• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Look what I did the other night

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cyber mouse45

Cyber Cheesiest Senior
Wow, looks great! Can you give us some more details?

Me wishes I had that setup. :D

OP
ColdMiser

ColdMiser

PerfectCore, I WISH that was in my house. I built it for a client.

Sandman, no, that's not an old steel shelf. That's 3 standard aluminum towers called "racks" side by side. They are used in the server world.

The client is a bank that just built a brand new building and had to move everything from the old building to the new one in one night. As soon as they closed for business on Wednesday afternoon, I took down their servers and disassembled everything. I move it all to the new building a few miles away and had to put it all together. The old setup was just 2 racks. There are 5 servers plus UPS's, switches, routers, etc. It was a total wreck. I snagged a 3rd rack from another office and made it all look beautimous at the new location. I was there till 3:30 AM getting all of the systems working in harmony again. I had to have it done because they needed to open for business again Thursday morning with no interruptions in service.

I slept for a few hours and went back Thursday to do more work. So far, this is the coolest rack setup I have built, so I thought I'd share. Any other questions?

Oh, yeah. The KVM switch is awesome. It can support 8 machines through 2 consoles. You can stack up to 8 of the KVM's. So you can control 64 machines through 2 consoles! I just had to set it up with two consoles because it was possible.

X2sandman

I see now, i should have noted that the title of the pic was "3racks" and also the rack mounted systems. My excuse.... it was 2:14 am

Talon101

good job :) i would like one for my house, but i dont think standing the whole time would last too long since im a gamer and all

OP
ColdMiser

ColdMiser

The towers are much less expensive than rackmount servers. Banks are very cheap. And you always want to get those towers up off the floor for various reasons. They are sitting on shelves on those racks.

Talon, the standing gets to be a drag real fast. But you only spend much time in front if it when you are first installing everyhitng. After that it is SUPPOSED to work right and you shouldn't have to spend much time in front of it. You also don't want to make it comfortable in front of those consoles. You don't want to encourage anyone to be there too long.