• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking at a gaming laptop, AMD or Intel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

i6pwr

Similar thread by @detroitpc313, but this is more hardware specific.

It's been awhile since I bought a laptop, my current non-gaming laptop is my 10YO Toshiba Satellite so time for an upgrade.

I've looked at the HP Omen and the MSI, but curious about the ASUS Tuf a15 with the Ryzen 7.

This won't be used as a hardcore gaming laptop, but looking to future proof for a while and be capapble for adequate gaming on occasion.

So it's coming down to AMD vs Intel, and the 1660 Ti vs the 2060/2080, mainly for native resolution gaming. If I use an external monitor, would likely only be 1920x1080.

I saw these this weekend, looking to stay under $1200 if possible but may need to stretch the budget.

https://www.microcenter.com/product...15-53-7426-156-gaming-laptop-computer---black

https://www.microcenter.com/product...-a15-tuf506iu-ms76-156-laptop-computer---gray

I would like to have the 2060 or 2080 in the ASUS Tuf, but not sure if that's even possible to fit in the chassis.

All input amd criticism welcome.

I know this thread is a bit old but I wanted to share anyway. I actually picked TUF A15 with Ryzen 4800H and GTX1660Ti some weeks ago. There are some reasons why I decided on the GTX1660Ti:
- The average difference in games is about 5-7% so it's a lower difference than between desktop GPUs (I actually compared results in multiple reviews)
- No matter if you pick GTX1660Ti or RTX2060 then more demanding games at higher details won't run at high enough FPS anyway while less demanding will keep 90-110FPS at 1080p on both GPUs
- I don't think anyone will run ray tracing on a laptop to sacrifice the performance at the cost of slightly better graphics
- GTX1660Ti version costs ~$200 less, considering that the laptop cost me ~$1k(+tax) then it's a quite big difference
- GTX1660Ti uses significantly less power and heats up less = CPU and GPU don't drop their clocks so often when everything heats up
- GTX1660Ti uses less space so can install additional SSD or pick a model with a larger battery (that's as long as you need 2.5" SATA bay or the model with the largest battery available)

It better be a 10th gen, otherwise you risk being left in the dark by the laptop manufacturer, (for EOL'ing the model) for refusing to fix a critical CSME vulnerability, which is why the laptop I had not long ago, with a Core i7 9750H, was shown the door and permanently banned from my property.

Back