• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux VM SMP and Windows GPU2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SeanBest

I'm running GPU2 in windows and running the SMP in a Linux VM. Is this possible, it seems since I started up the SMP in the Linux VM my GPU2 in Windows has slowed and slowed and has been sitting at 48% for nearly an hour.

Any ideas?

ozzlo

Senior whose title will pier
have you gone into the GPU client settings and bumped up the priority from idle to low?

OP
SeanBest

SeanBest

Is that under Configure > Advanced?

I see two options under Core Priority -

Lowest possible (recommended)
Slightly higher (use if other ...)

I changed it to the slightly higher, but it still seems to be sitting at 48%. I opened up CCC and GPUZ and both are showing 0% gpu load.

ozzlo

Senior whose title will pier
i'd restart the client, it might have hung up...

Are you running the rig in your sig?

Porvalsh

what is optimal here guys. I have my GPU clients folding in windows, with the VM linux SMP for my CPU. They seem to work fine together for the most part. I get 5-6k ppd for CPU and 3-5k for my 8800gts/gt.

Sydney

what is optimal here guys. I have my GPU clients folding in windows, with the VM linux SMP for my CPU. They seem to work fine together for the most part. I get 5-6k ppd for CPU and 3-5k for my 8800gts/gt.
That, or running fully in Linux will yield best performance.

Bluefalcon13

I am having an issue similar to this. GPU folding is taking 5 mins/frame as opposed to 1-3 mins a frame (depending on WU). this is while running a VMplayer Ubuntu box with SMP folding (rig in sig). For some reason, it wont let me set the VM's priority to low so it will be on the same level as the gpu client...

Anyone know how to fix this?

sneakysnowman

For me, the priories chosen from within the folding client never seemed to stick and randomly reverted to idle. So I googled around for a tool that will automatically force the right priorities:

Download Process Lasso from here. You don't need the pro version, the free one is fine

Install & click through the options. Default settings should usually be fine

Once installed and running, go to Options --> ProBalance Settings and make sure that "Enable ProBalance priority adjustments" is unticked. We don't want Process Lasso to change any priorities apart from what we tell it explicitly to do

Then go to Options and enable "Forced mode: Reapply process settings if they change"

Finally set the Priority level for your folds by going to Options --> Default Process Priorities. Type in the name of the running fah process, choose the priority level you want and hit add to list. Repeat for all other folds.

I use:
fahcore_11.exe to high (seems to give slightly higher PPD than when set to below normal. Experiment around a little. Maybe even try Realtime)
fahcore_14.exe to high (same story)
vmware-vmx.exe to idle (when running VMs)
fahcore_a1.exe to idle (when running the native windows SMP client)

ChasR

Sean,
Edit the .vmx file (VMware configuration file) to add:
priority.ungrabbed= "idle"
Minimize the VM. A grabbed VM runs at normal or higher priority. THis setting has never failed to "stick".

Add the following environment variables and values:

CAL_NO_FLUSH Value 1
CAL_PRE_FLUSH Value 1
BROOK_YEILD Value 2
FLUSH_INTERVAL Value 192

Your ATi card will now use 5% or less of the cpu cycles, much like a nVidia card. Set to low (slightly higher) priority the gpu will not be affected by the VM set to idle priority and the VM won't be affected nearly as much with fewer cpu cycles needed by the gpu. Third party process managers will work, but are unnecessary.

Last edited:

AmbientFiction

Senior Folding Zombie
Somewhere in the top 100 folders for team 32
Sean,
Edit the .vmxfile (VMware configuration file) to add:
priority.ungrabbed= "idle"
Minimize the VM. A grabbed VM runs at normal or higher priority. THis setting has never failed to "stick".

Add the following environment variables and values:

CAL_NO_FLUSH Value 1
CAL_PRE_FLUSH Value 1
BROOK_YEILD Value 2
FLUSH_INTERVAL Value 192

Your ATi card will now use 5% or less of the cpu cycles, much like a nVidia card. Set to low (slightly higher) priority the gpu will not be affected by the VM set to idle priority and the VM won't be affected nearly as much with fewer cpu cycles needed by the gpu. Third party process managers will work, but are unnecessary.

Well since this is VM and Nix don't forget to add

MPICH_NO_LOCAL = 1
^
Helped me shave 3mins per frame on my SMP times.

ChasR

I hadn't noticed he was on a dual core, so Sean does need that flag in the start up string of the Linux SMP client (not in Windows). It's a bit trickier to do in notfreds than full blown Linux distros. In ubuntu, I create a desktop shortcut with gedit:

export MPICH_NO_LOCAL=1
cd ~/folding
./fah6

I put -smp X -verbosity 9 in the extra parameters of advanced config.

THe MPICH_NO_LOCAL variable has no effect on quads.

Bluefalcon13

I hadn't noticed he was on a dual core, so Sean does need that flag in the start up string of the Linux SMP client (not in Windows). It's a bit trickier to do in notfreds than full blown Linux distros. In ubuntu, I create a desktop shortcut with gedit:

export MPICH_NO_LOCAL=1
cd ~/folding
./fah6

Could I get a little bit of clarification on this? I'm a linux noob, but I see reduced frame times in my future... :p

Currently getting about 18-22 mins/frame on my desktop (in sig) with a VMplayer Ubuntu Virtual Machine...

glussier

It's a bit trickier to do in notfreds than full blown Linux distros

Well, he could do a test first. At the boot prompt, when starting the vm, he only has to enter this line:

fold64 MPICH_NO_LOCAL=1. It will be valid until the next reboot.

ChasR

To make the export MPICH_NO_LOCAL=1 permanent in notfreds:
login as root (you may have to reconfigure notfreds to allow root login). Type the following (CR at each EOL):

mkdir /hda1
mount /dev/hda1 /hda1
sed -i -e 's+APPEND.*$+& MPICH_NO_LOCAL=1+' /hda1/syslinux.cfg
umount /hda1

Then reset the VM.

At the root prompt type: cat /proc/cmdline
it should list MPICH_NO_LOCAL=1

You probably should make a backup copy of your VM before doing this. A typo may render the VM useless.

Bluefalcon13

export MPICH_NO_LOCAL=1
cd ~/folding
./fah6

I'm a bit confused about how to perform this on a Ubuntu VM... are there some instructions out there where I can do this? Rig in sig., running the VM from Win7 x64. Additionally, I am running 9.10 Ubuntu x64

AmbientFiction

Senior Folding Zombie
Somewhere in the top 100 folders for team 32

export MPICH_NO_LOCAL=1
cd ~/folding
./fah6

So this way right here will work on Native Nix boxes?