• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a new 19" CRT...suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Smoke

Registered
So basically I'm looking to buy a new 19" CRT. Primary focus is on gaming. Price isn't a concern as I'm willing to spend 300$ (note these are canadian prices). Which of these 3 do you think I'd be most happy with? Thanks guys.

LG 900B Studioworks 19" 1600x1200 IVORY
Category : CRT Monitors

Price : $219.00

Part number: MT-LG-900B

NEW! Generous 19 inch screen with outstanding visual display.

Technical Specifications
Screen Size: 19" (18" Viewable)
Dot Pitch: 0.26 (0.22mm horz)
Max Resolution: 1600x1200 @75Hz
Casing Colour: Beige

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Samsung 997DF+S 19" CRT Monitor Silver

Category: CRT Monitors
Price: $289.00

Part number: MT-SAM-997DF+S

The Samsung SyncMaster 997df is a 19-inch CRT monitor offering 0.20mm horizontal dot pitch, 30-96 kHz horizontal ...more

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Viewsonic G90f 19in .25mm moritor BEIGE

Category: CRT Monitors
Price: $289.00

Part number: MT-VIE-G90F

The ViewSonic G90f 19 inch (18.0 inch viewable) CRT monitors deliver excellent screen images for maximum screen ...more

I own a couple of really nice 19" CRT's. Among them are the Viewsonic P95F+B and the Mitsubishi Diamondpro 930SB. Both are fantastic monitors that I wouldn't trade for anything.

I am lucky to be able to sit and compare both side by side.... most people agonize over which of these two to choose. Although the differences between the two may be subtle, they are there and noticable under some circumstances.

The P95F+B has more color saturation and this definately makes a difference when gaming. The colors are very vibrant and the monitor can go very bright - which is excellent when your in a dimly lit room trying to find an opponent.... just push the brightness button and you'll be able to see everything.

That being said, the 930SB is no slouch. While the colors on this monitor may not be as saturated and vibrant, they tend to be more realistic. For this reason, I do my photo editing on the 930SB... I find the colors more natural. Again, the difference is not night and day.... but it is noticable. I should mention that the 930SB also has a "superbright" button w/ three brightness settings. It works excellent and I use it all the time when gaming.

Both monitors are nice and crisp at 1280x1024. At 1600x1200 the 930SB is sharper but not by much. You can only notice it when reading text in the corners (like the start menu for example). When gaming or watching a movie, you would never be able to tell the difference (in sharpness).

As for price.... the P95F+B retails for around $360CAD (I think). The 930SB has been discontinued but I think you can still purchase them in a few stores in Canada.... but they are expensive.... abotu $100 bucks more than the P95F+B.

The best thing to do is search the classifieds on various computer forums, and search ebay for a used one. I got both of mine used. The viewsonic one I purchased was a brand new warranty return and it cost me 125CAD + 60CAD for shipping.... so $185CAD (from ebay).... It's in mint condition and it has 2 years of warranty left.

I also got the 930SB from Ebay (what a horror story.... be careful on ebay. See my thread in the vendor section about what happened to me). It cost me about $250CAD shipped and it was supposed to be a couple weeks old. Turns out the seller lied to me and it was really 2 years old (verified by NEC / Mitsubishi). It was packed very poorly and was damaged during shipping. Nevertheless, it functions flawlessly and still has a year of warranty left.

So.... if you can find a used P95F+ or 930SB, you would be set. Both are fantastic monitors.... I dont think there is much better out there unless you go w/ a professional graphics monitor for a lot more $$$$. Good luck.

-Adrayic

NED Diamond pro i can vouch for.

Doesn't matter to much if they all have the same apature grill tech.

Back