• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for advice on a new build - high performance rig [gaming, coding, UK]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Paraselene

Registered
Hey guys,

Looking to build a new high performance rig - It's my main workhorse machine so it'll be built for gaming, but I'll also be doing a lot of web development/security/testing related tasks with it, such as running multiple VMs, image editing, etc. I'm looking for best bang for buck, but I'm not really budget constrained. The final requirement is absolutely minimal sound footprint with no LEDs active (it's installed in a bedroom).

Budget: £3000
OSes: Dual boot: Arch Linux/Windows 10 Professional (which I'll need to purchase)
Monitors: Currently 1, but looking to have a dual monitor setup again. Already own an old Iiyama Prolite E2607WS, which will become the secondary monitor. Considering ASUS ROG SWIFT PG258Q as replacement main monitor.

New components I've already sourced:
* EVGA SuperNova P2 850 W Platinum Fully Modular Power Supply Unit
* MSI GeForce GTX 1070 ARMOR 8G OC. 1920 Cuda Core PCIE 3.0 8 GB GDDR5 256-Bit Graphics Card

Reason for upgrade:
Previous PC has given up the ghost.

My current build ideas are here:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/GYxR9W

I've gone with the i7-700k as it seems to be great value for money in the UK atm, compared to Broadwell-E and Ryzen CPUs. I've not yet selected the mobo and welcome all suggestions/critique.

Thanks!

Are your vms cpu heavy? Ram heavy? Both?

Not especially so far, although it very much depends on the kind of work I'm doing. For the most part atm these are just Kali Linux VMs with a couple of tools running on them at a given time.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/xFw323/cryorig-cpu-cooler-crr1a

This cooler is quieter than the noctua, and performs just as well. But a bit higher price in your region*Cheaper here in the us*

As for the mobo, pick a Z270 with all the features you need and want. For your purposes, you don't really need great overclocking capability, and most motherboards these days are good enough for casual overclocking needs.

I'd downgrade the NVME drive and use a standard 850 evo for now, the prices on ssd's are expected to drop a LOT come fall/winter. There is a silicon shortage at the moment, which is driving prices insane.

Also, May is the worst time to buy a CPU, as the next generation of hardware is juuuust around the corner. In your case, you won't have much choice though.

You're good on RAM for your needs;

Do you have peripherals such as the mouse/keyboard already? And do you need to go wireless?

Also, If acoustics is a concern, pick up a few https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/TG9KHx/cougar-case-fan-cfv12hpb for 120mm fans, and https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/bmw323/cougar-case-fan-cfv14hb budget permitting. EDIT: Looks like it isn't available in UK. Oops. No experience in any alternatives unfortunately.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/YKfp99/bitfenix-case-fan-bffsprop14025kkrp This moves a LOT of air for the amount of noise produced, and is a really reputable fan manufacturer(140mm)

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/XTGkcf/gelid-solutions-case-fan-fnpx1412 I have personally used a Gelid product before; The quality is expected to be very high. (140mm ultra quiet)

aaand on the quieter spectrum

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/VwMFf7/prolimatech-case-fan-ultrasleekvortex12fan Another ultra quiet fan.(120mm)

Last edited:
I think the last estimates I saw on the flash shortage was the end of this year or early 2018. For multiple VMs, multiple cores might serve you better. Are you going to be gaming while VMs are running?

For multiple VMs, multiple cores might serve you better. Are you going to be gaming while VMs are running?

Probably not gaming while running the VMs, though I do have a tendency to have loads of browser windows/tab proliferate, and they're open while I game :)

So I won't be outwaiting the flash shortage, I'll just have to bite the bullet there. What about the next gen of tech?

The SkylakeX Intel and Threadripper from AMD should be monsters for those who actually need them. The 7700k is still a more than viable chip for most uses, though. And it's the top of the gaming heap, as well. Honestly, most people would be hard pressed to need more than the big Kaby Lake. In a couple years you can throw a mild overclock on it and likely skate for another 3 years with no loss in comparative performance to whatever is out then. I can leave 20+ tabs open across two browsers while gaming and come nowhere close to utilizing 8 threads at 4.6 GHz and 16 GB of RAM. My internet connection speed is the biggest bottleneck I have. I've tried to jam up my hardware and failed every time. (Because if I can invent a need, I can justify an upgrade. Right? LOL)

Probably not gaming while running the VMs, though I do have a tendency to have loads of browser windows/tab proliferate, and they're open while I game :)

So I won't be outwaiting the flash shortage, I'll just have to bite the bullet there. What about the next gen of tech?
since you mentioned there isnt much going on in these vms, you can use a 7700k with little worry.

I wouldnt worry about a silicon shortage either....(i really am nkt sure what that has to do with anything).

As far as next gen cpu, intel has one coming out in a few weeks give or take, but its not worth waiting for in your case. Amd doesnt have anything coming out soon cpu wise...

Alaric, that link takes me to a Figo smart phone for $99.99. And don't forget, OP is in the UK.

Alaric, that link takes me to a Figo smart phone for $99.99. And don't forget, OP is in the UK.

Takes me to a phone now, too. And I did miss the UK thing. It's a shame, the 'egg had a 500 GB Samsung EVO 850 for $165.

update: Still does. Last Shell Shocker on the slide show menu at the top of the page. They still have them at that price.

Here's my latest build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£299.94 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15S 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler (£69.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX Z270-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£188.28 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Corsair - Dominator Platinum 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£264.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£279.98 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card (Purchased For £0.00)
Case: be quiet! - Dark Base 900 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case (£159.58 @ More Computers)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For £0.00)
Total: £1262.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-22 20:27 BST+0100

I've not selected the new monitor yet, but strictly speaking that's not necessary. Feedback welcome!

Looks good then psu might be a bit overkill but I'm a fan of a bit bigger PSU so the fan doesn't have to spin as fast at the full load.

What OC are you aiming for ? 4.8 ?

You can get a evga g2/g3 550w and nit hear the fan spin... that system will pull 300-350w stock. 350-400 overcloked to its limits. You wont hear the fan, but will miss the $30+ price difference. If you are that worried, and you shouldnt be, go 650W.

So I'm now wondering whether I should go with the Ryzen 1700 and the Asus Crosshair VI Hero... decisions, decisions.

Here's a question: should I be making use of Geekbench's benchmarks to give a good indication of performance? Despite having half the cores available and running hotter, the 7700K seems only marginally less performant using multiple cores than the Ryzen 7, but benched significantly higher in single-core performance. Having said that I appreciate benchmarks aren't the whole story, and lots of seemingly knowledgable folks are suggesting that right now, the Ryzen represents better value for money.

In the UK the 7700K is £299.94, and the 1700 is £279.98.

Back