• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for cheapest PCIe x1 passive video card with HDMI out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mpegger

Title pretty much says it all. I'm in need of a super cheap video card, preferably passively cooled, absolutely no direct PSU power connection, must work in PCIe x1 slot, and must have HDMI output. Full height as well, though if I have to, I could just duct tape a half height card in place. :chair:

So far in my search I've found the ZOTAC GeForce GT 710 which fits the bill, but if there's something else out there for less, I'd appreciate the information.

I'll also consider a USB to HDMI solution, but so far all I've found are ones that require DisplayPort Alternate Mode to be supported by the port.

My quick search shows that this may be the only card that ticks all those boxes. I recently did an extensive search for a passive cooling card for my wife and that research tells me you are on the right track for what you want.

Welp, the GT 710 didn't work for the exact project I needed it for as I could not get it to work in the same system as a AMD 5700 XT, so I regulated it to a low powered PC for light gaming/Nvidia 3D viewing.

Tried a AMD R5 340X, that I proceeded to mod by cutting off the extra lanes to convert the x16 card (x8 electrical) to a x1. Works fine, but still didn't perform as intended along the 5700 XT.

AMD still releasing buggy drivers, though I don't believe it's entirely their fault this time around as from what I've read, Microsoft completely changed the audio stack starting in 1903 of W10. Currently the HDMI audio drops out/disconnects randomly depending on what your doing. By using a different video card HDMI out, I was hopeing to bypass the issue as I believed it was just a hardware and driver issue, being that the 5700 XT is so new. However, it just made the problem worse, so now I know it's a driver/W10 issue in the audio audio stack. I actually had to go back to 1809 just to band aid a fix.

That would only work for a half height card, not a full height, or if there was a side mount option in the case. They do make half height to full height adapters, but it still wouldn't have helped as the issue is driver/W10 related.

Back