• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a gritty new FPS to push my new GPU to the limit (2013-present)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

storm-chaser

Disabled
-I've completed the battlefield series. Incredible graphics, but the contrast seems a little off; BF3 and BF4 were too dark, that's the only issue I can raise.
-I've played the COD series (MW1, 2 and 3) as well as Black Ops II and advanced warfare. High marks for these games, especially MW2 and MW3.
-I've run through the Crysis series. Liked these games, excellent graphics but the single player campaign almost seems lonely without a squad to assist.
-I've run through FEAR and Half Life 2, Max Payne 1 and 3, & Prototype, all good games in their own right. However, I prefer to stick with first person shooters if at all possible.
-Lately, I've been getting into the Wolfenstein collection. Just completed The New Order and presently working on The Old Blood. I like the idea behind Wolfenstein but the AI just isn't there and sometimes it feels more like puzzle solving than first person shooting.

Looking for something new to press the limit on my new GPU, an MSI RX580 (Gaming X 8GB - 1380Mhz Boost Clock) paired with an AMD Phenom II X6 (Thuban) CPU running at 3.5Ghz with a CPU-NB speed of 3000Mhz. 8GB DDR3 system memory @ 1600Mhz CL7 1T command rate.

My favorite style of play is probably MW3 combined with the graphics of something like BF4 or Advanced Warfare. That would make for an epic solution. Looking for something a bit more recent to really load up my system. I want to push it to the absolute limit. Obviously, I'm limited by my instruction set on the CPU but otherwise I'd say welcome to any suggestions.

All that being said, can anyone recommend a game that would suite my system specs as well as my preference for action, adventure and fast paced shooting?

So your into traditional shooter ups, I can back you up on that.

Metro Series was great and you can shoot er up if you want, or go stealth. Graphics are really up there too.

DOOM amazing fast paced Beefy top notch Single Player Campaign, lots of shooting, some searching for key cards for doors, but mostly lots of shooting and a few Epic Bosses, good graphics.

RAGE Not so much on the graphics end by today's standards and I didn't see it through, so it's lower on my list, but from what I played it still fits the mold mostly

BORDERLANDS 2 OMG if you haven't played this one, just do it. Graphics aren't gonna press your system so it doesn't check that box but it is a GREAT game and pretty in it's own way. Download Splitscreen tool ( nucleus coop I think now ) and you can play up to 4 player Coop on ONE PC ! And what's more you don't need to do split screen, you can run two HDMI's to 2 TV's, or 3, or 4. Splits the game any which way you want up to 4 players. I completed the game this way with a friend so I can confirm 100% it works.

How do you feel about super casual Multiplayer.
Killing Floor 2 is up to 6 player COOP shootem up. The more you kill the more money you get and between waves you run to the Pod and buy Weapons/Kevlar/Grenades/Swords/Bombs/Bazooka's etc. Really good game and sweet Graphics with PhysX whoops your on AMD card. Dunno how that works but still a great game.

Tomb Raider games are far less shootem up, but the Graphics box is a definite Check.

Dying light. Good Graphics for sure but not a true GPU killer, Really fun Zombie apocalypse ( sort of ) game with two reasonably long Campaigns that can be played Coop LAN or Online. Not so much on the Shooting part in the beginning but eventually you'll be using mostly guns.

Wolfenstein: Youngblood -> will be released in a couple months supposedly

CoD: Infinite Warfare

CoD: Black Ops 3 + DLC + Zombies -> ~160gb of content

Titanfall 2 -> very good if you like giant robots but campaign is small

Mechwarrior 5 -> sometime around September

+1 for Titanfall 2, game is great and the story is pretty solid (especially for a modern FPS game).

Far Cry 3/4/5 all look pretty good (especially for their time)

There's a big steam sale that just started as well if you want to look through the genres there for what's on sale/well rated/etc.

oh i didnt know there was going to be a new mechwarrior...

any way, any recent wolfenstein game can be pretty taxing, Borderlands 3 is coming out soon and that should be as well. I saw some one mentioned doom already.

crysis?

Crysis is more taxing on my rig than any of the new Wolfenstein, the beauty of OpenGL/Vulkan programming [emoji28]

Crysis is more taxing on my rig than any of the new Wolfenstein, the beauty of OpenGL/Vulkan programming [emoji28]

Oddly I find that games like Crysis 3 and Metro Last Light don't scale well into 1440p though they are still a site to behold @ 1080p. I can't quite put my finger on why but they look slightly awkward on 1440p. I think the first clue is the comparatively small install sizes. I think the resources weren't meant to be sampled @ 1440p but I could easily be wrong.

Oddly I find that games like Crysis 3 and Metro Last Light don't scale well into 1440p though they are still a site to behold @ 1080p. I can't quite put my finger on why but they look slightly awkward on 1440p. I think the first clue is the comparatively small install sizes. I think the resources weren't meant to be sampled @ 1440p but I could easily be wrong.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have just started playing the Crysis series. Right now I'm working on both Crysis 3 and Crysis Warhead. These games seem to play well with the RX 580. Not sure in FPS but its decent. Also installed the new Doom game (2016) and I'm working on the need for speed series.

What I find is that I'm pushing the Biostar A880GZ a little too hard with these newer games. I had to rig up a 120mm fan directly over the memory and VRM area as the motherboard was just cooking itself when under full load. So that has helped a bit with stability.

Back