• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lite-On 52x24x52

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Loyalty

I currently have a Plextor 40x12x40 and was thinking of picking this up. Is this a reliable drive at high speeds? I see it still has the 2mb buffer unlike the 4mb Plextor.

Lite-on's are just fine, but plextors are better in a lot of things, making that 40x almost as fast as the 52x. (max write speed is not everything.) The only difference you'll notice is in cdrw disks, and that is if you can FIND anything over 16X in them.

My only question is WHY?

You will cut 15 seconds off the time it takes to burn a CD, if that. Plus, while Lite-on makes good drives, plextor is better, so you will be downgrading in that respect. I say stick with your plextor.

WyrmMaster said:
My only question is WHY?

You will cut 15 seconds off the time it takes to burn a CD, if that. Plus, while Lite-on makes good drives, plextor is better, so you will be downgrading in that respect. I say stick with your plextor.

I'll be happy to second that. The upgrades in speed nowadays is pretty insignificant compared to awhile back. Going from 40x to 52x won't save you much time at all, but will deplete your bank account.

Back in the day, going from 4x to 10x was a savings of over 20minutes. That was worth the bucks.

I'd keep the Plextor which is a better quality drive.

Mike

i concur with everyone else. the lite-on maxes out at 52x but doesnt burn at that speed for the entire disc. burn times would not improve significantly. plextor makes a quality product.

Loyalty said:
Exactly what would the Plextor do better?

It figures out where to write the track faster, is better at finding the track if it has to stop for a moment, and writes on an almost continuous curve, starting at 40X max and slowing down for different portions of the CD. Lite-on slows down in steps, kind of like stairs, and therefore does not write at the maximum it is capable of at all points on the CD. In the end, it is not unlikely that the plextor, with its slower MAXIMUM writing speed will have a faster AVERAGE writing speed across the entire disk.
Don't get me wrong... that lite-on is a fine, fast drive. But plextor is the best there is, and if I had that drive, there would be a reasonable chance that I would never upgrade it.

The truth is, that if some one does not own the knowledge of the How-To in burning Cd's , all the recorders for him looks alike .

Unfortunately there are only few that they really take full advantage of their hardware ..

Personally i am still learning the tricks of my new Plextor , even if i had recorder for 2,5 years , the Philip's 4x4x16 it did not know what tricks are .. :)

I am still using a 12x10x32 TDK (TDK=Plextor with a different faceplate). It takes 6.5 min to burn a CD, and thats fast enough for me. Maybe someday when i have nothing else to spend my money on il get a 48x burner or something, but i really dont see much of a reason for one. I dont burn enough CDs for it to make any real difference in my life.

Are the 5 series Lite-on's ok? I want speed, but I don't necessarily have to have the fastest. Most importantly for me is to have reliability. Are liteons error prone?

bterry13 said:
Are the 5 series Lite-on's ok? I want speed, but I don't necessarily have to have the fastest. Most importantly for me is to have reliability. Are liteons error prone?

Come on man , no one can tell ..
The Lite-On is very fresh products in the market ..

Ask again at 2004 ..

From the older brands , Plextor and Yamaha they have show reliable products .

I will continue to use my Plextor then. I still wonder about whether its average speed is really that superior just because I have seen tests before that showed the Plextor to be slower, but I guess I will rely on experience rather than one person's test. Thanks everyone.

dunn if it'll burn reliably on that high speed...i still prefer the 16x (kill me for that :D) with the money, i'd rather save for the dvd-rw

Back