• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for new game-fun to play, quick action

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XZit

SUp guys?
I'm looking for a new game.
I just rebuilt my system and I'm able to step it up to all the modern games out there.

Heres my situation.
I'm a busy guy with lots of hobbies, college, e.t.c. so I don't have tons of time to sit down and flail away on some computer game for hours.
So I like a game that I can play-and enjoy right off the bat.

I like fps, and rts.
In terms of fps I was going to go for COD4-I hear the single player mode is short, but I would play mostly online for some quick action.
I was also looking at Crysis

In terms of rts I was going to go for supreme commander forged alliance-and obviously starcraft 2 when it comes out.

Anyhow other suggestions?

Thanks!
pz

ps2cho

Rome: Total War and Medieval 2: Total War

Both great strategy games.

jivetrky

I didn't find COD4 single player to be that short. I'm also one of those ppl that explores everything. :shrug:

But anyway, here's my recommendation list:

Bioshock (A must!)
Orange Box (Excellent value and a big range of stuff to do, HL2 games, Portal which is a lot of single player fun, and TF2 which seems to be pretty awesome for multiplayer)
Crysis is alright, it's beautiful, gameplay for me was just alright. The open-ness was nice, but otherwise it was just decent
Timeshift (This is a decent game, don't spend a ton on it, but if you can get it for a decent price, it's kinda fun)

Eh, there's a few recommendations...I could list every game I like, but that will get you started :)

usp8riot

COD4 - Good online multiplayer action
Crysis - Don't play online but decent FPS
Orange Box - TF2, just couldn't get into it. Not much for cartoony games
ET: Quake Wars - Under-rated game. Quick action, addictive, vehicular combat, and can't beat the price. Came free with my card. Also, old but addictive and free: Wolfenstein ET. FEAR multiplayer is free as well but haven't played it.

With that said, I have other games, but my favs online are COD4, Quake Wars, and Wolfenstein ET. Also, UT2k4 is good even though I only played the demo, the new one sucks imo.

Goateh

UT 3? Online play and skirmish matches, great for just playing off and on.

OP
X

XZit

Dunno if it will matter.
But I'll be running 2 gb ddr2 1066 ram
3.0ghz
an a 512mb 8800gt

What do you guys think about supreme commander?
I like the DoW series-but honestly gets boring.
Company of heroes series is awesome imo. I've only played the demo of opposing fronts tough. But I like that sort of detailed stradegy.

Also what do you guys think about homeworld 2 vs. sins of a solar empire? Control and playability wise?

UT3 looks promising.

pz

IR1

Supreme Commander is pretty deep. It was too much for me. I used to have the patience for games like that. I would not call it a game that is easy to jump in and out of.

Let me recommend TF2 (Orange Box), it is fun to jump into for a while and then jump out.

I wish I could give you an RTS recommendation from my own experience besides Supreme Commander. I have heard Sins o teh Solar Emp is OTH* though!!.

*(off the hook).

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
Orange Box. Hands down. 5 great games, one low price. Portal plays for 2 hours and is great fun. TF2 is pick-up-and-go. HL2E1 and E2 last about 2 to 3 hours each, and HL2, well, you can do that on multiple play-throughs if you like.

For value, you cannot beat The Orange Box. It's like, God's Gift to Gaming.

jivetrky

Orange Box. Hands down. 5 great games, one low price. Portal plays for 2 hours and is great fun. TF2 is pick-up-and-go. HL2E1 and E2 last about 2 to 3 hours each, and HL2, well, you can do that on multiple play-throughs if you like.

For value, you cannot beat The Orange Box. It's like, God's Gift to Gaming.

2 hours for Portal? I got a lot more out of it than that. I'm one of those explore everything type of people though, but still 2 hours seems short for that game. :shrug:

Either way, Orange Box is definitely a great deal!

Aktunka

While I love BioShock (someone above mentioned it) I would not recommend it to you based on what you posted you are looking for. BioShock is a game that you really need to enjoy a story driven single player game. If you are just looking for quick and dirty action and not wanting to be tied down by a narrative guiding you into a game world then I would definitely say it is not the game you are looking for right now.

That being said, CoD 4 is great as an FPS and World in Conflict is a great game overall. Well worth playing both of them. CoD 4 has some excellent missions in it as well so be prepared for some fun.

Leviathan41

Yeah I think those gameplay time estimates are a little low, it took me longer than 2 hours to get through Portal and about 4-5 hours each for Ep. 1 and 2, but maybe Oni is just that good :p

I do agree that there is no better deal in PC gaming than the Orange Box. Get it!

jivetrky

While I love BioShock (someone above mentioned it) I would not recommend it to you based on what you posted you are looking for. BioShock is a game that you really need to enjoy a story driven single player game. If you are just looking for quick and dirty action and not wanting to be tied down by a narrative guiding you into a game world then I would definitely say it is not the game you are looking for right now.

That being said, CoD 4 is great as an FPS and World in Conflict is a great game overall. Well worth playing both of them. CoD 4 has some excellent missions in it as well so be prepared for some fun.

Well, you could certainly just play Bioshock in a quick and dirty fashion, but it would be a terrible injustice to one of the best games ever :)

OP
X

XZit

awesome advice so far.
I'll def. check out orange box for sure.

DomoRawks

Supreme Commander is not a short game, its just not.
Its awesome, and if you can learn how to play it well enough to not get constantly steam rollered online, its great fun.

Although you could play the total wars for 20 minutes, I cant imagine it would be much fun.