• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Logitech Z-680 *drool*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xevuhtess7

im currently an owner of a set of z560's, but once i saw a picture of the z680's..... im already getting thoughts of selling my set (got them only two months ago). i have a question though, on newegg they're selling for 380, and the z560's are about 135. when the z560's first came out were they that expensive and then the price dropped (i wasn't involved in computers a little bit ago)? im hoping that the 680's price will drop :).

plague

Hmmm, the stats on newegg dont match up with the logitech site... according to logitech, the satellites are the 53W, with a 185W sub, same as the 560s. I don't see how a center channel and a remote (and fancier control pod) could cost almost $250 more... I guess with the dolby decoding.

they do look really sweet though:drool:

mook

Registered
Simple in regards to the price. It's called royalties.

As SOON as you slap "Dolby" on anything, price goes up =) You're basically buying a stereo of sorts with that processing built in. :)

Too bad noone can patent the term "overclock". Wonder how much money there is to be made there....:eek:

Kato

Addicted Tweaker
Yeah, that set got Dobly Digital decoder build in, and has optical input. But really, for that price...you can buy a home theatre system.

Big_KiD

Klipsch promedia 5.1.. looked at those at all.. if u wanna talk high end puter speakers take a look.. 2 8's with 500 watts... forget about it..

beezee

Xevuhtess7, if you decide to get the new z680s then i call dibs on your z560s!!! if you're going to be selling that is.... wuahahaha!!! :D

WyrmMaster

I'm a little teapot Senior
yah, should go down, prices always do. I wouldnt bet on them going down very fast though. I dont think the klipsh 5.1 set has dropped more than about 50 bucks in the last year or two.

Azzkiller

mook said:
Simple in regards to the price. It's called royalties.

As SOON as you slap "Dolby" on anything, price goes up =) You're basically buying a stereo of sorts with that processing built in. :)

Too bad noone can patent the term "overclock". Wonder how much money there is to be made there....:eek:

Actually, the reason that dolby digital speaker systems are more expensive is because of the associated hardware needed to decode the digital signal.

I am sure that you are right about the royalties and everything, but their actually is a legitimate reason they cost more.

Now, as for THX, there is something that just adds cost to the product! ;)

mook

Registered
Let's see...20 bucks worth of parts for dolby digital decoding.

Add x percent for the Dolby Trademark.

Add x percent for parts markup to manufacturers.

Add x percent for markup for Logitech.

Add x percent for markup to <insert retailer here>

Legitimate....hahahahaha. We're just lucky that there are huge companies like Sony to keep that Dolby trademark price down, otherwise digital receivers would still be baseline 500 to 1000 bucks.

As for DTS and THX, it may add cost to a product, but it is justified (6.1 and 7.1 sound).

Just wait till 10.2 becomes the industry standard :D

Azzkiller

mook said:
Let's see...20 bucks worth of parts for dolby digital decoding.

Add x percent for the Dolby Trademark.

Add x percent for parts markup to manufacturers.

Add x percent for markup for Logitech.

Add x percent for markup to <insert retailer here>

Legitimate....hahahahaha. We're just lucky that there are huge companies like Sony to keep that Dolby trademark price down, otherwise digital receivers would still be baseline 500 to 1000 bucks.

As for DTS and THX, it may add cost to a product, but it is justified (6.1 and 7.1 sound).

Just wait till 10.2 becomes the industry standard :D

Yeah, but you can get dolby digital recievers for less than 200 dollars. I am sure at that kind of price, not much can be payed off to dolby labs to allow decoding of their signal.

I was not aware a reciever had to be Thx certified to play 6.1 or 7.1 sound?

Dear god, I think 4.1 is enough speakers, IMHO the cc isnt even needed. I wonder why the industry wants to keep needing more and more speakers for peoples audio systems? ;)

mook

Registered
6.1 is DTS, 7.1 doesn't HAVE to be THX, but I haven't seen one yet that hasn't met THX specification. Of course, with THX Ultra, Ultra 2, and select, you probably could meet one of the 3 rather easily.

10.2....hehe, I actually had the pleasure of hearing a 10.2 setup last year. Complete test system, but basic theory was that they combined a 6.1 and a 7.1 system together. What you end up with is this:

5 front speakers (2 left, staggered at varied heights, 1 center, 2 rights, staggered) + 1 subwoofer in the front.

2 side speakers (Typical 7.1 setup, usually where the listener sits)

3 rear speakers (Left rear, Center rear *6.1 setup* and Right rear) + 1 subwoofer in the back.

I tell ya what. You could walk around this room, and you could NOT find a dead spot anywhere. About as close to live music as you can get. Sound was just incredible to say the least.