• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

(Looking) Best deal on 512gb MicroSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Remove

As the title says, please post any and all deals on a 512gb MicroSD card.

Current on Amazon is $492!:eek: :shock:

knoober

http://www.amazon.com/512GB-Micro-A...455642338&sr=8-3&keywords=512GB+micro+sd+card

Just in case you get any illusions, I have been burned (not by this company but different ones) on 64GB cards at a low low price. I realize that the "too good to be true" tagline might keep most people away, but I just thought I would let you -and everyone - know. I have taken these "too good o be true" deals and been burned x3. Good luck with your search

OP
Remove

Remove

Thanks for the warning and sorry to hear about the burns. Those generic chinese items have all been crap in my experiences. I'm still sitting on several boxes of no name led bulbs that last about a month each......

knoober

+1 for Atmin's comment. However even if the specs don't list compatability, it may work. The problem most often presents itself with the super capacity cards, but a good rule of thumb is that if you can support the previous highest capacity then you have a better chance. So if your device lists a 256gb as compatible you have a chance with the 512gb. As long as you understand that it might not work, then you can make a better decision. For the money though you might be better off with 2x 256gb

Also, let us know how it goes. :)

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
It's easy to tell if an SD or microSD card will work, you just look at the standard the card and device support.

For example, a lot of older devices don't support SDXC.

knoober

It's easy to tell if an SD or microSD card will work, you just look at the standard the card and device support.

For example, a lot of older devices don't support SDXC.

Cool. Ive never read anything so specific on the subject. Most of what I have seen is "If it works it works, and dont be surprised if it doesnt"

I had thought the firmware has something to do with it. Ive seen support for larger cards be added with rom updates on smartphones. As a matter of fact one of my devices added support for 64gb cards a while ago. I didnt pay attention to the card and device standards though. All I can say for sure is that I moved a 64gb card into a device that would not previously support it after changing the rom

ATMINSIDE

Cool. Ive never read anything so specific on the subject. Most of what I have seen is "If it works it works, and dont be surprised if it doesnt"

I had thought the firmware has something to do with it. Ive seen support for larger cards be added with rom updates on smartphones. As a matter of fact one of my devices added support for 64gb cards a while ago. I didnt pay attention to the card and device standards though. All I can say for sure is that I moved a 64gb card into a device that would not previously support it after changing the rom

Here's some info on the different capacity and physical size standards:
https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/
https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/capacity/index.html

Basically, we can look at Remove's devices and have a quick answer if they do/don't support SDXC.
If it does support, you still want to check if there is a maximum size restriction though.

OP
Remove

Remove

Dell Venue 10 7000 specs call for Micro-SD Card Reader (SD, SDHC, SDXC, supporting up to 512GB)

knoober

Dell Venue 10 7000 specs call for Micro-SD Card Reader (SD, SDHC, SDXC, supporting up to 512GB)

Dont skewer me if I missed something here buuuut....

I took a look at the specs (quickly) and didnt see anything about a card reader, but I assume if I dig I will see it. I think that if you need a card reader then you will have compatability - as long as the reader is compatible. So you're good and just need a card you can afford -- but you already knew that :)

So in answer to your original question: I havent run across anything any cheaper than what you have found, but will let you know if I do. Watch for sales on flash memory. it goes in waves, so if you wait long enough you might catch a decent sale. Black friday is a good time- if far away. I have also seen EXCELLENT open box deals on memory sticks. It may not be in the same league as what you are looking for, but as an example, I got a 16gb USB 3.0 stick for under $5 shipped. It was a good price at the time :)

OP
Remove

Remove

I already knew it was supported. Taken from the specs page:

Ports, Slots & Chassis
Micro-SD Card Reader (SD, SDHC, SDXC, supporting up to 512GB)
1 x Micro-B USB2.0
1 x Headphone and microphone combo jack

The point of my post was that since I don't look at the tech stuff daily like I did a decade ago, I was accessing the resource of all the great members here that do stay up to date and if they saw a great deal relatively soon, I would pick up a couple for the 2 new tablets and the SO's camera before we head back to Kauai again in June.

ATMINSIDE

Yeah, best pricing I've seen so far is that $492.

Glad you did your research about support before looking though :thup: