• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a new graphics card or two

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

otoolec

Registered
I'm in the process of building a new case mod and I've decided it would look real nice if the graphics card(s) were water cooled as right now the loop would only be for the cpu, and maybe the ram if I get ambitious. I am not a gamer by any standards, but I do enjoy having a system that would make any gamer proud.

I do a lot of hardware mods and hardware addition. I am a computer (hardware) engineer and use my knowledge to expand upon the systems capabilities. I like to do fun things such as add a couple arduinos to my cases to control computers in the same setup, my own fan and led controllers, motorized cases, and fun things with peripheral devices.

1)
CPU = AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE
Motherboard = MSI 890FXA-GD70
RAM = A-DATA XPG Gaming Series 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
PSU = HEC XP1080 1080W Continuous @ 40°C
Current Video Card = MSI N250GTS TwinFrozr 1G OC GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit GDDR3

2) Budget is probably near $200ish but I guess it really depends on how excited I get

3) Well it appears as though hardware lasts me about a year before I decide its time to upgrade again, so I'll go with that.

4) The card will be used far below its potential, mainly to watch 1080p movies. I don't game, I simply enjoy overclocking and making people who do game, jealous of my system. I currently own two 24" 1920x1080 Asus monitors, though if i had 2 cards I would probably buy 2 more monitors.

5) The only possible games that will be played will be ones designed by myself on a separate microcontroller, and I'll send some data to the comp via usb or something to show in-game stats. Absolutely nothing even remotely close to being considered graphics intensive. I sincerely apologize if this troubles or hurts any of you hardcore gamers out there.

Thanks for the help!
~ Connor

Last edited: