• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux and Windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheFrag

To dual-boot with windows and linux, do i have to format? I know i probably do, but i dont wanna lose my stuff. Also, how much room does linux take up? And is there a diffrence between Red Hat 7.3 and 8? Thnx a lot.

No you do not need to format but you would need to repartition your harddrive, so as to make some space for a new linux partition. A RedHat Full Installation should not go over 2.5 GB(At the most), I am not sure about it though. And yeah, certainly there would be a difference between RedHat 7.3 and RedHat 8.0, like new softwares, updates, bug fixes and etc.

i hae 7.3, but i guess I will get around to downloaading 8 eventually

8 is pretty good, i know it can read NTFS now, dunno if 7.3 can....its sweet my linux can read my XP files very dope :D

i always recommend mandrake linux for beginners, its the easiest to install and it has "most" of the tricky stuff already good to go for you once you install it like sound, network, hardware dectection....i've always shyed away from RH to start off with go mandy

Back