• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for an inexpsive, quality, low-profile sound card for a 5.1 speaker set

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Groov3st3r

Right, so I bought a logitech Z506 set and it's and it's amazing :) I love it. It cost me next to nothing and the quality is great.

But the problem is I am running it off my motherboard. Nothing wrong with that, it all works. But....
Rear speakers aren't amplified correctly. They are a lot quieter than front speakers. I have been trying to adjust the balance levels for each speaker to give me the best soundstage and even out the differences but it's not exactly easy.

I can't change latencies on speakers and due to the shape of my room, I have some speakers closer to me than others (especially that it's not biased back-to-front but left-to-right.... that makes it weirder).

I can't access any form of equalizer to change responses and set the sound up just how I want it for each speaker... and on top of that, I'm limited to only 2 preset position setups for 5.1 when my actual setup is a bit of a hybrid between both of them.

Without a sound card, this set is not being utilized to it's full potential.

Basically, I need a cheap sound card that can go into a PCI-e port (only one available) that is slim enough to give me airflow for the GPU fans (low height, length does not matter) but it also has to amplify all outputs, allow me some more control over my speakers and produce a quality sound to justify spending money on. (onboard sound comes from an Extreme4-m motherboard).

That's a lot to ask, I know, but I'm just trying to make the most of this situation ^^ Any help is appreciated.

Have you tried windows 7's audio "correcter," given you have a mic, you can run it and it will send a pitch and the mic will pickup, and windows automatically figures out the correct lag.

Obviously this would not help you if your not using W7 but since you mention you can not change the lag, I know this will do it for you.

Back