• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LOL T-bred has no pits!!! ?!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

]-[itman

That would be sweet if they did stop the pits! I guess we'll just have to wait until they actually come out to be certain though. Man i hope this is true, that would be awesome!

Yodums

Still catching up from the boat jumping from Intel to AMD. What are "pits" exactly? I'm guessing their relating to the bridges some what.

nihili

Inactive Doc Logic Philosophical Mod
Remember, until we actually see them in stores you're just seeing engineering samples. The engineering samples may be unlocked and pitless but the retail may be locked and pit(i)ful.

I don't know either way, but I wouldn't get my hopes up too much.

nihili

Mr B

Senior Admin Emeritus
Max Payneguin said:

The t-breds should work in your 8kha+. Don't get too discouraged.

*smiles happily and looks down at the box just received from FedEx....8KHA+ waiting to be installed*

Thanks! :p

Christoph

JAPH Senior
I can smell my XP cooking already! (Not really! My 8KHA+ and I will just be a little less dissappointed if my XP dies.)

BTW Yodums, to unlock some AMD CPUs, you need to connect the L1 bridges. The pits (and they're very much the pits) are little laser-cut slits between the L1 bridge connectors that make unlocking *much* less fun.

Gravity Man

The one in the pic also has nothing printed on the core, and no pads on the corners, so my guess is that it will either:

a) be changed to include a stepping code, pads on the corners,
and unfortunately, pits

or

b) it will have a metal "cap" on it to protect the core, much like a PIV or a K-6, in which case, all you would need to do is remove the "cap" to get to the L1 bridges.

Another thing, is that I think I read somewhere that the new organic package was another reason why the pencil trick doesn't work-- something about the material being slightly conductive.

bobt17

hmmmm i wonder if that no pits means factory unlocked because that would just be great :D:D but if the pencil trick worked again that would be good too lol

Christoph

JAPH Senior
Now that you mention it, Gravity Man, I remember seeing some pics of capped AMD CPUs. They might have been hammers, though.

Dagon

I agree with nihili, those pics are most often of early engineering samples, don't get your hopes up..

Sadly,AMD seems to be gradually going to locked mulitpliers.

The capped CPU's were the hammers...
Sigh...yet another center of worry!

Haddy

Registered
AXIA said:
Am I seeing things or is this the real thing. I've heard many rumors about Tbreds not having pits but this picture tells all!!
isnt that the fake pic thats been going around forever.....that die looks aweful big for .13

Gravity Man

Don't worry about uncapping processors, if that's what it comes down to. I did it in a matter of minutes to my K6-2 using a razor blade. Another benefit of uncapping a CPU could be lower temps, since caps are generally made of aluminum and the only thermal interface I saw in my K6-2 was al relatively thick dab of the same silicone(?) adhesive that was used to affix the cap at its corners. Of course CPUs are capped for a reason, and that reason has traditionally been fragile cores. That problem, too can be overcome by the use of a shim. Getting the shim to stay in place is another matter entirely, however since you lack the pads in the corners. So if T-Breds do ship with caps, you will have to uncap them, unlock them, and superglue a shim onto them. Big deal, uncapping is easy, if there is a cap, there shouldn't be too much of a problem with pits, so unlocking will be easier, and it can't be that hard to superglue a shim onto your processor. All of this seems a lot easier to me than unlocking an XP, and it should reduce the number of people who try to undo the changes they made and RMA the chip. Lets hope they cap the T-Bred, and eliminate the pits.

nihili

Gravity Man said:
Don't worry about uncapping processors, if that's what it comes down to. I did it in a matter of minutes to my K6-2 using a razor blade. Another benefit of uncapping a CPU could be lower temps, since caps are generally made of aluminum and the only thermal interface I saw in my K6-2 was al relatively thick dab of the same silicone(?) adhesive that was used to affix the cap at its corners. Of course CPUs are capped for a reason, and that reason has traditionally been fragile cores. That problem, too can be overcome by the use of a shim. Getting the shim to stay in place is another matter entirely, however since you lack the pads in the corners. So if T-Breds do ship with caps, you will have to uncap them, unlock them, and superglue a shim onto them. Big deal, uncapping is easy, if there is a cap, there shouldn't be too much of a problem with pits, so unlocking will be easier, and it can't be that hard to superglue a shim onto your processor. All of this seems a lot easier to me than unlocking an XP, and it should reduce the number of people who try to undo the changes they made and RMA the chip. Lets hope they cap the T-Bred, and eliminate the pits.

As for the shims, you can bet that someone will start selling pads. In fact I think I remember seeing some somewhere already to replace ones that had fallen off.

I don't think you're right about the lack of pits though. I doubt that AMD created the pits simply to foil overclockers. Rather, I suspect the pits are a by-product of the way in which the traces are cut. The laser probably has more of an effect on the organic substrate than it did on the ceramic.

nihili

Kendle666

Hmmm............think of it this way .................the Organic package will burn as in fire ..................ceramic package just breaks into weee little parts...................so when ya hit a laser accross the bridges what happens to the organic substrait.............hmm smell something burning?................PITS

Alex99

nihili said:
Remember, until we actually see them in stores you're just seeing engineering samples. The engineering samples may be unlocked and pitless but the retail may be locked and pit(i)ful.

I don't know either way, but I wouldn't get my hopes up too much.

nihili
Do you have to be the bearer of bad news? :) I think you're right. Engineers samples are usually unlocked. Shucks..

AudiMan

If AMD knows what is good for them they will let the multipliers be unlocked.
Reasons they should do it:
1 - It will void the warranty = More money.
2 - More of us will buy them = More money.
3 - More of us will fry them = More money.
It's all about the $$

:D

nihili

AudiMan said:
If AMD knows what is good for them they will let the multipliers be unlocked.
Reasons they should do it:
1 - It will void the warranty = More money.
2 - More of us will buy them = More money.
3 - More of us will fry them = More money.
It's all about the $$

:D

Given that AMD that neither AMD nor Intel have been convinced by these arguments before, I suspect they won't be convinced by them now.

nihili