• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Load temp increase from 41 to 44 and FOP32-1 gained 300rpm? What gives?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bartman

Registered
Hey guys, my TB900 used to max out at 41^C and the fan ran from 4200-4300rpm.

Now, I can get it to go to 43-44^C, but the ViaHW moniter now reports the fan RPM as 4500-4600rpm. [max i've seen 4647rpm]

What are your guy's FOP32-1 fans turning in ViaHW?

Don't worry about the temps being high, I have the supplies to Lap the HS this weekend (really bad job putting it on, 1/2 good still there) and a Panaflo 80mm HO to replace the 60mm fop fan. I also have 2 Sunon 92mm 51cfm case fans ready to be installed. After that, I'm taking my "quite" Sunon (28cfm) and making an 80mm blowhole... hopefully with these mods, I will get the chip down to about 38^C under load.. I definatly want to be under 40^C before overclocking.

That happen to my FOP once, the increase in temps, I mean. Those heatsinks are heavy and the thermal paste got squeezed out from me moving the case around several times when I was doing tweaks. I reapplied Arctic Silver and CAREFULLY reinstalled the cooler. All was well again. As for RPM changes, I notice that all my fans vary a little in RPM from time to time.

This may be stupid, but check that you haven't got any cables or anything else that falls in the way of the fan on your HS. Sometimes it is tough to tell when you are closing your case but I have found that something impeding the airflow of the fan can increase the RPM's as there is less resistance therefore increasing your temps.

YahooDave (Apr 13, 2001 11:50 a.m.):
This may be stupid, but check that you haven't got any cables or anything else that falls in the way of the fan on your HS. Sometimes it is tough to tell when you are closing your case but I have found that something impeding the airflow of the fan can increase the RPM's as there is less resistance therefore increasing your temps.

I had already checked, as I thought something like that might be going on... Nothing in the way, she's all clear. Guess the fan just needed to be broken in a bit?

batboy (Apr 13, 2001 05:49 a.m.):
That happen to my FOP once, the increase in temps, I mean. Those heatsinks are heavy and the thermal paste got squeezed out from me moving the case around several times when I was doing tweaks. I reapplied Arctic Silver and CAREFULLY reinstalled the cooler. All was well again. As for RPM changes, I notice that all my fans vary a little in RPM from time to time.

I am thinking that this might be the reason... The way my desk is setup, it is about 8" away from the wall behind the CPU, and I have to push it back and let the wires etc hang over the back edge so I have enough room for my mousepad in front of the box. (also the moniter is against the wall, so I have room for the keyboard).

Anyways, sometimes when I'm pushing it back, the rear feet fall off the back edge of the desk, which in effect drops the whole case about 1/16 inch, which is a wee bit of a jolt.

I also noticed that when I was feeling the HSF to see if it was hot, I could turn it a little bit left and right... this suprised me because of how stiff it was when I was putting it on.. I had thought there was no way it would move.

I will be lapping and re-applying AS2 this weekend, so hopefully that will help.

Back