• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

List of to-do's when setting up NF7-S

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

durst

Can someone help give a quick list of what the first few things are that need to be setup on a NF7-S?

This is a brand new system. All the different bios versions are overwhelming to me right now, so that is one thing I need help with to start off with. I also just want to know about any settings I should start off with right out of the box. Here is some of my new gear.

NF7-S Version 2.0
Mobile XP 2600
2X512 Buffalo PC-3200 (mT -5B C)
Sapphire Radeon 9800PRO
VGA Silencer
Stock 420 PSU

Also, for my own info, I read that many mobile users use their stock HSF for a while at first. Mine didn't come with one at all. Should it? Now I have to buy one sooner than I planned.

the mobile chips are all OEM. so you do need to get a HSF (obviously). which one can be a tough choice as there are lots out there and everyone will swear by a different one. i actually just set up the EXACT same system as you two days ago (well, except for the RAM, but my 2x512 buffalo 3200 w/micron chips will be here today...woohoo!). choosing a HSF really depends on what you want to do with your system. if you want to overclock hardcore you need really good cooling. if you are like me, and would be happy with 200-215 fsb, you dont need to spend $50+ on a HSF...especially since these chips run at lower voltages.

i bought a Vantec Aeroflow 2 HSF for $25 from svc.com. i am currently running only at 133fsb (in sync with my pc2100 memory...still waiting on that buffalo) but my cpu temp is only 43*C at max load (after priming for 8 hrs).

as for bioses...i would stick with the official bios that came with your board for now. it is not bad by any means, and will serve your purposes while you get everything set up. you can always change your bios later if you are overclocking and find the official one to be unsatisfactory. that will give you more time to figure out what you need to look for in a bios and more time to research them anyway.

i would recommend taking off your northbridge fan before you install anything though. clean off the heatsink and the northbridge and add some arctic silver (very very thin layer remember). then put the fan back on (duh).

when you first boot up, you will have to manually set your cpu speed as the chip will be unrecognized. the default speed for the mobile 2600+ is 133fsb and 15 multiplier. i recommend setting it at this while you get everything installed.

i think those are pretty much the most important things to do at first. any other questions just ask. im by no means a vet but there are lots of helpful people here who will lend a hand :)

One more thing for you to consider is replacing that PSU with a name brand PSU (antec, fortron or PCP&C) rated at least 400W if you plan on doing some heavy overclocking down the road.

Thanks for all the help guys.

I am going to order a SP-97 tonight. Until it arrives, I'm going to use a TT Silent Boost that I got at Fry's. Then I'll return it when I get the bad boy. Is the SP-97 overkill for a mobile? I'm not going for competition speeds or anything, just don't want to turn around and buy another one later cause I'm not happy.

As for the PSU. Yea, I plan on replacing it sometime soon.

On a side note, RedScare I've been following the other thread that we both posted on about the buffalo ram. I bought mine the same day you did from the same place.
Just got it today.

Last edited:
yeah and it looks like we both got screwed huh :\
What, you didn't get the Micron or mT -5 chips? That would suck. Something that Sentential mentioned to me. If you want to get a high fsb with mT, you need Tictac's D10 BIOS, one of them anyway, there are like 20 versions. And you'll also need voltage, like 2.9-3.2V to get them up to 240 fsb.

I'd have to agree about the NB fan. I took mine off and replaced it with a NB-1 from Thermalright. When it looked at the fan, Abit had put almost no thermal paste on there, think the size of a pea. People have posted that when that fans dies out, the NB crisps from getting so hot. That is at a high overclock though, so dont worry about it too much.

The SP-97 will give you some awesome temps on that mobile. If you think it's overkill, I have an Aeroflow on my rig. I'll trade if you pay for shipping ;) Good luck man.

Well, we got the Micron mT -5 chips but they are the G version and the site we got it from advertised the C version which is the good stuff that Sentential talked about.

We are still undecided on this new version.

Thanks for the tips on the SP-97. As for the Northbridge, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get the NB-1

enduro said:
What, you didn't get the Micron or mT -5 chips?

we got mT -5 chips but Revision G not C. never heard of G as they are new and dont know how they perform. i will probably try them this weekend and if they suck, ill send them back for a refund. if not, ill be happy and keep them :)

I'd figure that a Micron chip would perform very well. Revision C or G. That's a good company period. They rival Corsair in the quality of their products. Good luck with the overclock. Do a search for D10 BIOS' and check them out. Read Sen's 35W Review thread for more info. on the mT chip. It's a long thread, but a good read.

enduro said:
So that means you'll trade ;) : arabian accent: I've got a very very nice heatsink just for you my friend. very good quality. lifetime warranty even.

I haven't bought the SP-97 yet. Why would I trade when the SP-97 costs twice as much anyway? (even without a fan) If I wanted the Aeroflow I would just buy it for $25

durst said:
I haven't bought the SP-97 yet. Why would I trade when the SP-97 costs twice as much anyway? (even without a fan) If I wanted the Aeroflow I would just buy it for $25

Hope so. Geeesh.

So anyway, what are the drawbacks youv'e experienced with your aeroflow? Just out of curiosity.

i have an aeroflow as well...gotta say it probably doesnt cool as well as the sp 97 would. im at 1.65 vcore and my idle temps are around 40°C with load temps at 49°C. but im in a hot room to start with (85°F). but if i were to bump it up to 1.8v or so to get to 2.5-2.6GHz stable, the load temp would be well into the 50s.

but for me its enough cause im happy at 2.4GHz and its lighter and quiet. but for better cooling it might be worth it to spend the money on the thermalright.

"i would recommend taking off your northbridge fan before you install anything though. clean off the heatsink and the northbridge and add some arctic silver (very very thin layer remember). then put the fan back on (duh)."

Excellent idea and I always replace the compound, however, read item 2 & 3, Northbridge concave so "very very thin layer" won't cut it.
It's an Epox but I found compound on most boards had the same lousy compound application using a glob in the middle to fill in the concave surface of the chip.
http://www.motherboardfaqs.com/content.php?content.25

Saw the concave thing discussed many times in many forums, cooling mods, lapping, aftermarket coolers, etc. etc. etc. Having removed eight NBridge passive & aggressive coolers on various boards, I found a pitiful job of applying the compound on six, Soltek & one ABIT only ones that even came close to doing it right.

I remove whatever goop they used and replace with AS and do a normal application then, *to fill in the concaved middle,* apply a tiny glob maybe one-sixth the size of a grain of small, dry rice right in the middle hoping it will spread out and fill in the cave. To test my theory I used the above method, remounted the HS using the clips, then unclipped it and carefully pulled the HS straight up and found AS had made total contact HS to chip as it should be.

The chips edges are higher so if you use a normal thin layer of whatever compound you'll end up with maybe 25% HS to chip contact and my *tiny glob in the middle* application method appeared to provide total contact.

Appparently the person at the factory who applies the compound does it right or wrong because one ABIT did it right and other BLAH. Can't remember which board, but pink square pad was right in the middle and only covered 'prolly 50 to 60% of the chip. Yup, first thing, every new board you get, take the HS off and replace the compound.

New NF7-S V2 and all I did in BIOS was set my 2500 to clock 3200 and it took off. Glad to report the compound on this one applied with some degree of caring and expertise, but I replaced it with AS anyway. Huney.

Last edited:
So anyway, what are the drawbacks youv'e experienced with your aeroflow? Just out of curiosity.
The only two drawbacks would be, one that it doesn't cool as well as the SP-97, but when you pay 20 bucks........ and two, it tends to vibrate at a harmonic frequency with your case, so more often that not, if your doors are a little loose, you'll have this very loud vibration coming off of your case. Very loud. Doesn't do it to me, but it did do it to my brother.

Back