• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Little help on home network please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WuChild

Hey... I'm having some problems getting the computers on my home network to see each other. Can you guys give me a direction to go?

Here is how it's set up...

PC, Laptop
/
Hub
/
Cable Modem - Hub
\
PC, Xbox, PS2 etc, sometimes Laptop

No router in the setup currently

They all can access the Internet, but I can't see any of the other computers on the home network, I have them in the same workgroup etc....

Please give me some clues here :) Using the setup wizard in XP has not been helpful.

All machines have XP.

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
i was just curious if they could ping each other. you can get a machine's ip address by doing this:
start > run > type in "cmd"
then at the command prompt, type in "ipconfig" and it will tell you the ip address. then go to another machine and try to ping it in the command prompt with "ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"

i am pretty sure you'll be able to ping them though since you can connect using the internet. have you tried to network a drive to one of the computers? i personally never use the little network viewer. i just set them up, give them all static ip addresses of 192.168.0.x and use that to map a network drive. i prefer static ip addresses over dynamic because then you can remember them for each machine and you can keep your ip addresses straight...

by the way, how are you sharing the internet? is it just thru the hub or what? hopefully we can get your network straightened out for ya.

OP
W

WuChild

I am getting request timed out on the ping :(

I tried setting an IP address but then I cannot access the Internet, I have cable Inet connection.

I have a hub coming off my router that feeds an xbox, ps2, a PC and another hub, that second hub feeds my main desktop and my laptop.

I would love to be able to just map a network drive, but I need to have a dynamic IP for my ISP.

Would a router solve this?

N

nerdlogic

You'd need a router to assign internal IPs. Hubs don't work on IP addresses. Internal IPs are different from the IP addresses you get from your ISP. The router just recieves the information from your ISP and "routes" the information to your computers via internal IP addresses. However, you should still be able to see all the other computers just using HUBs.

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
myself, i would just go for a router. it doesn't have to be expensive by any means. i would then use the router to hook up all of your computers. it will keep your lan secure from others on the wan (the internet), share your internet connection, and assign all of your computers local ip addresses (usually in the 192.168.0.x where x is a number 2-255 when 1 is assigned to the router) so you can access all of the computers.

most routers will set ip addresses automatically, but you can also give them static ip addresses. as nerdlogic said, the ip addresses we are talking about are two different types. there are lan ip addresses and wan ip addresses. the wan ip addresses the the dynamic ip that you get from your isp while the lan ip addresses are designated to allow computers on a network to communicate thru tcp/ip.

sorry that i don't know much about hubs, but i feel that a router could make your situation much easier just simply because it would eliminate all of your hassle. to me, it sounds like all of your computers are getting ip addresses from your isp and they will definitely not like that since they usually pay per ip address but i can't be for certain

AC Slater

Yeah like they said, either manually give each device an ip or get a router(or a linux box) running DHCP to assign the ip's for you.

Mark620

I did this with windows95osr1 using winproxy and static IP's 2 network cards, firewall etc.....
this was before cable/dsl routers existed...

What you need to do is:

1.Hook your cable modem to one machine you need 2 network cards in this machine.
2.hook 2nd network card in machine to hub.
3.configure XP to bridge the connections.
4.this server will have to be on to use the internet

Now you should be able to get XP to make it all work properly, and not upset your service provider or pay for multiple connections. My (EX)cable company wanted full price for each one while my DSL company wants $1.00 for each additional one.

To see the other computers on your network you will have to set the permissions in XP on each machine.

Edit: to make post more clear.

Last edited: