• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Little feedback on potential new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sydo

So I am currently using the rig in my sig with my trusty 4790k and I know I don't need a to upgrade but bare with me, and play along :)

I am playing with the thought about the following new hardware:

ASUS ROG STRIX X99 GAMING S-2011-v3 ATX

Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 x4 modules

Corsair Hydro Series H115i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Samsung 960 Evo 500GB M.2 PCI Express 3.0 x4 (NVMe)

"""Intel Core i7 5930K / 3.5 GHz Processor S-2011-v3""""

It's the new processor I am in doubt about, if that would be the best to go with or if there is anything else you recommend instead? Perhaps Core I7 6850K 3.6GHz?

How far can the 5930k overclock if you get an average silicon lottery? The 4790k goes between 46 and 48 without hassle so of cause that is a good chip.

And the 5930k is a haswell-e, should you go for broadwell-e? And what is the difference? Also the "-E" ??

Last edited:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I'd get less expensive ram... Dom plats are solid, but expensive. Id grab gskill trident z 3200mhz cl14.

'Best'? Best at what? You won't improve gaming on this machine...

5930K would reach 4.3-4.5 or so.

I'd get broadwell-e based instead of haswell-e.

Last edited:
OP
S

Sydo

Yeah that's what I feared (the gaming performance) had no real hopes of that really, was just to try and get future proof with the DDR4 and new sockets though, maybe just wait and geta 1080ti instead once that releases? :)

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
You aren't future proofing anything, really. There won't be more chips on x99/s2011-3. Now, if you wait for Kaby lake, there may be another couple there. Ddr4 isn't ready much faster performamce wise so nothing there ejther.I wouldn't touch a thing.

As far as 1080ti... I'd upgrade if you are at 4k. Otherwise, grab a 1080.

OP
S

Sydo

Thanks for the advice EarthDog wise as ever :)

Yeah DDR4 is really only useful for heavy rendering and stuff like that right?

Either way you have saved me a good chunk of money, hat's off to you sir :)

- - - Updated - - -

Though would have been nice with a mobo with a build-in M.2 slot, oh well :p

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
It doesn't have one? Huh...

We, get another z97 board with one. I recall several having them. Or get a pcie riser card for one until you get a system where its native.

OP
S

Sydo

Yeah it only have a wireless combo with a m.2 2260 slot you hook up to the mobo, but would prefer 2280 as I don't see the speeds on 2260 to be worth it.
I mean, there is a HUGE difference on 2260 cards and 2280's

22-combo-card-board-fullsize-m2.jpg

Theocnoob

Why do you need this upgrade? You seem to be a gamer. You won't see any games improvement between your current system and this new system, assuming both machines have identical video cards. Why don't you just wait for 1080Ti to come out, slap it in your Haswell machine, and be happy? Spend the money on better monitors, a nicer desk, better speakers, great headphones... things that will actually improve your experience.

OP
S

Sydo

Why do you need this upgrade? You seem to be a gamer. You won't see any games improvement between your current system and this new system, assuming both machines have identical video cards. Why don't you just wait for 1080Ti to come out, slap it in your Haswell machine, and be happy? Spend the money on better monitors, a nicer desk, better speakers, great headphones... things that will actually improve your experience.

All valid points my good sir :) That is also the conclusion I came too, with the help of EarthDog.

Though I might try an find a z97 mobo with a native m.2 slot to run a 2280 and get 32gigs of ram (yes I know it's not needed but... but)

Nah scratch the idea of a new mobo, there don't seem to be any worth "upgrading" too, from the one that I have which has a m.2 native. So that will be for the future.

Last edited: