• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux & [email protected] on a floppy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bergie007

Hey guys

A few years back I tried LOAF (Linux on a floppy) and some really small distro's but used ZipSlack(modded Slackware runs off Zip drive or Fat 32 thru DOS emulation) for a long time. I have been running a lot of [email protected] on my machine lately when I can and it goes quite quick. Thing is, since linux manages rescources so much better than M$, I was thinking that I could maybe get a linux distro onto a floppy with [email protected] ie the following:
- linux basic kernal
- LAN access ability
- [email protected] client

I wa thinking something like 2 floppies with linux on the first being loaded to a RAM-Drive and [email protected] running off a second disk.

Many of us can build a few PC's with a mobo, processor, RAM and NIC and so this way we could maybe get a few more folding boxes up.

If anyone knows how I can do this or has a kernal like this please contact me?!:D

David

Forums Super Moderator
bergie007 said:
Hey guys

A few years back I tried LOAF (Linux on a floppy) and some really small distro's but used ZipSlack(modded Slackware runs off Zip drive or Fat 32 thru DOS emulation) for a long time. I have been running a lot of [email protected] on my machine lately when I can and it goes quite quick. Thing is, since linux manages rescources so much better than M$, I was thinking that I could maybe get a linux distro onto a floppy with [email protected] ie the following:
- linux basic kernal
- LAN access ability
- [email protected] client

I wa thinking something like 2 floppies with linux on the first being loaded to a RAM-Drive and [email protected] running off a second disk.

Many of us can build a few PC's with a mobo, processor, RAM and NIC and so this way we could maybe get a few more folding boxes up.

If anyone knows how I can do this or has a kernal like this please contact me?!:D

Hi - I have go something similar set up on a bootable CD.

http://www.computeraddict.fsnet.co.uk/overfoldix

OP
bergie007

bergie007

Good idea and it's what I'm thinking but is it you project? Cos if so, maybe we can tweak the kernal down to a mb or 2 so it can fit on a floppy and run in ramdrive. Cos I don't know many people with a system with a cdrom that they can leave in it. What you think?

Jeff Bolton

i don't think the cdrom has to stay in...while it is still very much in development, the whole point is that you can load it up very quickly and let it run for as long as the computer's power stays on. theoretically this could be for a very long time, so you could just use the cdrom as a one time thing, then take it out, and only put it back in if you ever had to reboot.

to answer a question for david, yes it is his project. he's doing a very good job as far as i can tell, too.

jeff

David

Forums Super Moderator
bergie007 said:
Good idea and it's what I'm thinking but is it you project?
It is indeed :). It is loosely based on HAL91 - Christian Perle gave me an empty 2.88B bootable image, I used HAL91s inital ramdisk as a base and added a few scripts and the folding at home program. I also had to update a few things.

Cos if so, maybe we can tweak the kernal down to a mb or 2 so it can fit on a floppy and run in ramdrive. Cos I don't know many people with a system with a cdrom that they can leave in it. What you think?

The kernel is about 700k I think. It is a very basic bare minimum - no frills and no hard disk or CDROM drive support. The only time the CDROM drive is needed is when the system is first booted - the whole drive can be unplugged and reused after the system has booted.