• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for Curved Monitor with 350 Nit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twisted4000

I have an Acer GN246HL monitor which I love, but I want a second one, and after testing out curved monitors, I want one that's curved. Acer also makes curved monitors, but none of them are in 350 Nit brightness, which the current one I have is. I just want to find one that's curved and is the same brightness as my flat monitor. Do they even exist anywhere? I also want it in 144Hz. I can't seem to find one. If anyone knows of any monitor that has these specs, lemme know. Thank you.

Have you worked with a curved monitor for any length of time? I ask because their appeal just does not last - at least not for many users. That's why they have not really grown in popularity.

The problem with curved monitors is there really is only one "sweet spot" to set your head to get the best viewing. Move a little bit to either side, and half the screen dims or becomes distorted as you move out of the ideal viewing angle. Move in too close or move away too far, and all but a thin center strip becomes dim or distorted. Unless you "triangulate" your head at just the right distance from screen center, that ideal viewing angle quickly moves out of that sweet spot for much of the screen. This has become a big problem for TVs where there is often more than one viewer. With computer monitors and only one person viewing, it may not be a problem - if you don't move around much.

I am not trying to talk you out of a curved monitor - just want you to understand the downside to them.

As for finding a monitor with the same brightness as your current Acer - that's going to be a problem. I've been a dual-monitor user for over 30 years. In fact, I don't see how anyone can live with just one monitor on their PC. One thing I have noticed over the years with probably dozens of different dual monitor setups is no two monitors are exactly the same when it comes to brightness and contrast. Even colors appear different. The best way to ensure both monitors have the same display characteristics is to buy two identical monitors - and even then there will be slight differences.

Have you worked with a curved monitor for any length of time? I ask because their appeal just does not last - at least not for many users. That's why they have not really grown in popularity.

The problem with curved monitors is there really is only one "sweet spot" to set your head to get the best viewing. Move a little bit to either side, and half the screen dims or becomes distorted as you move out of the ideal viewing angle. Move in too close or move away too far, and all but a thin center strip becomes dim or distorted. Unless you "triangulate" your head at just the right distance from screen center, that ideal viewing angle quickly moves out of that sweet spot for much of the screen. This has become a big problem for TVs where there is often more than one viewer. With computer monitors and only one person viewing, it may not be a problem - if you don't move around much.

I am not trying to talk you out of a curved monitor - just want you to understand the downside to them.

As for finding a monitor with the same brightness as your current Acer - that's going to be a problem. I've been a dual-monitor user for over 30 years. In fact, I don't see how anyone can live with just one monitor on their PC. One thing I have noticed over the years with probably dozens of different dual monitor setups is no two monitors are exactly the same when it comes to brightness and contrast. Even colors appear different. The best way to ensure both monitors have the same display characteristics is to buy two identical monitors - and even then there will be slight differences.

Thank you, that was a very good and eye-opening response.

I do like curved monitors a lot, and I do understand the downsides. But I don't have an issue with them as long as they are the main monitor I'm using, as I tend to stay in virtually the same exact spot when I'm working/gaming. I can see them being a bit of a problem if you had a group of people all trying to view it at once, though.

I looked around and I found a handful of curved monitors with similar specs to the Acer, but I think you're right, unless you actually test them side-by-side, you can't truly compare them accurately. Perhaps we just have to deal with multiple monitors not being precisely the same. I think I'll just wait until they become more affordable and the technology is more perfected. :)

Thank you!

Or you could buy 2 new ones and they'll be the same:thup: they might still be different slightly when viewed side by side, less you calibrate them..

less you calibrate them..
Even then, there may be a slight difference. While I have only seen this a couple times, it can happen where two identical monitors, even after calibration, show slight differences - especially with whites and very light colors. And the problem is, with two monitors, you don't know which one is off. So what one client did was buy a 3rd identical monitor, calibrate it and then pick the two monitors that matched most closely. Then he returned the one that was off. A PITA but in the end, he was happy.

Back