• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Liquid Cooled my 590, open up an application, temps shoot to 100 Degrees C???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eugenius88

So I recently liquid cooled my 590, everything was running smoothly, coolant is going through it fine, however, I open up Google Chrome and check my temps with EVGA Percision X and BAM, my temperatures almost exponentially go up to 100 Degrees Celcius and that's when I turned off my computer to protect if from frying. What could I have possibly done wrong? This is my first time liquid cooling, so I'd suppose it's not perfect and I can't really pick out what I've done wrong...

1st picture is the only one where the system is on, the rest are after it hit the temps.
Right to Left
1st Picture: The inside while it was running

2nd Picture: Showing that the reservoir is full

3rd Picture: Showing that the fan has space to blow air, the pump/reservoir/radiator is on the 1st and 2nd drive, leaving the 3rd one free, also that is a Thermaltake 760 Pro

4th Picture: The 3-pin connector is in the sys fan(recommended by a member on the forum) connector since the cpu fan is taken by the Alienware processor cooling
Also the waterblock is fairly tarnished if that helps.

Attachments

• IMG_20130831_141250_940.jpg
    IMG_20130831_141250_940.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,218
  • IMG_20130831_150951_445.jpg
    IMG_20130831_150951_445.jpg
    791.8 KB · Views: 525
  • IMG_20130831_151022_418.jpg
    IMG_20130831_151022_418.jpg
    771.3 KB · Views: 536
  • IMG_20130831_151038_654.jpg
    IMG_20130831_151038_654.jpg
    991.8 KB · Views: 579
Are the tubes going to/from the GPU hot?

Can you hear the pump running?

Where's the radiator? I don't see one for the GPU in the pictures.

Are the tubes going to/from the GPU hot?

Can you hear the pump running?

Where's the radiator? I don't see one for the GPU in the pictures.
When I checked on idle, no.

I hear the fans, that's for sure, but I am not entirely sure if I hear the pump.

The radiator is what the tubing is connected to, it's above the fan.

If you are not familiar with this the link for it is here

http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001962

Check while the GPU is hot.

Double check that the pump is running.

That radiator isn't big enough for a 590. It won't get that hot that fast, but it definitely won't run at 45C like a properly radded system.

Sounds like the pump isn't running. Even at idle, your temps will skyrocket immediately if there is no flow.

Double check that the 3-pin connector you plugged it into is turned ON in your bios, and doesn't have any "quiet" features active. Some bios settings to lower fan noise will not give the pump enough voltage to actually start spinning.

Hate to say it, but a quote more than a few use around the WC folks.

"Friends don't let friends use TT water cooling".

Something very well could of failed. Back in 2007/8 I looked at TT watercooling, thankfully I found folks like this. The Bigwater is a very old design, and was very prone to failure. If you got a few years out of it you did well!

How old is the TT Bigwater?

Please consider it's time, it worked for a while, time to move on.

Check while the GPU is hot.

Double check that the pump is running.

That radiator isn't big enough for a 590. It won't get that hot that fast, but it definitely won't run at 45C like a properly radded system.
What size radiator would you recommend?

At least a 120.2 for a dual GPU card. A 120.3 would be ideal for a 590.

Sounds like the pump isn't running. Even at idle, your temps will skyrocket immediately if there is no flow.

Double check that the 3-pin connector you plugged it into is turned ON in your bios, and doesn't have any "quiet" features active. Some bios settings to lower fan noise will not give the pump enough voltage to actually start spinning.

Where can I find it in BIOS?

At least a 120.2 for a dual GPU card. A 120.3 would be ideal for a 590.
How could I attach that on my Thermaltake 760? You're talking someone who has no experience with liquid cooling, this is my first time doing it.

How could I attach that on my Thermaltake 760? You're talking someone who has no experience with liquid cooling, this is my first time doing it.

If you've had that Tt system for a while, you would be better off getting rid of it and going with a proper custom loop.

Hate to say it, but a quote more than a few use around the WC folks.

"Friends don't let friends use TT water cooling".

Something very well could of failed. Back in 2007/8 I looked at TT watercooling, thankfully I found folks like this. The Bigwater is a very old design, and was very prone to failure. If you got a few years out of it you did well!

How old is the TT Bigwater?

Please consider it's time, it worked for a while, time to move on.

^ +1

Listen to this man and myself OP. Throw that TT 760 in the garbage. That's the present you give someone in your family you can't stand and hope for the worse.

Chances are something's going to happen with that "cooler". Pump is prone to failure and it has mixed metals. Yes, that radiator is aluminum. Lets hope you're not wrecking that GPU block as I am sure they stopped making that particular full block for some time now.

Don't do this to your GTX 590. A GTX 590 is 2x Fermi's on one PCB. They can run as hot as my steamy 480s (Fermi) in SLI do (x2) and draw a lot of power. (250w each) You're not even at minimal requirement to cool that GPU.

Rule of thumb is 120.2 per chip to silent and cool operations or 120.1 on high FPI/high RPM.

You'll need to read the yellow stickies to intro to Watercooling and dump that TT 760. Once you become more familiar you will know exactly what we're talking about and we'll gladly assist you.

Where can I find it in BIOS?

You can't find in in the bios. It's not connected to the CPU_FAN header or a USB to some specific software. It all runs off the box in the slot.

It is a POS. You need me to explain POS, please PM me because it has cuss words in it.

I'll sav it again. We have stickies with real world usage what works for real world watercooling. TT watercooling is NEVER EVER mentioned.

Does that help?

If you want to watercool, great.

I think with your old PC, a $30 air cooler on the CPU is more than what you need. It has to be an old PC, due to your input. And it will cool better than the TT joke you did have.

STICKIES. RESEARCH
. ETC. It's your stuff only so much we can do.:confused:

Even if water wasn't flowing, an instant shot to 100c clearly seems like a mounting issue to me.

I'm harsh, you get the message, I pull no nice fluffy punches. Once you hit 5 posts you can make a sig. We still have no clue what your case, CPU, GPU, fans, room temps etc etc are.

We ask a lot, but we solve problems very well. 5000 mile ts-shooting free means a LOT you have to do eh? Info is needed, feed us. Read LOTS of posts, 15 hours of coffee and good research, we really will meld... And be able to help.

You guys aren't helping him with ****. You're completely ignoring what's probably wrong and blaming it all on him having a ****ty brand cooler.

4th Picture: The 3-pin connector is in the sys fan connector

The pump is plugged in to a 3 pin fan header.

You'll find the controls for fan speed in the "PC Health" or "Hardware Monitor" or something section of your motherboard. You'll have to dig around for it, because we don't know what specific model it is.

Turn it to 100% speed and see if that helps.

Even if water wasn't flowing, an instant shot to 100c clearly seems like a mounting issue to me.

My motherboard has been sending a wonky pwm signal which made my pump shut off a couple times this week. It instantly shot to shutdown temperatures during normal web browsing before I noticed the pump was off.

I'm harsh, you get the message, I pull no nice fluffy punches. Once you hit 5 posts you can make a sig. We still have no clue what your case, CPU, GPU, fans, room temps etc etc are.

We ask a lot, but we solve problems very well. 5000 mile ts-shooting free means a LOT you have to do eh? Info is needed, feed us. Read LOTS of posts, 15 hours of coffee and good research, we really will meld... And be able to help.
We'll you'll hate me when I say this, but it's an Alienware Aurora R3 I got for Christmas two years ago.
Case: Alienware Aurora R3
Processor: Intel i7-2600k 4.1 ghZ
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 590
Room Temps: 60-70º
Ram: 16GB DDR3 1600mhz
BIOS: Alienware Aurora R3 BIOS A06
Motherboard Intel P67 Express
Anything else can be asked for, but I JUST bought this TT 760 and I have no desire to throw it out nor do I think I'm able to snatch a refund on it. If I need to reiterate once more, I will, I have ZERO experience with liquid cooling, this is my first time doing it, I made mistakes, of course but it's too late to change it because I don't want to spend anymore money now. I can spend money later, but if I can get some actual tips for what I have, that will be greatly appreciated.

I've speculated I've mounted the water block wrong, but when I check the pads, they're all lined up, however I probably screwed myself over with the thermal paste/screwing of the screws, I don't really know.

Back