Looking for a NEW card? Need help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LogRus

Member
 
Joined
Jan 15, 2004
Location
Seattle, WA
IMPORTANT NOTE: I have realized that it is better to ask these questions in a NEW thread as it seems there isn't much help if they are asked in this Sticky. Seems like it gets the "Quiet Sticky Syndrome" and nobody sees it. So if you are looking for a new card, follow the steps from this thread to give ocforums members enough info to help you out.
Almost every other day I see a thread asking about a new card. And many times helpers ask same questions, so to help you get your info faster, answer those questions to us first:

1) What are your system specifications? Give us full specs:

CPU =
Motherboard =
RAM =
PSU =
Current Video Card =
etc.

2) What is your budget?
3) For how long are you planning to have this new card?
4) What will the new Video Card be used for?
--- a) Hard-Core Gaming - LOVE GAMING!
--- b) Mixed = Some gaming but not much, a card that will let me play at least at medium/high settings.
--- c) A cheap-o card on which I might be able to game sometimes, not much power needed.
--- d) My grandpa wouldn't care what kind of a card it is, but he'd like to watch DVD's.
5) If Gaming, please tells us the games you're planning to play. Please list as many as you'd love to play.

You can find great VGA charts with 3DMarks and Game tests on these pages (recent first):

-Tom's VGA Charts 2010
-Tom's VGA Charts 2007: All PCI-E, just select the card/game from the drop down menu.
-Tom's VGA Charts 2006: All PCI-E, just select the card/game from the drop down menu.

Alternatively, I'd suggest looking through Anandtech's great reviews here: http://www.anandtech.com/tag/gpus

Where to BUY?

And finally when you're ready with your question about a new card anybody from OC-Forums would be happy to help out.

When you're ready to buy, check Cyber Deals sections for great deals on PC hardware or check one of the trusted stores like www.newegg.com or www.zipzoomfly.com for the card you chose!

You can also try looking for the card on those search engines:
http://www.pricegrabber.com/
http://www.pricerunner.com/
http://www.pricewatch.com

And this is very IMPORTANT, you should ALWAYS check the store you choose on http://www.resellerratings.com/ if you are not familiar with it.

If somebody knows more ways to help a fellow member in choosing the card, let me know and I'll update the thread :).
 
Last edited:

zetachi

Registered
 
Joined
Nov 29, 2004
Location
NYC
Let me be the first to post then :). I'm thinking about upgrading my card. Since i just upgraded my CPU and MOBO I'm sticking with AGP for the forseeable future (no Cash) My present system is EPOX 9NDA3J Opteron 144 2 x 1GB Patriot LL 3200 RAM and an XFX 6600GT AGP TT Silent Purepower 420WPSU (i also have an Antec True 550 PSU that I could swap for more power). Mostly playing BF2, UT2004 Fear, Far Cry. Does it pay to sell off this card and buy a 6800? looking to spend @ $200
 

DeviantV1ral

Member
 
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
me next current card is an 8500 le128 mb card

CPU =barton 2500+ non oc'd
Motherboard =ECS N2U400-a
RAM =2x256 on samsung one is kingston one slot left
PSU = raidmax 300w power supply
budget is around 160
planning tohave it last till i get money for pci-e so that'll b as long as possible

mostly play bf2 CoD2 just wanna play all the enw games coming out decently

wat performance can i expect from this? been out of the scenein a year so iunno nething. tnx
 
Last edited:

zetachi

Registered
 
Joined
Nov 29, 2004
Location
NYC
DeviantV1ral said:
me next

CPU =barton 2500+ non oc'd
Motherboard =ECS N2U400-a
RAM =2x256 on samsung one is kingston one slot left
PSU = raidmax 300w power supply
budget is around 160
planning tohave it last till i get money for pci-e so that'll b as long as possible

mostly play bf2 CoD2 just wanna play all the enw games coming out decently

wat performance can i expect from this? been out of the scenein a year so iunno nething. tnx
For BF2 I'd up my RAM first 512MB really wont cut it to well. for that budget I'd go with the 6600GT. It really is a great low priced card.
 

LogRus

Member
 
Joined
Jan 15, 2004
Location
Seattle, WA
zetachi said:
For BF2 I'd up my RAM first 512MB really wont cut it to well. for that budget I'd go with the 6600GT. It really is a great low priced card.

I'd second that,

and as for your matter, where you'd like to sell off 6600GT and buy a 6800 flavour, I'd say go for it. You'd be able to play all latest games at decent settings and since you've just upgraded your system it should last you for a long time. And I'd rather switch to X800XT or better. I've seen one X800XT PE going for $235 around here. You should be able to get yourself a decent system going if you just look around :). And according to TomsHardware.com your upgrade would look something like this:

to 6800GT about 39% increase
to 6800 Ultra about 56%
it says that X800XT would only give you about 29% increase, but I'd say YMMV and it should be better then 6800GT.
 

darksparkz

Member
 
Joined
Jun 11, 2005
Location
Chicago, IL
zetachi said:
Let me be the first to post then :). I'm thinking about upgrading my card. Since i just upgraded my CPU and MOBO I'm sticking with AGP for the forseeable future (no Cash) My present system is EPOX 9NDA3J Opteron 144 2 x 1GB Patriot LL 3200 RAM and an XFX 6600GT AGP TT Silent Purepower 420WPSU (i also have an Antec True 550 PSU that I could swap for more power). Mostly playing BF2, UT2004 Fear, Far Cry. Does it pay to sell off this card and buy a 6800? looking to spend @ $200

Not too worth it to go for a 6800, you rather save up for a 6800GT, unless you get a refurb or used 6800GT for around 200.

And you'd definitely want to upgrade to 1GB of ram first before changing up your video card.
 

ilikepie

Member
 
Joined
Oct 16, 2005
Location
New York, New York
cpu= 2.8 northwood 3.3 @ 1.625v
mobo= asus p4p800se
ram= 2x512 ddr 400 micron (jacked from a dell)
psu= fortoron ax450pn
current card= geforce fx5200
price= >150
keeping card for about a year

Thanks
 

jcw122

Member
 
 
Joined
Jun 25, 2004
Sticky! this would make an excellent help thread.

Logrus, for "Where to Buy" section, I'd like to make a suggestion that you add www.pricegrabber.com as it's a great site for finding prices, all over the net.
 

darksparkz

Member
 
Joined
Jun 11, 2005
Location
Chicago, IL
ilikepie said:
cpu= 2.8 northwood 3.3 @ 1.625v
mobo= asus p4p800se
ram= 2x512 ddr 400 micron (jacked from a dell)
psu= fortoron ax450pn
current card= geforce fx5200
price= >150
keeping card for about a year

Thanks

I'd say go for the 6600GT or 6800. If you can, the next step up is the 6800GT, where you can get refurb or used for $200 or so.

Yeah, I recommend www.pricegrabber.com as well. www.pricerunner.com isn't bad either. The thing on anandtech.com is sometimes useful as well.
 

FeralCom

Member
 
Joined
Mar 11, 2002
CPU = AMD Athlon 64 3000+
Motherboard = ASUS K8T800 (AGP slot)
RAM = 1GB PC=3200
PSU = Antec 420w

Current Card – ATI 9800 pro

I have decided to wait till the end of the 3rd quarter next year to build a new system. My current system is enough to keep me happy till then, but the video card will have to go.

I need an AGP card that offers the most bang for my buck, last me 9 months and play games well with widescreen resolutions.
 

LogRus

Member
 
Joined
Jan 15, 2004
Location
Seattle, WA
jcw122 said:
Sticky! this would make an excellent help thread.

Logrus, for "Where to Buy" section, I'd like to make a suggestion that you add www.pricegrabber.com as it's a great site for finding prices, all over the net.

Done! Thank you for the info!


darksparkz said:
Yeah, I recommend www.pricegrabber.com as well. www.pricerunner.com isn't bad either. The thing on anandtech.com is sometimes useful as well.

Done! Thanks!

Also added resellerratings.com for stores' ratings.


FeralCom said:
CPU = AMD Athlon 64 3000+
Motherboard = ASUS K8T800 (AGP slot)
RAM = 1GB PC=3200
PSU = Antec 420w

Current Card – ATI 9800 pro

I have decided to wait till the end of the 3rd quarter next year to build a new system. My current system is enough to keep me happy till then, but the video card will have to go.

I need an AGP card that offers the most bang for my buck, last me 9 months and play games well with widescreen resolutions.


So you're looking for a new AGP card for the next 9 months? If yes what would be your budget? or you've reserved the space for future upgrade?
 

FeralCom

Member
 
Joined
Mar 11, 2002
I only need it to last about 9 months because it and the machine it will be installed in will be passed down the line. In about 9 months, I will be building a new system with a top-end PCIE card.

I guess my budget will be close to $200 for the AGP card. I’m really looking for more Bang-for-your-buck considering I wont be using it long. Basically I need an AGP card that is better than 9800pro to use for a short time.
 

LordDarik

Member
 
Joined
Sep 12, 2005
Location
General Hardware
FeralCom said:
I only need it to last about 9 months because it and the machine it will be installed in will be passed down the line. In about 9 months, I will be building a new system with a top-end PCIE card.

I guess my budget will be close to $200 for the AGP card. I’m really looking for more Bang-for-your-buck considering I wont be using it long. Basically I need an AGP card that is better than 9800pro to use for a short time.
I'd say a 6800 or X800GTO would be good for that budget.
 

LogRus

Member
 
Joined
Jan 15, 2004
Location
Seattle, WA
FeralCom said:
I only need it to last about 9 months because it and the machine it will be installed in will be passed down the line. In about 9 months, I will be building a new system with a top-end PCIE card.

I guess my budget will be close to $200 for the AGP card. I’m really looking for more Bang-for-your-buck considering I wont be using it long. Basically I need an AGP card that is better than 9800pro to use for a short time.

I agree with LordDarik on this one. X800GTO AGP or a 6800 flavour would be just enough to play games at High settings and hold you on for the next 9 months. I should also suggest the upcoming 6800GS that should be coming out next week (thanks jcw122).

X800GTO:

1. $175.85 + $1 S&H but REFURBISHED - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102608R
2. $193 + $3.50 S&H NEW/OEM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102608

6800GT:

1. $209 + $1 but REFURBISHED - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814122195R

Also try searching OC-Forums' Video & Sound Classifieds section for some good deals on those cards.
 

jcw122

Member
 
 
Joined
Jun 25, 2004
LogRus said:
I agree with LordDarik on this one. X800GTO AGP or a 6800 flavour would be just enough to play games at High settings and hold you on for the next 9 months. I should also suggest the upcoming 6800GS that should be coming out next week (thanks jcw122).

X800GTO:

1. $175.85 + $1 S&H but REFURBISHED - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102608R
2. $193 + $3.50 S&H NEW/OEM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102608

6800GT:

1. $209 + $1 but REFURBISHED - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814122195R

Also try searching OC-Forums' Video & Sound Classifieds section for some good deals on those cards.

Oh wow! LOL I actually was looking for an AGP card myself, and I may just get one of those, nice find on the 6800GT BTW. And I didn't even know the x800GTO was out in AGP already, sweet!
 

LogRus

Member
 
Joined
Jan 15, 2004
Location
Seattle, WA
JigPu said:
What he said :)

*stickified!*
JigPu

Thank you! And a Thank You for jcw122! :) I just hope people in need will notice the thread back here in the Stickies :).

Oh wow! LOL I actually was looking for an AGP card myself, and I may just get one of those, nice find on the 6800GT BTW. And I didn't even know the x800GTO was out in AGP already, sweet!

It sure was, and you should be considering this X800GTO in case you are interested I've heard it is possible to mod it to X800XT PE standards. Altough I'm not totally sure it is possible with AGP model of GTO.
 

jcw122

Member
 
 
Joined
Jun 25, 2004
LogRus said:
Thank you! And a Thank You for jcw122! :) I just hope people in need will notice the thread back here in the Stickies :).



It sure was, and you should be considering this X800GTO in case you are interested I've heard it is possible to mod it to X800XT PE standards. Altough I'm not totally sure it is possible with AGP model of GTO.

Actually, if I'm correct, the X800GTO2 (2 being a key part) for PCI-E...unlocks to a x850something...is that what you mean't?

And yeah I wonder if the AGP will unlock to anything.