• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for an ATX 'Y' power cable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wedo

Senior Kitty Power!
Alright,

Don't get all hostle with me how I should make my own or why I shouldn't run two mobo's off of one psu.... :D

So, I'm looking for an ATX Power Y cable for the Yatta I'm building. I have sent emails to three websites who sell cables hoping they can make them for me as I'd rather pay $5-$10 for one than splice twenty wires four times.

If anyone finds a source, let me know, or I'll have to break down and build the things....

Wedo

StatsMan

You ought to plan on getting your soldering iron out. No one will build those cables for you as they would then take on the liability should any of your equipment get fried.

I have built 2 of these for my yatta box and it really isn't that hard. Takes about 30 minutes per Y. Use Larry Perry's site for instructions and get the extension cables and solder them together. If I did it for you it would cost you about $50 per Y cable, for my time and materials and S&H.

bubba gump

Warhawk said:
I have a Y powercable. One that just splits the 4 pin molex connector right?

I dont think he means a molex splitter, those are too easy for our borger to find :p

What im pretty sure Wedo is talking about is something to split the 20pin ATX power u hook into the motherboard. Im pretty sure they dont make them, but if they do that would be heaven

'Bump

*and* i see...StatsMan may have a good idea going on here :)

OP
Wedo

Wedo

Senior Kitty Power!
Whoa....

/quick bow and "we're not worthy" to StatsMan.....

Thanks, I figured as much, but I thought I'd ask.

Wedo

OP
Wedo

Wedo

Senior Kitty Power!
KaHNZa said:
Is there a cable that does the same thing but in reverse? So a person could connect 2 PSUs to one mobo?

I haven't seen one, but it'd make for a nice camp fire! :D

Wedo

TUK101

Why not just get a couple of "micro atx" 145 watt psu's for what you are wanting to do? The two of them together would be nearly the size of one large psu and do what you are after. Sorry if I am way off topic here, just a suggestion. Also, what would be so hard about stripping the wires and splicing/soldering another connector into your psu and using some shrink wrap to cover the bare wires again?

xsquared_uk

Yeah, it would be much easier to get 2 cheap PSU's and a Y type power cable, so that it only needs 1 plug socket but runs both PSU's off it - I know it takes up more space etc but cost wise that's probably the cheapest if you don't do the split yourself. If space is an issue you could always use the PSU's 'naked'?

bubba gump

Well, the reason that hes doing this is because this is the most power conservative way to make a Yatta Monster, if you do a search on the foums for Yatta AND monster you should come up w/a thread by stymee/gator.....

And the reason he would prefer it be done by someone else, coz maybe he doesnt feel to "safe" doing it, sometimes id actually prefer someone unlock my cpu for me, then i got a 2100+ tbred :D, and my 1600+ pali died :(

Rav

Don't have a Y but I do have 1 or 2 extra ATX connectors I've cut off dead power supplies. I could probably get more at work too, we see dead power supplies daily.

-Rav

Mr B

Senior Admin Emeritus
Rav said:
Don't have a Y but I do have 1 or 2 extra ATX connectors I've cut off dead power supplies. I could probably get more at work too, we see dead power supplies daily.

-Rav

The hard part on that though, is finding the connectors that the PSU's themselves would plug into. What you have is the end that plugs into the mobo.

There's a place about a 40 minute drive from me that sells the 20 pin ATX extensions...but you'd have to buy two of them, and still do the cutting/splicing. I want to say they wanted $10 - $12 for them...but it's been so long since I've driven out there, I honestly can't recall...

B.

OP
Wedo

Wedo

Senior Kitty Power!
Thanks Rav, Mr. B, and everyone else who posted as I appreciate your input.

There are numerous sites that sell ATX power extensions in a variety of sizes (up to 16") so I have a source for that. The reason I wanted to buy them is striclty for time reduction.

One of the jobs I had prior to my computer career was as the Master Electrician for a show in Las Vegas. I ran the lights during the show and then did all the install/maintenance as well. I've spliced plenty of cable in my day but I'd rather just snap to plugs than splice twenty wires three times.

Furthermore, I want to use ONE PSU per TWO MOBO's. :D This will reduce heat, noise, space, initial cost, and my electric bill.

One more thing, you don't need to shrink wrap the wires. About two inches of electrical tape wrapped at a slight angle down and around each wire will work just fine.

Thanks again,

Wedo

Ridenow

Sneaky Moderator
I agree with statsman. There was a link to a site that had the instructions for making it, you have to cut one of the "power good" wires, but I lost my favorites.
I purchased a few extentions with the intention of making an adapter like you describe, but have not gotten to that project yet. http://www.centrix.com had the extensions for $9.99