• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Liquid Cooled my 590, open up an application, temps shoot to 100 Degrees C???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GTXJackBauer

Water Cooling Senior Member, #TEAMH20HNO
OP, just make sure you stick to this thread and do your reading and understanding of watercooling. In the mean time keep that machine shut off so you're not killing off that dual GPU.

Also when you say 100c, which chip are you talking about? I hope you know that PCB has 2 GPU's on it right? Imagine 100c x2 on one PCB.

OP
E

Eugenius88

You guys aren't helping him with ****. You're completely ignoring what's probably wrong and blaming it all on him having a ****ty brand cooler.

The pump is plugged in to a 3 pin fan header.

You'll find the controls for fan speed in the "PC Health" or "Hardware Monitor" or something section of your motherboard. You'll have to dig around for it, because we don't know what specific model it is.

Turn it to 100% speed and see if that helps.

My motherboard has been sending a wonky pwm signal which made my pump shut off a couple times this week. It instantly shot to shutdown temperatures during normal web browsing before I noticed the pump was off.

That's exactly what happened, except I suppose the pump is currently off, I put in my BIOS information in a reply, so you can refer to that.

Also with help from a friend who's a techie, told me to switch one of the cpu fans on the mobo with my pump's connector, so it's different now, however made 0 difference.

GTXJackBauer

Pump on or OFF it doesn't matter. You don't have sufficient cooling for that 590!!!!!!!! FFS stop and listen people.

RnRollie

+1
the TT cannot handle the 590, even if you would be able to run it a full tilt
That said, it should not go through the roof on idle either
Best to not run this abomination of a fan header, as only God knows what Dell does to their MB/Bios settings .... use one of those psu-molex to fan cables which come with some fans... actually, most likely there was one with the TT

Also, i want a better picture... it might just be a shadow/illusion in the first picture.. but it looks as if there is a huge airbubble :shock:

Last edited:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
My motherboard has been sending a wonky pwm signal which made my pump shut off a couple times this week. It instantly shot to shutdown temperatures during normal web browsing before I noticed the pump was off.
Peculiar. I can run with my pump off for a couple minutes before anything happens. It is not REMOTELY near "instant" in my loop. :shrug:

Then again, there isn't a dual gpu card that was in there but still a 200w+ gpu...but you still need time to heat and saturate the block. That system isn't enough, but it still screams poor mount to me.

Last edited:

\dev\goat

man /dev/goat
It is not REMOTELY near "instant" in my loop. :shrug:

I was using that term very loosely, my friend :beer:

I mean going from idling @ 30c while reading an article or watching a youtube video to getting a 100c warning, instant. The transition from "everythings fine" to "holy ****" is instant since my pump is so quiet I can't hear it shut off.

It's happened twice this week :shrug:

I know that the pump won't spin at all if it's set at 25% or below in my bios, which was my suggestion to OP. But there's no reason mine should be just shutting off by itself. Maybe time for a new board :bang head

OP
E

Eugenius88

+1
the TT cannot handle the 590, even if you would be able to run it a full tilt
That said, it should not go through the roof on idle either
Best to not run this abomination of a fan header, as only God knows what Dell does to their MB/Bios settings .... use one of those psu-molex to fan cables which come with some fans... actually, most likely there was one with the TT

Also, i want a better picture... it might just be a shadow/illusion in the first picture.. but it looks as if there is a huge airbubble :shock:
Well I wish I knew this earlier, I was suggested it on the Alienware Arena forums with the information known that I had a 590, oh well. How does a psu-molex fan cable work? And is brand important? I am trying to be cautious as I can trying not to get the TT incident where I buy the wrong thing. Also what do you suggest I buy since the TT is not sufficient? I can probably scrap enough money to get whatever I need.

I speculate that the liquid is not actually going through, my dad suggested he put the tubing through and he used the fitting that came with the TT CPU block and put it on my Alphacool block and I feel like that is blocking the liquid from going through because the liquid looks like it's just sitting in the tubing and not actually going anywhere. Either that or the pump as expressed previously but yeah I'll give you another photo of it on:

Attachments

• IMG_20130901_093414_212.jpg
    IMG_20130901_093414_212.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 134
  • IMG_20130901_093321_099.jpg
    IMG_20130901_093321_099.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 133
  • IMG_20130901_093334_452.jpg
    IMG_20130901_093334_452.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 133

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
Well I wish I knew this earlier, I was suggested it on the Alienware Arena forums with the information known that I had a 590, oh well. How does a psu-molex fan cable work? And is brand important? I am trying to be cautious as I can trying not to get the TT incident where I buy the wrong thing. Also what do you suggest I buy since the TT is not sufficient? I can probably scrap enough money to get whatever I need.

The guys on Alienware Arena probably don't build full custom water loops.

I suggest you go into the watercooling stickies and read. Read until your eyes bleed and your brain is full.
Once you understand how it all works (heat load, deltaT, mmH2O, CFM, etc) then you'll know how to set up a proper watercooling system.

It takes time, but its the price to pay for a water cooled computer.

GTXJackBauer

If the fluid looks like its not moving than either the pump is dead or there is already blockage. Could be from growth.

OP
E

Eugenius88

If only I could get a full refund and make a system from scratch, this is getting me irritated. I'll be sure to read the watercooling stickies, all of them or just the beginner one? That's most likely the thing, I need to check my block, the tubes, and the pump.

GTXJackBauer

If only I could get a full refund and make a system from scratch, this is getting me irritated. I'll be sure to read the watercooling stickies, all of them or just the beginner one? That's most likely the thing, I need to check my block, the tubes, and the pump.

Start with the Beginners. Take your time and get back to us.

In the meantime, take out that GPU and use the onboard GPU from the CPU.

xsuperbgx

Benching Team Leader
You need to see if the pump is running. Can you seperate the wires to the pump from the fan wires? You should be able to remove your GPU and the cooling system and test it on your workbench. If you have an old or spare psu, you can use a piece of wire to turn on the psu without it plugged into anything(except the wall). Then connect the pump and see if you can hear it running.

OP
E

Eugenius88

Start with the Beginners. Take your time and get back to us.

In the meantime, take out that GPU and use the onboard GPU from the CPU.
So question here, the tubes are filled with coolant, how do I dispose of it before I take out my GPU, I don't want the computer to die here.

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
So question here, the tubes are filled with coolant, how do I dispose of it before I take out my GPU, I don't want the computer to die here.

A proper loop will have a fill port and a drain port.

With this TT, you'll have to get creative. If you can take the waterblock off and pull it out with the res, then open it up after its out that would be great.

xsuperbgx

Benching Team Leader
Can you pull the gpu and the cooling assembly out without disconnecting the hoses?
Then you could test on the bench to troubleshoot your problem.

mokrunka

Friends don't let friends buy thermaltake for a reason (somewhere here someone has that for a signature).

I had one of those 760 "Bigwater" coolers a few years ago. I pulled off my Hyper 212, stuck that bad boy on my i7 920, and my temps went through the roof. That cooler is completely underradded and useless.

I would have AT LEAST 120.3 in a black ice SR1 and an MCP 655 for a dual GPU. Probably not what you want to hear, but still.

I cooled 2 GTX 470s (and later 2 580s) and a 920 on 120.9 cooling, and it was more than sufficient, but two GPUs put out a lot of heat.

Those self contained TT systems are designed for newbs (no offense) who buy into the marketing and want to be able to say their system is WC'd. At BEST they are equivalent to stock air cooling in a poorly ventilated environment.

Conumdrum

You just disconnect the tubes and drain it. You use towels, buckets, a sink. You use the noggin on your head pretty much. If it leaks all over the place on the mobo etc then you clean the mobo etc properly and let it dry. If power isn't applied it won't hurt anything. Of course the 1 day cleaning and the 2-3 day drying can take a while.

Take the block off the GPU, you should be able to do that with the GPU out of the slot. Then feed the GPU block and TT junk out the front of the case. Send it to your enemy.

Keep the GPU block!!!!!

Then gather up about $200 for real watercooling or put the air cooler back on. You need a real rad and a great pump. Buy a great pump NOW, it will last forever. And fans, and maybe a few fittings. Put the rad out back on a radbox etc.

There are VERY nice aftermarket air coolers for that GPU at about $100. Ack maybe not, not a lot of options if any, wasn't a real big seller due to the heat it made.

And in your spare time, spend about 2-4 weeks learning about watercooling before buying ONE replacement part, anything, one bit. You treat water cooling as a hobby, to be savored and enjoyed and it takes time. I spent 3 months hanging out on forums learning stuff and reading before I bought ONE part. You don't want to do that, then just stay air cooling.

This could help, I wrote it long ago, you are AoN, the guy I wrote it for.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6489396&postcount=3

Last edited:

xsuperbgx

Benching Team Leader
You just disconnect the tubes and drain it. You use towels, buckets, a sink. You use the noggin on your head pretty much. If it leaks all over the place on the mobo etc then you clean the mobo etc properly and let it dry. If power isn't applied it won't hurt anything. Of course the 1 day cleaning and the 2-3 day drying can take a while.

Take the block off the GPU, you should be able to do that with the GPU out of the slot. Then feed the GPU block and TT junk out the front of the case. Send it to your enemy.

Then gather up about $300 for real watercooling or put the air cooler back on.

There are VERY nice aftermarket air coolers for that GPU at about $100.
You have a good waterblock for your card, so you have a good starting point. Look at getting a radiator and a pump. You could try one of the ddc1 here and then get a 120.3 radiator. Your biggest problem then, is where to mount it.

GTXJackBauer

Turn off the PC and unplug the PSU.

Bring a big bowl for the fluid to spill into.

Also, bring lots of towels, shammies.

Take out the GPU while connected to the bigwater.

Turn the GPU around so the barbs on the card are facing downward into the big bowl with towels covering the card incase of a spill or splash effect.

Loosen one of the barbs and make sure that tube hits the bowl quick as it will spew lots of liquid out as well as the GPU. Make sure the GPU block is tilted to an angle away from the PCB while the liquid is dripping.

Loosen the other barb and repeat the step before. Make sure the GPU has all the liquid out as you'll need to clean it with some warm distilled was. Plug the threaded holes and do a "rad dance" a couple of times to make sure you get whatever you could out of that card. Once that's done, put it to the side and let it dry.

Take the Bigwater, drain it and than package it fedex next day delivery to your most hated Ex.

The End. :muahaha: