• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking for feedback for first water loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

straxxus

Registered
I've been building/overclocking PCs for a few years now, and have found myself at the point of needing to water cool. I'm running an fx-8350 at 4.7ghz and my aio simply cannot keep it under 65c running prime95. So I've been researching water cooling for a few months now while setting aside some funds for a loop. I wanted to see if what I picked out were good quality parts before I bought anything. So here's what I've picked out:
X2O 420 Single Bayres/Pump
EK-Supremacy MX CPU Waterblock AMD - Plexi
XSPC EX240 Crossflow Series Copper Dual-Fan Radiator
XSPC G1/4" to 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD Compression Fitting - Chrome Finish
PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Tubing - 7/16in. ID X 5/8in. OD - Bloodshed Red

:welcome: to OCFs.

First I'd like to ask if you're going to keep this as a CPU only loop or possibly add some GPU's down the line? If you're not ever adding GPUs, most end up doing so, than this setup is mine for a CPU only loop.

I would like to know what kind of case is this all going into. The EX240 is a nice rad but is fairly thin (35mm). If you're able to, I would look at some of the rads that are either 45mm, 60mm or even 80mm (monsta) just to have that extra elbow room if you're into high clocks, especially on an AMD.

Thanks for the reply! To answer your questions: I will most likely add a GPu to the loop at some point in the future. The case I have is a cougar challenger, which is rather limited in radiator space so I will be upgrading if the need arises. I didn't realize the rad was a thin rad, the pic got kinda squished on my phones display :p

Thanks for the reply! To answer your questions: I will most likely add a GPu to the loop at some point in the future. The case I have is a cougar challenger, which is rather limited in radiator space so I will be upgrading if the need arises. I didn't realize the rad was a thin rad, the pic got kinda squished on my phones display :p

Yeah, not the best cases for custom water cooling. Having troubling finding any and the only ones that do come up are ones with a AIO cooler on it which you already have.

If you're really looking to get into H20, I would honestly advise on getting a different case and a different kit if you're going to be adding a GPU to the loop. Kits are pretty much self explanatory. You're better off picking out the parts yourself but it might cost a bit more but you have more control on what to buy.

120.3-120.4 would be ideal for a CPU + single GPU loop at pretty decent low noise levels and temps.

Well I've got about $400 total for this project, so I think I can manage a new case as well. Is there anything good for water cooling around the $100-150 mark? And also how much of a difference in heat dissipation would there be if I went to 140mm fans/rad?

Well I've got about $400 total for this project, so I think I can manage a new case as well. Is there anything good for water cooling around the $100-150 mark? And also how much of a difference in heat dissipation would there be if I went to 140mm fans/rad?

All depends on how much heat load you'll have and heat surface you'll need. Going for quite and cool temps or loud and cool temps?

You can easily find a nice case for that range. One of my favorites at that price range is the Corsair Air 540 for example.

As for rads and fans, I would stick with the industry standard atm and go with 120mm rads and fans. 120mm fans are more common and work best with rads than 140s atm.

Thanks so much for all the help, 2 last questions. I saw a 200mm radiator when I was shopping around, brand was phobya. Would that be adequate for a CPU+GPU? And finally would a brass kill-coil actually work as a kill coil?

Thanks so much for all the help, 2 last questions. I saw a 200mm radiator when I was shopping around, brand was phobya. Would that be adequate for a CPU+GPU? And finally would a brass kill-coil actually work as a kill coil?

Nope. Those aren't so great. Reason why 120mm is better is because the fans provide great static pressure as opposed to 200mm fans. You'll need that 200mm to really ramp up to do so. The bigger fans advantage is their CFM. The higher the CFM, the more air flow but those are great as case fans. When it comes to rad fans, one of the most important is static pressure. There are a number of 120mm rad fans out there that perform really well in that department.

And I almost forgot. You'll want a silver kill coil or dead water as your biocide.

Another case to look out for would be the Corsair 750D

Last edited:
Back