• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Long Term Overclock Reduces CPU Speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

weldeng

I have been running a 2.4C1 (SL6RZ) at 3.2 GHz (Prime 95 stable) with default voltage on CPU and Memmory for about three months. Yesterday I turn the machine on and it greets me with "CPU speed error". I reset to all factory defaults and it works fine. Gradually I start bringing up the speed and it now tops out at 3Ghz (not tested for Prime 95 stabilty). I have heard of machines burning in and being stable at higher speeds but never this. Does anyone have any ideas what could have happened?

Thanks!

krag

Classifieds Moderator
First of WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

Well bro...looks like you may be a victim of electromigration. E.M. is the errosion of the little on/off gates in the silicone of your chip. The theory is that either high voltage or high frequencies (or both)are to blame for wearing down your little silicone buddies. :( You said it was at default voltage? Well...give some more juice and see what happens. Can't hurt...its already showing sighns of death. Don't feel to bad most of us have lost a chip here or there. It comes with the addiction...you play you pay!:D

baraka

weldeng said:
I have been running a 2.4C1 (SL6RZ) at 3.2 GHz (Prime 95 stable) with default voltage on CPU and Memmory for about three months. Yesterday I turn the machine on and it greets me with "CPU speed error". I reset to all factory defaults and it works fine. Gradually I start bringing up the speed and it now tops out at 3Ghz (not tested for Prime 95 stabilty). I have heard of machines burning in and being stable at higher speeds but never this. Does anyone have any ideas what could have happened?
What kind of temperatures do you get when not idle? It wouldn't surprise me if you see performance degradation over time if your cpu is always running hot.

batboy

Senior Moment
Maybe your thermal paste cooked down to powder. Try reapplying it and maybe check load temps before and after.

OP
W

weldeng

Thanks for the welcome and help!

I tried higher voltage and that did not help. Still stuck at 3 Ghz. I have not measured CPU temp but the results are the same even when the machine is stone cold. It will not post or boot into windows at much over 3GHz.

If the problem is this "electromigration" can I expect the CPU to fail altogether or continue to degrade to slower stable overclock speeds?

Could the memory (Kingston Hyper X PC3000) or motherboard (ABIT BD7 raid) be degrading to cause the problem?

micamica1217

weldeng said:
Thanks for the welcome and help!

Could the memory (Kingston Hyper X PC3000) or motherboard (ABIT BD7 raid) be degrading to cause the problem?

yes

this is what I was thinking....

look at your mobo's capasitors, are they fat, leaking or deformed in some way?

you may not notice anything wrong with the mobo, and it could still be the mobo.

I don't think it is the memory, unless you realy overvolted alot.

what were your load temps with this cpu???
heat could have killed your cpu.

mica

asw7576

weldeng said:

Thanks!

You may call it: the party is over.... :p that is happening to me too P4 2.4B SL6RZ @ 3006 MHz @ default voltage. It only last two weeks..... now only 2916 MHz

micamica1217

Re: Re: Long Term Overclock Reduces CPU Speed

asw7576 said:

You may call it: the party is over.... :p that is happening to me too P4 2.4B SL6RZ @ 3006 MHz @ default voltage. It only last two weeks..... now only 2916 MHz

we need info...

what mobo, cooling, powersuply, temps.......

mica

OP
W

weldeng

I am running 1.525V on CPU, 2.5V on memory. Stable at 3.0 Ghz (166 MHz FSB and memory speed) using Abit BD7 Raid MB. Default voltage on CPU and memory used to be Prime 95 stable at 3.2 GHz. Power supply is 350W Enermax. I do not have means to measure CPU temp. I am using a Vantec AeroFlow Heatsink. I do not see any damage to the capaciters on the motherboard.

Z_oc

I had an MSI 845 Ultra ARU that stopped OCing my 1.6A to 2.1 GHz.

However CPU was OK as I was running it with a P4B266 at 2.1 again.

So the mobos might start failing too.

micamica1217

weldeng said:
I am running 1.525V on CPU, 2.5V on memory. Stable at 3.0 Ghz (166 MHz FSB and memory speed) using Abit BD7 Raid MB. Default voltage on CPU and memory used to be Prime 95 stable at 3.2 GHz. Power supply is 350W Enermax. I do not have means to measure CPU temp. I am using a Vantec AeroFlow Heatsink. I do not see any damage to the capaciters on the motherboard.

thanks weldeng, yet I was talking to asw7576...

did you say 350w enermax????

this could be the cause...but you shouldn't have been stable from the start. yet maybe your rails are poor now....

tell us, what is your 3.3, 5 and 12v rails look like?

mica

OP
W

weldeng

Mica

What application do most people use under XP for monitoring voltage and temp?

CPU-z telling me that CPU at 1.520V and IO voltage is 3.424V when running at 3.0 Ghz

Caffinehog

Übercaffinated Member
Sudden northwood death syndrome. It's well documented in overvolted cpus, and I suspected it would appear in non-overvolted but overclocked cpu's soon. Considering this, I suspect it will start to happen with default speed cpu's in about a year, which could be a real PR nightmare for Intel.

OP
W

weldeng

Very good point. I made the mistake of thinking that if I ran the CPU at stock voltage it ought to last just as long as a normal P4. I got three months at 3.2Ghz. I think Intel could be in for problems if they release the P4 Northwood at 3.2Ghz or higher.