• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Punkmasterflick

Ok, so linux is free to download? If it is where can I down load it, and which distribution do you guy suggest I use? Also, I have suse.. but i've heard it was hard to learn mandrake being one of the easist. But i remember putting both windows and linux on the same hdd, but i had to install linux first then do windows, i want to know if i can partition my hard drive and make it so linux would work. Another issue i have a gigabyte 7vrxp with the promise raid controller i have raid will linux detect it?

I suppose i shouyld list my computer.
xp1700+
geforce3 ti200
7vxrp mobo
256 pc2100
two ibm 120gxp hdd's on raid-0
also i have a usb cable modem.. linksys

I have had the best success with Redhat- 7.3 version in fact (8.0 will NOT install for some reason!)

If you are going to dual boot you MUST have Any MS operating systems on FIRST: they are not forgiving of any other systems and tend to wipe them out!

Not sure about any issues you need to be concerned about: USB in the newest linux kernel is excellent.

Some advice though: check the compatibility lit for whatever distro you choose and make sure any hardware you NEED is on there! Then get the drivers downloaded.

EDIT: just noticed the raid 0....I don't know if there are issues with that, and dual-booting....?

I tried to install suse, it wont detect the raid... or my hdd's for that matter... thanks for your help.

Get ISO's at www.linuxiso.org

What Raid controller?

You'll need to find out if any distro supports that controller, or if you can get the driver (if it uses one) from the manufacturer. You would then need to compile the kernel (on some other single harddrive) and add support for the raid controller.

Last edited:
if it werent for the raid controller id say stick with SuSE they are actually one of the best.....

Mandrake 9.0 installed on all my mobos with IDE raid (Abit & Highpoint). Installation went flawlessly and it's a good disto for beginners.

Back