• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Liquid Cooled my 590, open up an application, temps shoot to 100 Degrees C???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OP
E

Eugenius88

Since I can't reply to everyone in a quick fashion, I'd like to thank you guys actually, I'm going to be buying everything else(thanks to my Dad for letting me do work around the house to pay it off) and I'll be saving up this TT for some dougal who comes my way :).

I will be doing the pipe draining a bit later, and honestly I have not planned to reuse the computer with the stock air cooler ever again, getting 95ºC full load isn't something I want to put my precious card through again.

If someone could give me a check list, It'd be great. I might decide to do a double loop to the GPU then the CPU with the new system if the new one I'd get, beats the pre-installed Alienware Liquid Cooling.

With that in mind, I can use a 120.2/3 radiator just for the 590 since it's a big one to deal with and get a 120.1 for where the old radiator used to be for the CPU, since 120.1 is sufficient enough.

You can stick some radiators outside right?

The Double Loop idea would work right? 120.2/120.3 Rad to the GPU then to the 120.1 Rad then to the CPU and the process repeats. Good enough?

Also I believe the Mobo came with a pre-liquid cooling, so that is that.

I have read all the way up to radiators from the Beginner’s Guide to Water Cooling Your PC and I'm fairly understanding. Yet, the $100+ pumps do scare me with price but I guess they're worth it right?

With the information I provided, me being a rookie, you guys being well experienced, could I get some recommendations on parts/how many I need(radiator size, etc.).

IMPORTANT QUESTIONS:

What tubing size do you guys go for?

Are there specific fittings that are better?

DISTILLED WATER OR COOLANT???

At this point I'll be doing aesthetics, so what tubing is best/prettiest(hehe)?

Why is TT still making the 760 Pro?

BRANDS! Which brands for each thing(pump,rad,reservoir)have been proven to be the best quality? Quality > Price, for me right now.

I am having an endless budget at this point, so give me what you got, but nothing to crazily expensive, I'll be working for my money here lol.

Sorry for bombarding you guys with questions, I just don't want to go the TT way again :(

Just informing you know, you've been dealing with an inexperienced 16 year old this whole time, so I apologize for my inexperience in life and in water cooling.

Conumdrum

Since I can't reply to everyone in a quick fashion, I'd like to thank you guys actually, I'm going to be buying everything else(thanks to my Dad for letting me do work around the house to pay it off) and I'll be saving up this TT for some dougal who comes my way :).

I will be doing the pipe draining a bit later, and honestly I have not planned to reuse the computer with the stock air cooler ever again, getting 95ºC full load isn't something I want to put my precious card through again.

If someone could give me a check list, It'd be great. I might decide to do a double loop to the GPU then the CPU with the new system if the new one I'd get, beats the pre-installed Alienware Liquid Cooling.

I cut out most of your post to make the reply short and to the point. In 2-3 weeks AFTER you have beat the stickies to death then ask questions. Otherwise you will beat your head against the wall and we won't enjoy it either, since 90% is in the stickies. They are there for a reason. Consider it a class you NEED to get an A+ in.

I'm 55, your young. Slow down, but usually saying that to a young person doesn't help. Slow down or make bad decisions and prepare to frustrate all of us here. I'll see you in a few weeks. Then I'll help.

OP
E

Eugenius88

I cut out most of your post to make the reply short and to the point. In 2-3 weeks AFTER you have beat the stickies to death then ask questions. Otherwise you will beat your head against the wall and we won't enjoy it either, since 90% is in the stickies. They are there for a reason. Consider it a class you NEED to get an A+ in.

I'm 55, your young. Slow down, but usually saying that to a young person doesn't help. Slow down or make bad decisions and prepare to frustrate all of us here. I'll see you in a few weeks. Then I'll help.
How exactly would I beat the stickies to death? Read them through and vigorously take useful notes? Treat them like an AP class where you'd have to study it and pick out the most important aspects of them and take it into account and know it by heart? If so, sounds like a challenge I'd like to take. If everything I said is correct, I'll see you guys in a couple weeks. I might pop in a few questions from time to time if I'm trying to double check something, otherwise, I'd like to thank you guys for the support and may we cross paths soon.

GTXJackBauer

Water Cooling Senior Member, #TEAMH20HNO
How exactly would I beat the stickies to death? Read them through and vigorously take useful notes? Treat them like an AP class where you'd have to study it and pick out the most important aspects of them and take it into account and know it by heart? If so, sounds like a challenge I'd like to take. If everything I said is correct, I'll see you guys in a couple weeks. I might pop in a few questions from time to time if I'm trying to double check something, otherwise, I'd like to thank you guys for the support and may we cross paths soon.

:salute: Sounds like a plan. We'll be here for ya. :thup:

Conumdrum

Perfect! You got it! It's not that hard but the bits and pieces, diff rad designs and fans, fittings, liquids all take a while.

With the stickies and you just reading lots of posts you'll get it. Getting a leak in the case or buying the wrong stuff sucks terribly. Treat it as a hobby, like the railroad set your grandpa had in the basement, building for 20 years. It's fun, otherwise not worth the trouble.

GTXJackBauer

Water Cooling Senior Member, #TEAMH20HNO
Treat it as a hobby, like the railroad set your grandpa had in the basement, building for 20 years. It's fun, otherwise not worth the trouble.

I always wanted one of those big mini city railroad sets when I was young.

OP
E

Eugenius88

I've made a discovery you guys. So my TT 760 is not the issue IN THIS CASE. It was the fittings I used for my GPU block. My dad thought it was a resourceful idea to use the fittings from the TT CPU Block. HOWEVER! The thread for it was much deeper than the GPU block's recommended fittings. The GPU Block I have, the Alphacool NexXxos 590, the thread should be about 3x smaller than the CPU's fittings. I had a feeling from the beginning this was a bad idea, because what I believed, it's just blocking the flow of the coolant, which is most likely is the issue, so I have to drain the tubes and get new fittings and I'll have to get to you guys when I do that, I'm still reading the watercooling stickies, and if it still doesn't work, then I know where to go.

Conumdrum

Aha, yep, seen that before, very easy to miss. Good job, at least you found the issue, now we can see if the TT unit with it's small rad can handle the monster wattage. I'm curious.

OP
E

Eugenius88

Aha, yep, seen that before, very easy to miss. Good job, at least you found the issue, now we can see if the TT unit with it's small rad can handle the monster wattage. I'm curious.
I'll be getting to draining it once I read the section, UNLESS, common sense is enough, then that's all I need. With that said and using common sense, I'd need to start by bringing the gpu, with tubes still in, outside the case. If I can, flip it upside down, have it over a bowl, and start to take the tubing out letting the liquid fall in bowl? Take out the fittings and going at it later?

mokrunka

That should work, yes. Make sure and cover everything up with paper towels before you start moving things around.

OP
E

Eugenius88

And make sure you have the proper liquid to refill it. It needs to be the Anti-corrosion type
Would you suggest reusing the coolant if there is enough left?
I would use distilled water, but I don't have a biocide.

Conumdrum

If there is enough, yes. If you need to add a bit of distilled to top it off, fine. You lose over 1/4 of the liquid, get more from TT. Or use 30% antifreeze and distilled AND a biocide. There is no rush, do it right.

Conumdrum

Can you measure the depth of the fitting hole? Have a standard cheap micrometer for such uses? A piece of paper with mm marks will do just fine. Let us know the thread depth of the block hole.

OP
E

Eugenius88

Can you measure the depth of the fitting hole? Have a standard cheap micrometer for such uses? A piece of paper with mm marks will do just fine. Let us know the thread depth of the block hole.
I am mostly assuming this, since I haven't actually taken my tubing out yet since I have homework to do, but I got this off the website of my water block and I BELIEVE it is the information you are looking for:

Connection threads: 4x ¼ Inch

If it isn't then I'll be sure to take out my tubing tomorrow and tell you then.

Conumdrum

The threads are G1/4 BSPP. Standard watercooling threads. No INCHES, it's metric. Welcome to water cooling custom. All of our threads are BSPP G1/4 threads. Some holes are drilled deeper, some thinner.

Welcome to water cooling. Now maybe you see the blind pulled back 5%, you learned something.. You got lots to learn.

So your numbers are fully out the window because you don't know what they mean yet.

You need to measure the depth of the hole where the threads are, just the part with threads, not the full depth to the bottom of the plate under the holes. It's science, treat is as such.

mokrunka

That sounds like the thread prep. Most WC parts have what is known as G 1/4 BSPP (british standard pipe parallel). This is not the same as the depth that Con is talking about. Unless you have a CAD drawing, you will probably have to just pull the fitting off and measure it like he suggested.

OP
E

Eugenius88

The threads are G1/4 BSPP. Standard watercooling threads. No INCHES, it's metric. Welcome to water cooling custom. All of our threads are BSPP G1/4 threads. Some holes are drilled deeper, some thinner.

Welcome to water cooling. Now maybe you see the blind pulled back 5%, you learned something.. You got lots to learn.

So your numbers are fully out the window because you don't know what they mean yet.

You need to measure the depth of the hole where the threads are, just the part with threads, not the full depth to the bottom of the plate under the holes. It's science, treat is as such.
Good thing I didn't buy it lol. I'll get back to you guys tomorrow then and I'll inform you about the size.

OP
E

Eugenius88

After close evaluation, fittings were ok, pump was DOA, thanks Thermaltake, I'll be sure to recommend you to my ex :)

Also I've decided to move cases, mostly because I'm planning on getting ~120.5 for my GPU and CPU and I'll most likely get either an 800D or a 900D(depending if I plan on overkill upgrading later on in life). I'm most likely gonna go through with a XPSC watercooling kit(for value) and buy separate radiators later, what I ask of you guys. Would you recommend the 800D/900D or something else? Should I get the raystorm kit as 360 or 480? I plan on doing either 1 or 2 loops, 1 loop would be 480 for gpu and cpu or I'd do 2 loops, one for gpu(120.3) and one for cpu(120.2). What are your guys' thoughts? Good or bad choice?