• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Live streaming troubleshooting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
We are live streaming to Facebook, currently using a late model HP laptop with OBS Studio. We have an external mixer and microphones as well. One of my collaborators thinks that the Spectrum service at the venue we're using is causing our video + audio quality to be...poor. I ran a speed test- the results:

10513477975.png

I think we just need better capture equipment, as the upload speed looks to be adequate for 720 or 1080. What is the most likely scenario here, connect speed or needing better equipment?

Any suggestions for testing / experimenting?

Railgun

"Poor" from whose perspective? Who's on the other side of it? Where? What are their network conditions?

The_Jizzler

Is the laptop struggling when doing the broadcast? Cpu or disk spikes, maxing ram? If not then I would say its not the hardware. Just because you ace a speedtest to some random server doesn't mean there isn't a network issue along the path to your streaming server causing this. You could try to run a tracert or pathping command from the venue to the streaming servers and see if there's any drops or latency along the route.