• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux Foundation changing voting structure

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stratus_ss

Overclockix Snake Charming Senior, Alt OS Content
Have any of you caught wind of this? Its been getting some play the last few days in the media

https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/39546.html

The current theory is that the Linux Foundation is trying to prevent the election of members that would vote for GPL enforcement. I understand that this theory puts forth the idea that Microsoft and VMWare now are pulling their weight in the LF after a law suit was filed in Germany regarding enforcement.

I am not sure how true any of this is (except the part about the vote... i have been a linux foundation member for years so I can confirm at least the voting part)

What do you guys think?

I am kind of surprised there is no reaction to this....

I have seen elsewhere on the internet that this move was intended to keep the Social Justice Warriors (SJWs) out. If that is the case (as a long time member of LF) I whole heartedly agree. SJW have no place dictating terms in systems which require the best ideas (not ideologies) to prevail

The current theory is that the Linux Foundation is trying to prevent the election of members that would vote for GPL enforcement. I understand that this theory puts forth the idea that Microsoft and VMWare now are pulling their weight in the LF after a law suit was filed in Germany regarding enforcement.

I am curious as to this. Is Microsoft a known member of the LF or are they prosecuting from the outside? I would like to know more about the lawsuit in Germany if you know any more. I find it hard to understand why this fight would begin overseas instead of on the MS "home turf" stateside. I would think the laws would be more favorable here in the States rather than a foreign state I guess

I am curious as to this. Is Microsoft a known member of the LF or are they prosecuting from the outside? I would like to know more about the lawsuit in Germany if you know any more. I find it hard to understand why this fight would begin overseas instead of on the MS "home turf" stateside. I would think the laws would be more favorable here in the States rather than a foreign state I guess

Regarding the lawsuit: https://sfconservancy.org/copyleft-compliance/vmware-lawsuit-faq.html

Regarding Linux Foundation memberships: I found mostly references to the core infrastructure initiatives which MS participates in.

Back