• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Look what I bought to tinker with

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spleener

This was a gamble buy but what the hell. If all else fails I can rip out the radiator and the LCD. Cant beat the price, and after talking to a tech at ThermalTekUSA it sounds like its easy to fix the "Dryer Failure". The thing is less than 18 months old.. It retails for 2000 and I got it for less than 50.. EBAY ROCKS!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1715877172&ssPageName=ADME:B:BN:US:1

Dryer Failure basically means the dehumidifier is out.. I can work around that per the tech. Seems GE unloaded a ton of these and they are appearing on ebay about 1/month. This one is 1 month outside of warranty. (ouch) that had to hurt.

Bender

Mysteriously Changing Senior
In Thelemac's Basement Eating the Chickens
Sounds like a fun project. How big is the thing exactly? I might want to play around with something like that if I can pick one up cheep. Once I saw a 4300 watt peltier chiller but I have no idea how much those cost. I'll start checking ebay.

Starfoxer

World's Biggest E-Thug
wow, that looks awesome spleener. it is a water chiller, right?
welcome to the forums bro :p

OP
S

Spleener

Thanks! Good to be here.. Yes it is a water chiller.

To be honest I dont know how big it is. It LOOKs like its about 2.5X1.5X1.5 feet I base that simply by looking at it compared to its handles.

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
Bender said:
Sounds like a fun project. How big is the thing exactly? I might want to play around with something like that if I can pick one up cheep. Once I saw a 4300 watt peltier chiller but I have no idea how much those cost. I'll start checking ebay.

someone pointed one of them out to me too, are they called peltier chiller or do they have a diff name?

i want one of those!!

OP
S

Spleener

I dont have details unfortuneately. The guy selling it was clueless.. Evidently, it works the same way an aquarium water chiller does.. Takes in water, cools it, and spits it back out. It has a 300GPH (.5GPM) pump that does work. The water temp can be dialed into the LCD.. This model was made specifically for GE and for some reason they have a tendancy to have their dehumidifier break.. The tech at ThermoTekUSA isnt really sure why they dont repair them but he has noticed a lot of them going on ebay.. he actually wondered if "Someone made a midnight warehouse run"

:eek:

I really dont think thats the case.. I think for some reason ebay just surplused them out. Keep your eyes open for them.

Of course if I cant do crap with this one except salvage a radiator and LCD and some heatsinks then ill let everyone know. Evidently there are some good heatsinks inside, a radiator and a ok LCD that ALMOST justify the 60 dollar total price tag (including shipping)

OP
S

Spleener

UPDATE!!

Well, sometimes there is such thing as a free lunch. I got the chiller tonight and I poured in some water and sure enough I got the "Dryer Failure" message in the LED and I was not able to do anything else.

I opened up the case and this is what I saw.

103-0313_IMG.JPG

This is the entire view.. The copper heatsink on the left is the air dehunidifier for the EXTERNAL dehumidifier.. Its something you might use int he lab.. this is what the "Dryer" is.

Very nice I thought, at least if it doesnt work, I get an LCD, 3 great fans, and two killer radiators.. Thats worth it alone. I noticed one PCB has "dehumidifier" on it and connects up to the two clear tubes that are sucking and blowing air.. Hmmm I wonder.. I disconnect the PCB from the main PCB and fire up the chiller..

(This is the small molex like adapter I randomly disconnected to seperate the "Dryer" from the Chiller.. This one connection turned the thing into a fully working chiller.)

103-0318_IMG.JPG

IT WORKS! I can set temp, temp gradient, and the pump is spinning like a mad dog.

Since it only pumps at .5GPM, Im going to use it to cool the water in the system, but let the main pump do the circulating. Ill have to do some trial runs to see if I can get rid of my radiator. More as I delve more into my 2000 dollar lab chiller I got for 36 bucks on ebay.

BTW, evidently according to the manufacturer, there have been MANY of these sold on ebay in the last few months.. I suspect this isnt the last, and I would say they are worth at least 300 bucks.. (2000 brand new) Keep an eye out and you could get one for under 40. People just dont realize how easy it is to fix a "Dryer Failure"
KEEP THE FAITH!

PS Ill post more as I start really testing the cooling capability.

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
so what kind of temps are you getting with that thing? and how well does it work?

Pepsi

THIEF AND A TROLL -Silversinksam
I SAW THAT !!!! So your the lucky guy that got it.....I was too slow.
Good luck as a almost potential buyer for that item I am really interested how it works out for you.
Stay Cool
Pepsi

OP
S

Spleener

Its about 2.5 feet by 1 foot high by 2 deep.. Ill post some more pics tomorrow.. with references.

I have no idea how it cools yet. I have to adapt to the inlet and outlet hoses.. Looks easy to do.. just gotta cut away the old adapters and put on some new.. .

Next step will be to see how long it takes to cool down certain volumes of water. If it can cool down 1/2 gallon in less than a minute or 2.. I think Ill scrape my heater core. If it takes longer I may need to just run it in series and let is slowly get the water cool.

My thought was hook it in up in series with the tubing.. place a T in and then T out. OR maybe just have the in and out going into the resevoir

If anyone has better suggestions would love to have them. I figure im gonna try to cool everything with it.. NB, GPU and CPU..I guess it all depends on what the thing can cool.

Pepsi thanks man.. I was really freaked when I saw I won it.. (note I say "won")

OP
S

Spleener

Ok things are working.. Im using the chiller as a pump/radiator.. So, no pump.. My flow rates are much slower.. ~30GPH.. Thats pretty low, but the manifold temp can go as low as 1C SO.. it doesnt matter that the GPH is so low because the capacitance isnt being maxed on the water.

Temps
Ambient 21 Case 23 Idle 24 Full Load 26

Manifold temps in the chller are 8 degrees with a 60 degree gradient

If someone knows what the "Temp Gradient" is and how it can help me please let me know.. Right now I have it set to 60C.. It can go to 0C. My manifold temp can go as low as 1C. I didnt go that low because I didnt know if condensation would occur.. I dont think it will.. I bet I wont be able to get below 20C.. But we will see

Oh yes.. my specs are XP1900 @ 170X10.5, 1.85V

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
dude! that is awesome!!!! i now wish i had one of those things!
take a pic of ;your hole setup with that thing next to your computer to give us an idea on the size, i cant really see in my head how big it would be...

OP
S

Spleener

We'll do! Im at work till 6 pm today but Ill try to post something up tonight.. And Ill try to make the pics smaller.

I recommend the hell out of a chiller.. Scour ebay and keep your eyes open for them.. The Salt water aquarium chillers work great but are EXPENSIVE. The Fish people keep demand up so dont expect to find one under 250 bucks.. However, you may find a Lab chiller (and it seems fish people dont like these) for very cheap.. if you see a Thermotek chiller with a dryer failure or a broken dehumidifier grab it.. The fix is easy. (er its more of a work around but it wont cause any problems.. of course except for not being able to dehumidify an external setup.

I guess I need to reedit my sig now..