• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Little green thing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skinart

Hey all , you know that lil green thing in the middle of the socket i think its a thermister or somthing? Well is it bad if i coverd that in silicone? I had to insulate , and well it kinda got coverd in silicone, would this make temps seem higher then what they actually are? my water temp is -5c and i am getting reading of 32c on the cpu @ 100% load, 1.9v 183x10.5 did i stuff it up? lol

:eek:

Stedeman

The Half Asleep Member
I dont think its hurt you can trim around it too lift it up and should be able to peal off the silicon from the thermister and just back fill the hole then add some therm grease to the tip of it and let it tuch the back of the cpu (gives better readings that way)

OP
S

skinart

does anyone know if there is anything that breaks silicone down to make it easier to remove?

john240sx

nothing will break it down that won't harm anything else. i would use a razor blade and work slowly, it should come off pretty easy.

also, like Stedeman said, put some thermal grease on the thermister so it will make better contact with the CPU. the temp reading will be more accurate that way.