• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Liquid cooling loops - please help :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Massacah

Registered
Hey guy,

I've been thinking of water cooling for my new gaming build, and I have read most the beginner guides located on the forums. What I can't find an answer to is, do I need a dual loop or is a single loop fine?

Speccs:

Corsair Obsidian 800D
i7 920 *going to overclock to 4.0ghz.
ATI 5970 *Might go corssfirex in the future.
Dominator 6GB *3 sticks of RAM x2G/each
Corsair HX1000 PSU

I want to liquid cool my CPU, north birdge and GPU. South bridge if needed too. Don't think mobo liquid cooling is needed since that's what most people state, so I'll pass on that.

If I can pull this off in a single loop, how many rads/revs/pumps do I need?

Thanks in advance

Cheers,
Mass :attn:

Single should be fine , Dual loops are really nice as well .

You can pull it off but not much more like any real huge OC .

So should I dual loop? And what parts do you guys suggest? Pretty confused lol. :confused:

Cheers,
Mass

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

If you're serious about going sli in the near future, I'd go with dual loops. Maybe put the cpu and mobo in one loop and set it up first. Keep the gpu on air until you pair it, and then build a separate loop for them at that point. As for parts, there are tons of quality parts to choose from, so that question is pretty vague. Pretty much comes down to budget, noise preferences, availability, etc. Since you've read the stickies and beginners guides, you should already have a decent idea of what you need. Create a parts list and I'm sure the gurus here will be happy to advise you.

EDIT: By the way... I'm not sure why, but I find your avatar to be particularly disturbing... :)

Last edited:
A single loop will be fine, because I say dont waste your time watercooling the cards. The GPU block is almost as much as the whole loop will cost and it will be obsolete by your next upgrade.

Id run an MCR320, MCP 355 with the EK reservoir top to save some space, and then I like the EK Supreme HF or Apogee XT block. Dont do the bridges.

If you really want to do the cards as well, then your gonna need a dual loop it. On the obsidan you can put the radiator up top and then if you ever do a second loop you can mount it way at the bottom as long as its a double radaitor like the MCR220. 2 MCR320 will not fit.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll go dual loop for now. Loop#1 for CPU and Loop#2 for NB/GPU. Probably just add the second GPU to the loop when I get it :>. I'll post a list of parts, and see what you guys think!

As for my Avatar. It's only a buffed Einstein Aphellyon :thup:!

Cheers,
Mass

before you go spending big bucks on a video card water block, keep in mind I have about 4 blocks that cost over $100 each that are nothing more than pretty paperweights now.

The cards they fit are obsolete and nobody would want to buy them now.

Well I compiled a list of some parts, let me know what you guys think! :)

* Rad#1: MCR320 QP Tripple Rad [For CPU]
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/swmcqupo3xbl.html

* Rad#2: MCR220 QP Double rad [For GPU/NB]
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/swmcqupo2x.html

* Reservoir: XSPC Acrylic Dual 5.25in. Reservoir
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/dubayreforla.html

* Pumps: Swiftech MCP355™ 12v Water Pump x2 [Not too sure about this choice/advice needed]
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5...er_Pump_Native_38_120_GPH.html?tl=g30c107s154

* Rad Fans: Scythe 120x25mm SlipStream x5
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/sc12slsy110c.html

* Fan Controller: Not too worries here, anything that looks good would do fine I guess, lol.

* Tubing: Active UV Feser tubing BLUE
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8...Anti-Kink_Tubing_-_UV_Blue.html?tl=g30c99s171

*Fittings/Clamps: This is where I'm confused. Should I just go with excellent 3/8s?

*CPU Block: Watercool HEATKILLER® CPU Rev3.0 1366
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/heatkiller1366.html

*GPU Block: EK Radeon HD 5970 VGA Liquid Cooling Block - Acetal (EK-FC5970-Acetal) [Any other brands that are better/cheaper?]

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1..._Acetal_EK-FC5970-Acetal.html?tl=g30c309s1072

So what do you guys think?

Cheer!
Mass

before you go spending big bucks on a video card water block, keep in mind I have about 4 blocks that cost over $100 each that are nothing more than pretty paperweights now.

The cards they fit are obsolete and nobody would want to buy them now.

You do bring up a good point. My list isn't final though, I'm still making choices :). I'll keep that in mind though. Thanks!

Cheers,
Mass

I am very new to WC myself! But I have read many posts/threads that suggest having a separate rad just for the CPU. Triple rads were suggested for the i7s, since they run pretty hot. Correct me if I'm wrong please, lol. I still have alot to learn! :)

Cheers,
Mass

I am very new to WC myself! But I have read many posts/threads that suggest having a separate rad just for the CPU. Triple rads were suggested for the i7s, since they run pretty hot. Correct me if I'm wrong please, lol. I still have alot to learn! :)

Cheers,
Mass

Not trying to correct you, I don't know what I am doing, I was just asking. I have been reading this forum for a while and I am going to WC my build in the next few weeks. I got the CPU block and pump picked out, but wasn't sure about the radiator.

I know nothing about WC, I am reading this to learn, but do you need a triple rad for just the CPU? That's a lot of cooling for just 4GHz isn't it?

It depends... a good double with the right fans might be enough... might have to go with 4 fans going push/pull though. However, a trip rad should definitely be enough... and they really don't cost that much more than a double. Of course, real-estate could be a factor too if you don't want to mount externally.

Edit:
Cheers,
Mass

Heh, I'm a novice myself... I was where you are now about 9 months ago. I started ordering my parts last year and am just now getting ready for my first water build. Reckon I likes to take me time. :)

Last edited:
Do you think the other parts in my list are good choices Grosjambon?

Cheers,
Mass

It depends... a good double with the right fans might be enough... might have to go with 4 fans going push/pull though. However, a trip rad should definitely be enough... and they really don't cost that much more than a double. Of course, real-estate could be a factor too if you don't want to mount externally.

Edit:

Heh, I'm a novice myself... I was where you are now about 9 months ago. I started ordering my parts last year and am just now getting ready for my first water build. Reckon I likes to take me time. :)

And it took me 3 months learning before I bought my first WC part. The PC was working fine, I got interested and just hung out on forums and read a lot and learned. been golden and leak free for over two years and on my third build.

I use a double radiator to cool my i5 @4GHZ. I have two fans that run slow enough to be silent yet it keeps my chip pretty cool.

I used to have an opteron 165 @ 2.7ghz, two highly overclocked nvidia video cards in SLI, and the northbridge cooled by the same WC system with no problem.

edit: I was just looking at your list and noticed you had two radiators and two water pumps. This is your first time WCing, correct? My advice - keep it simple. 1 loop and only cool your CPU for now. Later you can add the other stuff.

If you want to learn how to build a car, don't start off trying to build a ferrari.

i5 are not i7 ... i7 are total furnace that can COOK EGGS!

Okay as for fittings I see that your tubing is
3/8" ID (inner diameter)
1/2" OD Outer Diameter
Just find clamps that say 3/8 ID - 1/2 OD and you will be fine

For Cpu Block XT - Supreme Hf have 1-3degree better than HT 3.0 but this copper finish LOOK NICE! :)

Last edited:
Back