• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Liquid Cooled my 590, open up an application, temps shoot to 100 Degrees C???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GTXJackBauer

Water Cooling Senior Member, #TEAMH20HNO
After close evaluation, fittings were ok, pump was DOA, thanks Thermaltake, I'll be sure to recommend you to my ex :)

:rofl:........:thup:

Also I've decided to move cases, mostly because I'm planning on getting ~120.5 for my GPU and CPU and I'll most likely get either an 800D or a 900D(depending if I plan on overkill upgrading later on in life). I'm most likely gonna go through with a XPSC watercooling kit(for value) and buy separate radiators later, what I ask of you guys. Would you recommend the 800D/900D or something else? Should I get the raystorm kit as 360 or 480? I plan on doing either 1 or 2 loops, 1 loop would be 480 for gpu and cpu or I'd do 2 loops, one for gpu(120.3) and one for cpu(120.2). What are your guys' thoughts? Good or bad choice?

Welcome back. :D

Its all up to you how much you want to spend and what your plan might look in the future. You'll want to do this as one loop. No point in doing 2 separate loops.

With that said, you can either do a 360 for the CPU + GPU in a 800D and if you decide to add more to the loop you will need to modify the 800D or go with the 900D and add a 360 or 480 up to you for the time being on the CPU + GPU and always add to the loop as there's lots of room to play with. 800D will save you lots but is limited to space or you'll spend more with the 900D but make life way easier. I'd would go the 900D route (already have lol) as it will allow you to add whatever you want and have the ability to move heaven and earth if you choose too down the road. :p

OP
E

Eugenius88

:rofl:........:thup:

Welcome back. :D

Its all up to you how much you want to spend and what your plan might look in the future. You'll want to do this as one loop. No point in doing 2 separate loops.

With that said, you can either do a 360 for the CPU + GPU in a 800D and if you decide to add more to the loop you will need to modify the 800D or go with the 900D and add a 360 or 480 up to you for the time being on the CPU + GPU and always add to the loop as there's lots of room to play with. 800D will save you lots but is limited to space or you'll spend more with the 900D but make life way easier. I'd would go the 900D route (already have lol) as it will allow you to add whatever you want and have the ability to move heaven and earth if you choose too down the road. :p
I'll be sure this ~$700 will be going to good use and go with the 900D. Also if you're familiar with XSPC, would you know the difference between the radiators and would you recommend getting a kit or buying them separate?

GTXJackBauer

I'll be sure this ~$700 will be going to good use and go with the 900D. Also if you're familiar with XSPC, would you know the difference between the radiators and would you recommend getting a kit or buying them separate?

Is that budget including the price of the case or just $700 total in H20?

Each XSPC product line is a difference in FPI count.

For me personally, I would go custom. Once I went custom, it's safe to say I will never looked back. Those kits are nice for starters. Low-mid budget and picked out for you as compared to a custom. If you go custom which to some can be the fun part which involves a whole different experience as you get to pick out the parts. It could be based on noise, size and performance as well as aesthetics. Kits are as is. Don't get me wrong they perform really well. Only thing about custom is there's usually a "budget" (lol) which ends up fading away from what it was set to be. Once you start you can't stop. At least from my perspective. :p

Again its your call if you want more rad and quiet fans or loud fans with less rad. Going with a 900D, my guess is you're going for a quiet operation.

OP
E

Eugenius88

Is that budget including the price of the case or just $700 total in H20?

Each XSPC product line is a difference in FPI count.

For me personally, I would go custom. Once I went custom, it's safe to say I will never looked back. Those kits are nice for starters. Low-mid budget and picked out for you as compared to a custom. If you go custom which to some can be the fun part which involves a whole different experience as you get to pick out the parts. It could be based on noise, size and performance as well as aesthetics. Kits are as is. Don't get me wrong they perform really well. Only thing about custom is there's usually a "budget" (lol) which ends up fading away from what it was set to be. Once you start you can't stop. At least from my perspective. :p

Again its your call if you want more rad and quiet fans or loud fans with less rad. Going with a 900D, my guess is you're going for a quiet operation.
$700 total for case and H2O cooling, $350 already goes in for the 900D, $350 is left for water cooling. I've been curious, what is the BIG difference between a single pump reservoir and a double pump reservoir? XPSC has the reservoir/pump combo and I'm not entirely sure what the point is between one and two pumps, but I'd think, more LPH/GPH?

GTXJackBauer

My post about the 800D, I meant as a single CPU and single GPU setup. I forgot you have a GTX 590 and CPU to cool. Please make a signature so we don't get confused.

$350 budget for H20 is pushing it but can be done. You'll either need lots of radiator @ low FPI @ low rpm fans or less radiator @ high FPI @ high RPM fans. Do you want your rig silent or loud? Going silent will be more.

I could pick out the parts for you for example but I believe it will be above $350. That also includes all your fittings being barbs only.

Well here, let me give it a shot.

XSPC Raystorm CPU Block - $49.99*

Swiftech MCR220 Quiet Power (12 FPI) - $49.95*

Swiftech MCR420 Quiet Power (12 FPI) - $82.95*

Monsoon Series Two DDC Premium Dual 5.25” Reservoir - $94.95* or $56.95* without the MCP-35X mount to the reservoir which means you can place the pump somewhere else in the case.

Swiftech MCP-35X Pump - $84.99*

PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Tubing - $24.99* (Your choice in color)

Swiftech Barbs (Pack of 2) - $3.95* (x10 for all your components = $19.75) (You'll need some metal clamps for those barbs as well. You can pick those up at a hardware store for cheap. Also, depending what size tubing you choose also depends on the size of barbs.)

Silver Kill Coil - $6.99*

Gallon of Distilled Water at local shop - $1.00-$2.00

Fans are up to you. Just make sure they are Low-Mid RPM with good static pressure. Take a look at THESE. There are 2 rounds of tests and pick the ones you can fit in your over budget. You'll only be doing push on the radiators.

Total - $416.56 (Without Fans) / $376.56 (Without Fans and DDC mounted reservoir)

Took sometime and came up with this scenario for you. The parts used are pretty premium but at the lowest price possible. Hope this helps you out.

* = Links to a etailer site of the actual product.

Conumdrum

A 420 would be enough without overclocking, since gaming doesn't use the CPU as much. I think a 420 would work. He can add a 220 in a few weeks to few months. Helps a bit.

He could use just the 35x and a cheap res for now. The Swiftech Microres. It's good and cheap. Again, once he gets a bit of coin down the road he can make it really full blown with a nice Bay res like the Monsoon. I really like it. The res choice won't make a bit of temp diff OP. It's just to hold water. Of course a pretty one is better.

Bobnova

Please do keep in mind that OCing a GTX590 more than a little bit is a great way to kill it. The power bits are woefully undersized, much like the reference GTX570. When pushed hard the low side MOSFETs tend to explode.

If you're WCing to reduce noise, that's fine.
If you're WCing to give more OCing room, don't, there isn't any.

Bobnova

Yeah that's to power the memory on the 580, the memory power section burns up the inductors on that if you voltmod it and start cranking the memory. The core power section is just as big as the 480s.
That's shammy, as a note.

The 570s problem is that it removes 2 of 5 core phases while only dropping power draw ~40w.

OP
E

Eugenius88

Please do keep in mind that OCing a GTX590 more than a little bit is a great way to kill it. The power bits are woefully undersized, much like the reference GTX570. When pushed hard the low side MOSFETs tend to explode.

If you're WCing to reduce noise, that's fine.
If you're WCing to give more OCing room, don't, there isn't any.
I originally wanted to do water cooling to reduce my gpu temps from 95ºC full load to something more reasonable, now a bunch of unexpected things are happening. I was thinking of OCing 590 possibly but thank you for telling me, that would've been painful, setting up watercooling for it to only crash and fall.

OP
E

Eugenius88

My post about the 800D, I meant as a single CPU and single GPU setup. I forgot you have a GTX 590 and CPU to cool. Please make a signature so we don't get confused.

$350 budget for H20 is pushing it but can be done. You'll either need lots of radiator @ low FPI @ low rpm fans or less radiator @ high FPI @ high RPM fans. Do you want your rig silent or loud? Going silent will be more.

I could pick out the parts for you for example but I believe it will be above $350. That also includes all your fittings being barbs only.
I've been trying to figure out where to make a signature, but I couldn't really figure it out lol. Silent is nice, but I really just wanted to cool down my GPU initially lol. I've been thinking XSPC kits were valuable considering the price and their above average(from what I've heard) quality. If XSPC is meh, then I'll go with the parts you suggested.

GTXJackBauer

Sweds were OCing this GTX 590 around the release time frame. I had left comments calling them irresponsible because we all knew as it was announced, they didn't take OCing lightly. Well they went ahead with pre-mature drivers and OC'd the hell out of it. They might have changed the wording on what they were doing there but I remember this like it was yesterday. Than they disabled the comments section because they were being bashed. (Commies)

OP
E

Eugenius88

Sweds were OCing this GTX 590 around the release time frame. I had left comments calling them irresponsible because we all knew as it was announced, they didn't take OCing lightly. Well they went ahead with pre-mature drivers and OC'd the hell out of it. They might have changed the wording on what they were doing there but I remember this like it was yesterday. Than they disabled the comments section because they were being bashed. (Commies)

God, that's pretty crazy, I'll have mine at stock... Also how well would you recommend an XSPC kit? I understand the buying experience is invigorating, however, with school, I don't really have time for that much. Your parts or an XSPC kit?

Conumdrum

XSPC is decent. Buying a custom pump/rad/fans/fittings/hose will last longer, mainly you don't need to upgrade when the WC bug hits you hard. Many junk the XSPC res/pumps down the road so buying the good stuff first is better.

Many do buy XSPC kits and are happy. They work, XSPC makes good rads, blocks are okay, the pump/res is the worst part, still acceptable and can last for years. Later many just want better stuff. Warranty service is good and we don't hear a lot of problems with them. They are pretty good.

You want a 120x2 mm fan at A MINImum for that GPU.

Read the stickies for a while, read lotsa posts and you decide. Let us know what kit you like. We'll help you work it out. The more info and knowledge you have, the better.

I also almost bought a TT or Koolance starter kit. Luckily I found Google-Fu and a few forums. Then a few MONTHS later I made my first parts list. No rush.

OP
E

Eugenius88

So I just purchased my 900D, now I'll be able to remove parts in my Aurora R3, I'll probably decide to sell the case on Ebay for someone and I basically just keep the I/O board in there since it won't really work with my 900D. If anyone has owned an Aurora in the past, would there be anything else besides that to stick in the case for reselling? Also, there's somewhat of a strip of motherboard on top of the interior of the case, with fan inputs, somewhat like a detached motherboard(Refer to image) but after observation, there are 4 screws(4th not pictured) and I believe a 12-pin connector from the PSU.

Attachments

• IMG_20130910_212458_117.jpg
    IMG_20130910_212458_117.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 55