• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Looking for input on prime95 results and CPU behavior

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fueloficarus

Registered
Hey all, I'm just wrapping up the OC on my new build (new MB, new video card, 2 new SSDs and a new PSU, details in my signature) and I'm looking for some opinions.

Right now I'm overclocking my FX-8320 to 4.4ghz, and it idles at about 20c. As I'm typing this I'm into I think my third hour of Prime95. When it clocks down to 1405 I have core temp readouts of 47-51 (CPUZ reads 1.488V), when it clocks back up to 4415 I maxed out at about 66 (1.512V), but average between 61 and 63.5 under load. My socket maxes out at 79C, by the way.

I have my CPU LLC set to Ultra High and my CPU/NB LLC to High with both set to 130% capability.

How stable does this sound to everyone? It seems reasonable to me, but I'm wondering if I could tweak anything to increase the stability at all, or if this is stable? I made the switch to AMD last year and this is my first time OC'ing on an ASUS board (those VRM Heatsinks :shock:).

My Rig: OS: Windows 10 Pro
CPU: AMD FX-8320 Vishera 8 Core 3.5ghz (OCd to 4.4 with an Evo 212 Cooler)
GPU: MSI Radeon RX480 8GB
PSU: EVGA 600Watt
Mobo: ASUS 970 Aura
16GB DDR3 RAM
WD Blue 1TB HD, 120 Samsung 750 SSD and a Sandisk 240 GB SSD

Last edited:
Is it clocking down to 1400 while running P95? If so it's throttling. Disable APM in bios should stop the throttling unless it's temp related since you're on the edge of max temps as it is. If you have a couple small fans mount one to the VRM area around the CPU and the back of the motherboard over the CPU socket.
Just seems like such high voltage for mid 4GHz

Is it clocking down to 1400 while running P95? If so it's throttling. Disable APM in bios should stop the throttling unless it's temp related since you're on the edge of max temps as it is. If you have a couple small fans mount one to the VRM area around the CPU and the back of the motherboard over the CPU socket.
Just seems like such high voltage for mid 4GHz

Yeah it is. I was told that was prime95 dialing it back and bringing it back up. I'd always used Furmark and 3DMark until I switched to AMD and a friend advised it. I guess he told me wrong?

If I go much lower with my voltage the system won't post. I'll try lowering my OC to 4.3 and dialing back the voltage, because now I'm idling at 44. Last night it was 18, so I'm not sure what the deal is there. Maybe I accidentally loaded another profile.

EDIT:

Okay I'm at it again. Brought the clock down to 4.3 and the voltage to 1.38 (though it's reading 1.440 in CPUZ), but it's not throttling anymore, and after a few minutes with Prime95 burn test I'm at 56. Seems better, no? I'm sorry, I'm completely new to modern overclocking. When I used to do this in the 90s we didn't have all this great monitoring software. Who knows how many innocent CPUs were immolated in the name of and for the sake of Quake and Unreal!

Sounds good, I think you got it. Maybe you can try again with the lower voltage?? Look for APM in the BIOS and disable it anyway. Just go by temps. If it gets too warm the board will throttle again. I think it was current related before with the high voltage.

Well ****. After a while it started again, but the temps are stable at around 58 under load. I guess when it hits 58.6 it throttled down to 1400. It's only happened once or twice. I'm OCing with the modifier, not the Bus speed. I don't know that this makes a huge difference when it comes to the CPU? I'm watching it now and it's happening with increased frequency. I'm still getting a readout of 1.440 Volts in CPUZ, though I set it to 1.38. Maybe I should dial back my LLC? I didn't change them after reducing the voltage.

Last edited:
On the aura set LLC CPU to high same as NB then set the current cap to 120% for both and disable APM

Okay I'm sorry my phone does NOT like forums. It won't let me disable autocorrect. Anyway, I had APM disabled already. I've slowly lowered my OC (I know I'm working backwards) and I think I've found a stable spot at 4.2. My default voltage is 1.404 on the CPU and 1.2 on the CPU/NB, so I, like an idiot, lowered it. I don't know why, probably because I haven't slept in days (injured stuck at home and bored). I've been running Prime for a bit now, have yet to exceed 62 under load and have had no throttling. It took me a while to get it here.

Could the installation of the new GPU be having an effect? I went from a Radeon R9 270 to a RX 480, and I'm thinking that my PSU just isn't having it with my old OC profile and the new power demands.

Could depend what case do you have and how is the airflow set up?

Could depend what case do you have and how is the airflow set up?

Horus ATX with 8 fans (all 120mm LEDs except the 2 90's on the GPU and 120 in the PSU). Normally I'd have ten, but...well let's just say I have the case open right now for OC'ing, waiting on 2 more fans to come through (My girlfriend stepped on one pair when I had them out re configuring the airflow/wiring last week, haha). I also have the wiring bunched to the side to allow for better airflow, and the superficial nonsense door on the Horus taken off (restricts air flow from the front when it's on...also I don't want to open a door every time I open my CDROM). I can attach a pic later if you like.

Nah I checked the case get the idea. I thought maybe if the 480 wasn't a blower type that vets out the back then maybe heat build up but with the side off that's not it. I have the Aura and ran an 8350 on it with a 212 @ 4.5 and 1.45v BUT it's an open bench table. If you have some smaller fans try something on the VRM heatsink and something behind the motherboard. I think this is your problem. The socket temps.
This little fan knocked ten degrees off the socket temp for me
Capturefan.PNG

Nah I checked the case get the idea. I thought maybe if the 480 wasn't a blower type that vets out the back then maybe heat build up but with the side off that's not it. I have the Aura and ran an 8350 on it with a 212 @ 4.5 and 1.45v BUT it's an open bench table. If you have some smaller fans try something on the VRM heatsink and something behind the motherboard. I think this is your problem. The socket temps.
This little fan knocked ten degrees off the socket temp for me
View attachment 186766

Perfect!! Can you recommend something I can use to attach it? It looks like you have some sort of putty there? I have the perfect fan for this, too, and I can take my fan from my FX's stock cooler and throw it on the VRM. Here's my layout, if you have any tips on how I can make this work? mobo.jpg

Can't see the direction of flow for that heat sink fan. Is it blowing towards the back or front? I'd add another fan for push pull on the heat sink but have them all blowing towards the rear case fan.

Bruh...W're talking 16 degrees cooler on the socket, and under stress even my CPU was significantly cooler (though, if you check your PM you'll know why that might be). I don't seem to have a sensor for my VRM, or can't find one in CPUZ, Hardware Monitor or AI Suite. But I think I did a pretty good job putting these in place. I had to attach one of my nylone zips to the screw holding down my EVO, but that was the only dicey move I made (I worry about it being right over the MB processor heatsink and under the CPU heatsink, but they can withstand some pretty intense temps).

Please let me know what you think! I've never stuck a fan on the other side of the socket, just on the VRMs (my last board had **** heat sinks on them) so this feels like a whole new world. And a great reason to leave my case wide open ;-)
socket.jpg vrm.jpg

Can't see the direction of flow for that heat sink fan. Is it blowing towards the back or front? I'd add another fan for push pull on the heat sink but have them all blowing towards the rear case fan.

Yeah it's on my to do list. Well, it was. Now I'm thinking just save that few bucks toward the new processor I want. But if I don't go liquid I'll definitely be getting another fan! I also have one that goes on the side of the case that points at the mobo processor. My general fan direction is from the front to the back, with my top fans creating a mini vortex at higher RPMs (forcing cool air in front of the Evo fan to pull across the heatsink).

You can see it if you have a dry vapor. I used to have dry ice around and it was how I (very carefully) visualized my air flow.

Will do on that program, thanks! So many monitoring apps, so many conflicts.

I'm assuming Temperature 1 and Temperature 2 under my Mobo are my VRMs? Because the GPU VRMs are labelled. They're idling at 32 and 35, respectively.

- - - Updated - - -

Why would I want any of the 9XXX series? They're about as stable as Fiona Apple. ;-) I'm probably going to make the switch back to Intel or wait for the Ryzen.

Phew ok. just making sure :p

Wait for Zen and intel's pricing may change... or may not lol. But at least you'd have more options imo.

Back