• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Long CAT5 cable recomendation?????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

petreza

Hi,

I have to run a CAT5 cable from the ethernet switch on my desk to a computer in the other room. The total cable lenght will be around 75-80 feet. For about half that lenght (40 feet) the cable will run along other cables such as Cable-TV-coaxial, telephone and power extension cables. That is why I would prefet a cable that has the best shilding. I need a recomendation of the best cable for the job. Also, if you can recomend an online reseller that has that cable for a good price I will greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!

PS I read that there are cables called CAT6. Would they b any better than CAT5 in this case? Thanks!

Kingslayer

If 80 feet is all your running, then just get some normal plenum rated CAT5 and wire it to spec. You're only using 80 of its rated 300 feet. You don't even need plenum rated wire, but that is all that I run.

roYal

he's talking about emi. Electro magnetic interference. You can always go for stp (shielded twisted pair) instead of utp (unshielded twisted pair).

Crash893

"The man in black fled across the desert,
kingslayer is right its rate to 100 meters something like 320 feet

and emi shouldnt be a problem unless your running it next to a florecent light or along a power cord or something like that

Crash893

i would just go to homedepot and have them cut you off about 100 feet and run it it will cost like 9 bucks

you will need to terminate it your self witch is really easy

Crash893

or you can get the femail ones and just buy a 1foot patch cable

thats what i do becuase i dont want to buy the crimpers and do all the wires ( gets on my nerves)

Caffinehog

Übercaffinated Member
Kingslayer said:
IF you do that remember.

White Orange
Orange
White Green
Blue
White Blue
Green
White Brown
Brown

Does this really matter as long as you have the wires in the same order at the other end and the white and it's corresponding color are next to each other?

Kinerry

can affect your signal attenuation, and in some networks they use the "A" configuration, that is the "B" configuration

btw list the color then white, makes it MUCH easier to distinguish between colors (ex orange-white instead of white-orange)

JasonKosi

don't split the pairs!!!

Caffinehog said:

Does this really matter as long as you have the wires in the same order at the other end and the white and it's corresponding color are next to each other?

Yes and no...

Ethernet uses pairs of wires to cancel crosstalk (signal jumping from one wire to the next). One wire of a pair has a positive and the a negative charge. Usually +/- 2V, I think, but I digress. Anyway, Ethernet also only uses wires 1,2,3 and 6 (4, 5, 7, and 8 are reserved for telco). Wires 1 and 2 have to be of the same pair and wires 3 and 6 have to be of the same pair.

According to the EIA/TIA 568A and B standards, these are the orange and green pairs but for home use, it really doesn't matter which colors, as long as you don't split the pairs.

In a crossover cable, you simply swap wire 1 for wire 3 and wire 2 for wire 6.