• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking at a new laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ScrewySqrl

Hi again everyone, Its been 5 years since I was last here (wow!)

I'm looking at updating my laptop, which just struggles lately even in light gaming. (its a 3-year old Dell with an AMD A10-7300 quad in it, but the gpu struggles even with old games)
I was looking at the Kaby-lake I7-quad + 1050 w/ 1920x1080 15.6" laptops.

I'm thinking of going with the Sager/Clevo model from XOTIC PC:
http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np5855-clevo-n855hj.html

Customizing it to remove the drives, and windows OS, cutting the price down to and buy my own 480-500 GB M2 SSD to start with, adding a HDD later

with an quad i7 and a 1050, It should do at least medium settings for a while.

How is Sager on GPU driver updates though? I know I've had other PCs with mobile gpus that stopped updating drivers after less than a year.

Pinky

How is Sager on GPU driver updates though? I know I've had other PCs with mobile gpus that stopped updating drivers after less than a year.

Check nvidia's site and see if they currently offer a download for that mobile graphics card. If they do, then as long as nvidia keeps offering updates you'll have them.

I kinda doubt Sager would be deploying their own custom drivers. They may compile things into downloads for customer convenience, but they're not a large company. Developing and supporting custom drivers isn't particuarly 'easy'.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
Considering the 1000 series chips are actually desktop versions just in a mobile platform (maybe slightly slower speed) should be able to get updates from nVidia. I know my Professional Quadro M2000M I can get the drivers right from nVidia which is based of the 900 series chips, 960 to be exact.

myndlessdayz

I've been looking into getting myself a laptop myself (went with a clevo p650hs-g @ Hidevolution/sager equivalent are the 8155, 8156 or 8157). I haven't owned a laptop since early 2000s and this is my venture back to owning a mobile system. Check over at NotebookReview as they seem to be the most active Clevo/Sager forum for info on these laptops that I've seen so far.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior

Actually curious why you picked these 3 out of the crowd? Surprised you didn't mention MSI.

Edit Oops cut off my thought there :)

Last edited: