• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a good UPS to power an audio recording setup.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vishera

We have an old shed we aren't using and I need a place to record some music stuff with my guitar without bothering everyone else in the house so I'm putting the equipment in the shed. BUT there's no power in there. So I'm looking for a decent UPS that'll only be used a few times a week that I can keep in the shed.

So I take it you are going to run power there like an extension cord and want to filter it through a UPS? How many watts are you going to be pulling through it? Not sure a typical UPS is going to help? I mean, if you are only using it a few times a week, are you going to be recording in a thunderstorm????

I think I am missing something here... ?

I was under the impression a UPS has batteries inside it, which could be charged and it could be used without being directly plugged in, thus the term 'uninterruptable'. Did I get something wrong there? The whole point of me looking into this was because I have no way to run power out of the house, without leaving a door or window cracked and letting the air conditioning out. Plus it'd take my roommates just one time to not be paying attention while I'm recording and run any extension cord over with a lawn mower.

The most time you'll get with a UPS is about an hour, even then you'll be dropping serious coin.

The point of a UPS isn't to be used as a standalone battery.

I was under the impression a UPS has batteries inside it, which could be charged and it could be used without being directly plugged in, thus the term 'uninterruptable'. Did I get something wrong there? The whole point of me looking into this was because I have no way to run power out of the house, without leaving a door or window cracked and letting the air conditioning out. Plus it'd take my roommates just one time to not be paying attention while I'm recording and run any extension cord over with a lawn mower.
That isnt really how they work. Well, it is in that they go a charge, but it's not meant for portable power like that.

The intent is to give you enough time to properly shut down equipment. Typically several minutes. If you are getting something that will run significant loads for an hour, it's not going to be something you can get in the store for $150...

You could roll up the cord after you are done...you did mention only a few times per week.

Ah. Well, I was under the wrong impression then. My bad, thanks for giving me the right info guys!

Get a preamp for your guitar and then you can directly connect it to your sound card (onboard is fine unless you have a really, really nice guitar) so you can record without making too much noise. Use headphones if you need the audio feedback.

Get a preamp for your guitar and then you can directly connect it to your sound card (onboard is fine unless you have a really, really nice guitar) so you can record without making too much noise. Use headphones if you need the audio feedback.

Great idea here. If you have the game Rocksmith the USB cable which comes with it is suitable for this use as well.

Back