• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux RedHat 7.3 Internet Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mi6

Okey i run, a redhat 7.3 server and i keep losing my internet connection after a few hours.

im in back of a linksys 4 port router ( but i dont lose connection on my win system )

not sure what the problem might be.

System is in my signature. "Main Server" thanks

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
what is the DHCP lease length set to on the router? if it's set to a few hours, then there's your problem, set it alot longer.

Also, check if "dhclient" is running,
if it is, try disabling it.. it might be timing out or something, and messing with your IP settings
if it isn't running, try running it, it will talk to the DHCP server every once in a while and keep your settings up to date.

You can also try setting a static IP, this should solve any DHCP-related problems. Make sure to also set your default gateway and DNS servers.

How long does this outage last? -- what do you have to do to get it working again?

OP
Mi6

Mi6

how can i check if the dhclient is active, also where can i find the DHCP lease length,

and the outage last untill i reboot.

su root

you can find if dhclient is running by running this command:
Code:
ps -aux | grep dhclient
and if "dhclient" appears as one of the processes, then it's running.

Try setting the Lease Time on the router to a very long time, or if the option exists, set it to "never expire" (which is the same as setting it to like 50 years)

OP
Mi6

Mi6

su root said:
Try setting the Lease Time on the router to a very long time, or if the option exists, set it to "never expire" (which is the same as setting it to like 50 years)

So if "0" is one day what is 50years? 365x50 = 18250 for the lease number? btw i cant test that now = ( im in toronto visiting my sister. but would that number be acceptable?

su root

Any "Really Really Big Number" will work. The idea is that it will never reset the IP for any concievable amount of time. 50 years is just a really big number. There are very few computers that will last 50 years continually running in the same network structure, and the same OS.

OP
Mi6

Mi6

oh okey i will try that out when i get home, thanks allot. when i update the number do i need to reset the router? or just hit apply and run normaly?

and if that dosent work what other options might i have?

su root

I would reset it afterwards just to be sure.

If that doesn't work, then we try playing with dlclient, the DHCP client on the Linux box, or we can disable it, and set a static IP address for the machine.

BTW: when you first installed it, did you choose yes for "DHCP" and no for "IPv6"?

OP
Mi6

Mi6

su root said:
BTW: when you first installed it, did you choose yes for "DHCP" and no for "IPv6"?

not sure about that i think i sayed yes to DHCP since i know what it does and i have no idea about IPv6 and in normal setups using a router you need to enable DHCP to comunicat to the router?

su root

Mi6 said:
not sure about that i think i sayed yes to DHCP since i know what it does and i have no idea about IPv6 and in normal setups using a router you need to enable DHCP to comunicat to the router?

Well, if you chose yes to IPv6, then it would try to use IP version 6. The current standard is IP version 4. That may be causing communication problems.

If you chose yes to DHCP, it was the right thing to do. DHCP is Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol. It allows the router to configure the linux box so that it communicates properly.

It would help if you could post the output of the "ifconfig" command.

OP
Mi6

Mi6

okey, well i will post the output later tonight.

but im pretty sure i set it to DHCP since the internal ip and submask match my networks sethings.

thanks allot for the help. hope it works when i get home. = )

-M|6

Just a thought. How many computers are on the network.
My router came set for 3 DHCP computers. I kept loosing the network on one when I went to 4 computers. I just set it to 10 and everything works fine.

OP
Mi6

Mi6

su root said:
It would help if you could post the output of the "ifconfig" command.

This is the Output

[[email protected] root]# ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:E0:81:21:70:58
inet addr:192.168.1.4 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:1327 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:917 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
RX bytes:970461 (947.7 Kb) TX bytes:341448 (333.4 Kb)
Interrupt:10 Base address:0xe000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:10 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:10 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:700 (700.0 b) TX bytes:700 (700.0 b)

Oh ya and you sayed we can try to set a Static Ip if all else fails but im on a Dynamic Host so thats not gona work, plus i was wonderign you sayed to set it to 50years ( more or less ) but if my ip updates im gona need to reset my router no?

Mi6 said:
Well i have the Linksys BEFSR41 and theres 3 Computers on the network and the Nix box is the 3rd one.

Go to dhcp status and see how may dhcp leases are available. Set it for 10 or more.

Let me know what it says.

su root

Mi6 said:
Oh ya and you sayed we can try to set a Static Ip if all else fails but im on a Dynamic Host so thats not gona work, plus i was wonderign you sayed to set it to 50years ( more or less ) but if my ip updates im gona need to reset my router no?

Just go into the networking config and set it to a static IP. The network will have a DHCP server, but you don't have to use the DHCP server, you can set it as a static.

IP= 192.168.1.100
Mask= 255.255.255.0
Gateway= 192.168.1.1

OP
Mi6

Mi6

well im testing it out now..if the lease date fails im gona try the static idea usualy takes a few hours to test it but so far its working...

OP
Mi6

Mi6

well so far its working i did a combination of both post

set my lease time to 1850 day's and i set my DHCP users to 50 and well i left it on all night and it seems to be working fine!!! hope it hold.

thanks allot for the help = )

will post back in a few days to confirm it = )

!!!!! IM HAPPY IM HAPPY !!!!!!!

hope this helps other ppl with the same problem

* oh ya btw hehe i downloaded the new kernel fix for RH 7.3
and that might have fixed it but not sure =op*