• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for more screen + better battery life

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
My Nexus 5x is over 3 years old, battery life is noticeably shorter, is stuck on 8.1 and my present needs will be best served with having more screen real estate. I'm willing to spend more these days, and broadening my horizons to consider brands other than LG and Motorola.

May consider an iPhone, never had one but many friends and family do. I'm a little wary of Samsung products, because of bloatware and possible back door(?) ...maybe that's ancient history. :shrug:

I'd be interested to get some suggestions / feedback on phones .

Right now I'm looking at the Huawei P30 as it was mentioned in a review as being great for photography.

The P30 looks like a great phone. The pro version has something like 4 more megapixels on the camera as well as the much better battery life and apparently both versions have been rooted which is nice too. I'm actually thinking about getting another oneplus3 should this one ever fail simply for the custom rom that it uses. Iow, I'm actually more excited about being able to root and own a device than whether it has the latest chipset. Regardless the Kirin 980 is absolutely tempting but the last time I used emui launcher I had to email the company before they would send me the unlock code which I will never do again if I have a choice. It was really no big deal and I think it took about a week or so. Just enough time for them to get all your info before you rooted it I suppose. Not sure with huawei, mine was a redmi note4. Can't really offer up an opinion on phones other than to say if it can't be rooted don't bother. I'd say just go for it. 40mg px pics should look great. 32mpxl front camera is insane too. The video calling would look great if everybody had a camera like that.
There is one I saw recently. The Purism Librem5 that looks mighty interesting but is $700 and on backorder (supposed to be shipping as of sept 5 already).
Not exactly sure about the actual cellular compatibility with att here and don't want to spend $700 either when the rom on my phone now is pretty darn secure atm. Really for encrypted communications it will always require 2 parties anyway, which again, can already be had for free on all devices made.
https://shop.puri.sm/shop/librem-5/
Just the fact it's on backorder tells me people want their privacy back. I am absolutely sick of the way our data is treated when in fact it's none of anybodies damn business to begin with.

Last edited:
Oh, the Purism Librem5, I had forgotten about that project. I may give the Purism Librem5 some time to mature before I jump onboard.

The librem5 is a good concept phone. Hardware buttons for all the radios and the included encryption aps builtin, plus user replaceable battery. The only problem I see is the fact it costs too much and is not rugged. Easier/cheaper to buy rugged and simply use the secure aps you want. You're still going to need that second party as it is, so why bother buying a 'super duper extra special' device, if the implications are you need 2 of them-when you really don't?
People only need to want their privacy. Special devices are not what is needed at all.
Plus the way the librem is described is like it came from another planet or something. I just want a rugged phone that also has a modern OS interface but without the electronic hooks that google, facebook, and the rest of these idiots think they're going to shove down everyone's throats. 'Secure' phones are neither cheap, nor rugged, and none of the 'secure' OS's for them are free. Nor can they be installed on anything but the same one-off hyped devices. Plus, too many of the 'secure' softwares, are also not free and require a closed circle concept. Librem bitcoin is a perfect example of utter hype with a hollow core. Silent circle is tripe imo. Too much jumping through h$$ps just to maintain privacy. Garbage.

The ulefone armor 3wt ($289 on gearbest vs $600+ for a disposable) is pretty awesome as a piece of rugged smartphone, but without root? Nah. I bought a rugged smartphone direct from gearbest/china for $312 and after I went into the settings and disabled some google aps that I didn't want, the phone bricked itself and refused to boot after that. Full bootloops. I did a full reset when I figured out how to use the hardware buttons to get into fastboot mode but unbelievably it didn't help. I returned it 2 weeks later and they gave me a full refund TG. Any phone with droid 5.x or greater is not easily rooted either. The librem5 is going in the right direction but we're not even close yet.
I was looking at getting a camcorder or something similar myself not a week ago. I'm leaning towards a gopro type kit. Not sure yet.

Last edited:
The librem5 is a good concept phone. Hardware buttons for all the radios and the included encryption aps builtin, plus user replaceable battery. The only problem I see is the fact it costs too much and is not rugged. Easier/cheaper to buy rugged and simply use the secure aps you want. You're still going to need that second party as it is, so why bother buying a 'super duper extra special' device, if the implications are you need 2 of them-when you really don't?
People only need to want their privacy. Special devices are not what is needed at all.
Plus the way the librem is described is like it came from another planet or something. I just want a rugged phone that also has a modern OS interface but without the electronic hooks that google, facebook, and the rest of these idiots think they're going to shove down everyone's throats. 'Secure' phones are neither cheap, nor rugged, and none of the 'secure' OS's for them are free. Nor can they be installed on anything but the same one-off hyped devices. Plus, too many of the 'secure' softwares, are also not free and require a closed circle concept. Librem bitcoin is a perfect example of utter hype with a hollow core. Silent circle is tripe imo. Too much jumping through h$$ps just to maintain privacy. Garbage.

The ulefone armor 3wt ($289 on gearbest vs $600+ for a disposable) is pretty awesome as a piece of rugged smartphone, but without root? Nah. I bought a rugged smartphone direct from gearbest/china for $312 and after I went into the settings and disabled some google aps that I didn't want, the phone bricked itself and refused to boot after that. Full bootloops. I did a full reset when I figured out how to use the hardware buttons to get into fastboot mode but unbelievably it didn't help. I returned it 2 weeks later and they gave me a full refund TG. Any phone with droid 5.x or greater is not easily rooted either. The librem5 is going in the right direction but we're not even close yet.
I was looking at getting a camcorder or something similar myself not a week ago. I'm leaning towards a gopro type kit. Not sure yet.

Interesting post. The ulefone armor 3w /3wt are particularly intriguing, moderate price, apparently durable, I like the idea of replaceable battery. A ulefone armor 3w would offer two features that are important to me, battery longevity and increased screen size(5.7", up from 5.2").

I like it for the 2way radio capabilities. It would make a great walkie talkie in the outdoors. The underwater photo mode is awesome as well. I'm just afraid to disable google but highly doubt it would actually be a problem with this device. The ulefone has a 10.5k battery. Huge but not replaceable I believe. The librem5's is replaceable. I believe they even make a flir lens for it too. Very tempting indeed. The armor6 has been rooted with twrp even so there is hope.:comp:

Well i can be swayed by a "pretty face" or the right price, but I'm tempted to pull the trigger right now on a Motorola Moto G7, unless of course I hear or see something that would be a deal breaker.

The Moto G7 does fill my requirement for ample screen area, and if the descriptive blurb of "All-day battery " is to be believed, those alone would be enough to end my search.

I had an iphone xr that had great battery life (impressive to me) the wife has a Moto z4 that a friend of ours used for a while that said it had great battery life. I sold my xr to that same friend and he said the Moto was batter on battery than the xr was.
We found the moto z4 on sale at bestbuy for $120 outright. its not that price now, but if not in a hurry, it could come back to that price

Well i can be swayed by a "pretty face" or the right price, but I'm tempted to pull the trigger right now on a Motorola Moto G7, unless of course I hear or see something that would be a deal breaker.

The Moto G7 does fill my requirement for ample screen area, and if the descriptive blurb of "All-day battery " is to be believed, those alone would be enough to end my search.
That is a good phone Tim. I got one last year for my wife @$175 (Moto G6 64GB) on sale.:cheers: Higher end check out the Pixel 3A @0% for 24 months. Black Friday deals should bring prices down, if you can wait.

I have an iphone 6S(New battery) or a Nexus 6 if you want something to hold you over.

Last edited:
That is a good phone Tim. I got one last year for my wife @$175 (Moto G6 64GB) on sale.:cheers: Higher end check out the Pixel 3A @0% for 24 months. Black Friday deals should bring prices down, if you can wait.

I have an iphone 6S(New battery) or a Nexus 6 if you want something to hold you over.

Thanks Dave, I'm still focusing on the G7, I'm wondering about how long future Android upgrades, although I guess it shouldn't matter, as long as a phone can get security updates for it's useful life span.

Well the G7 is still on my mind, but the Google Pixel 3a XL is my likely pick. A bit smaller screen than the Moto G7(6.0 vs 6.2) but has a 3700mAh battery, plus is upgradable to Android 10.

Buying myself electronics around this time of year is problematic, will just tell the wife that this phone purchase can be considered a 'gift' from her. ;)

Well I just now ordered the G7 from Best Buy, for $179....$120 less than Newegg. Same phone exactly....I double and triple checked.

Back