• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

little problem with overclocking 8600gt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

evanAZO

Registered
hey i have an 8600gt on my new laptop and have been overclocking it just fine. but as of today (im using rivatuner) it keeps defaulting itself back to the factory standards. i put in the changes and click ok and it just freaking resets itself!! any ideas on how to fix this?

dell xps1530 2.4 duo
4gigs ram

umm ok .. it just kind of fixed itself.... wierd. i was reading the beginners overclocking thread and it looks like it was just the thermal throttling thingy. well thanks anyways :)

That's a notebook and it's not the same as desktop overclocking at all. Be VERY careful! If it is throttling then that means it's getting too hot, the safety is necessarily going to save it. I've seen many notebooks fry because of overclocking attempts including one of my own.

Watch your temperatures for your graphics card by using a programme like RivaTuner. It is alot better for overclocking the gpu too. Also, if you haven't already I suggest to fix the fan speed for the GPU between 60%-100%

Welcome to the forum!

It is not a very good idea to overclock your CPU/GPU in a laptop, most laptops barely stay within safe operating temperature ranges at stock speeds.

With a desktop it is easy to upgrade the cooling etc but there is no way to do this with a laptop.

Back