• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

linux mandrake 9.0: is my system secure enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JayP

How secure is it to surf the internet using Konqueror, or other Linux internet browsers? Do they have security issues that Microsoft Internet Explorer has?

Do I need a program that detects "spyware" like Ad-Aware for linux?

Should I be using a virus scanner at all times like I do when using WinXP?

Is the firewall that comes with Mandrake good enough? Or should I be using another program?

I've never heard of anyone ever exploiting any of the exploits in IE, they all seem to be theoretical and fixed pretty quick. I've only heard of one bug for Mozilla, same for that.

Spyware detection isn't necessary because noone makes it for Linux. You don't need it on Windows either if you don't install spamware.

Don't need a virus scanner, not really many viruses for Linux. There are some worms, but those are pretty simple to defend against. If you don't know what a service is for, you shouldn't run it. That'll help security a bit right there.

All the Linux distros use the same firewall software, or they should be. Firewalling is built into the operating, its just a question of how a distro maker might configure it.

Thanks for the reply XWRed1;

In Linux Mandrake, when I go to control panel, then security, then firewall--I have no services checked off to allow any connection to the internet.

This should be fine right?

I am just using my Linux computer to surf the net, use newsgroups, use irc and use instant messaging. I don't want my computer to be a server of any kind. It is on a network with a router and no computers connect through it to reach the internet. What should my security level be set as? Standard, High, Higer or Paranoid?

Last edited:
It should be fine, if Mandrake is doing what they say they are doing there. I'd run a portscan on the box just to make sure.

Back