• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for New PSU (got 9800P, need more pwr)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

doc6886

I was told that the reason that my Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB is giving me less FPS than my GeForce 3 (yes, I've reformatted twice, installed service pack one, downloaded all the updated drivers, ect., so I know it's a problem with my hardware) is that my PSU is only 250W and probably has a really weak 12V rail. I have a Pentium 4 Willamette 2 GHz, 768 MB RDRAM, Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB, 40 GB HD... all running on a 250W power supply. So, I went shopping for some power supplies.

Came across an "Achieve AX550 550W Dual Fan Switiching Power Supply" on sale for $20 (reduced from $30) on the website http://www.topmicrousa.com/achieveps550.html.

The description of the voltage rails are as follows (it doesn't say it on that site, but I found it on a different site):

+3.3V 40A
+5V 46A
+12V 24A

So... does this look good for $20? I mean $20?!?!? That's freaking cheap! I was looking at other 550W powersupplies with around the same voltages and they were all the way up to $100-$200. What do you guys know about Achieve Power Supplies? Reliable, cheap, ect?

Do graphics cards AND CPUs really use the power on the 12V rail... and what do you think my needs are for my system (mentioned earlier in the post)?

You almost deffinatly need a new PSU.
I don't know that lower voltages would cause slower preformance but you probably do need more power.

I wouldn't get that PSU though. A 350w or 530w fortron is a good low price deal, no-name PSU brands are really if. If your PSU dies it could take a number of things with it so a quality PSU is reletivly important.

I am curious though, what are you voltages at? (5v 12v 3.3v)
You can get them with this program.

and
Welcome To The Forums!:D
Feel Free to Introduce Yourself:D

Oh, and CPUs often do you 12v, I am not sure about graphics cards but I wouldn't be surprised.

Another good line of psu's is Antec TruePower series. Great rails and one of the best power supplies on the market. It may cost a little more but whats an extra $20 or so for the peace of mind?

Tread

I'm gonna start pimpin the $27 300W Fortron. If you disagree, look in my sig. All most computers ever draw at most is around 250W-300W. If you have a power supply that can handle this reliably, you won't have any problems.

Your processor draws voltage from the +12v rail, and your video card about 50W from both the +3.3v and +5v.

CrashOveride said:
I am curious though, what are you voltages at? (5v 12v 3.3v)
You can get them with this program.
Okay I downloaded the program but now how do I use it? It says "Currently Processing: (idle):" :(

sandman001 said:
Nope, that PSU is crap.
What about this PSU makes it so bad? Just want to know why you all say not to get it...

Install it and open the dashboard, it should tell you your current voltages for all the rails I mentioned.

The PSU has no reputation, usuly that is for a reason unless they are brand new (could be the case but I would not recommend an untested PSU, ever). So while it is possible that it isn't crap it is for more likly that it is overrated and low quality in general.

Antec
PC Power and Cooling
Enermax (sorta - some people, like me hate them and some people seem to love them :-/)
Fortron/Sparkel
Channel Well (makes Antec's PSUs)
are the most often recommended and most reputable PSU companies around, it would be a good idea to get one of their PSUs unless you like risks:p

If you get another psu get the 350w Fortron for a budget or the 530w Fortron. I have it and it works perfect. They work just as good as Antecs but cost much less.

Edited old post.

Ah ****, I downloaded the wrong program... let me try to find the right one :(

Okay... I think something's wrong.

Attachments

• mbm5.jpg
    mbm5.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 69
The thing that's wrong with it, is just that it's terribel quality.

No psu is going to give you 500watts or whatever for 20 bucks.

There's a reason it's cheaper than everything else, it's terrible.

I think that Achieve is made by ToPower, but I'm not sure, and while I haven't read anything great about ToPower, I don't think they're the very, very worst, like Q-tec or Deer/Allied/Cogegen/L&C/Logic/<insert name of animal here>. At the very least, I'd look up the registration numbers printed under the RU (www.ul.com) and CSA (www.csa.ca) safety certifications because I've found some numbers to be fake.

I'd really like to see what an Achieve looks like inside because that seems to be a good indicator of quality, at least when it comes to separating the worst junk from everything else. http://terasan.okiraku-pc.net/dengen/ has lots of pictures (Babelfish doesn't translate it very well) and also a table showing the different brand names used by various manufacturers.

Inside, a 300W Fortron/Sparkle weighs more, has bigger components, and is more crowded than most cheap PSUs rated for much higher power, and it wouldn't surprise me if it can put out more power than they can. And www.newegg.com sells 300-350W Fortron-made PSUs for as little as $25, delivered, some sold under brands like Hi-Q and Power-Q

What is the RU? If it is something on the PSU then I can't get the registration number because I didn't get this PSU. Although I still might order it because it's got good voltage rails and it's cheap :D I don't know though, everyone here seems to think Fortrons are amazing PSUs...

doc6886 said:
What is the RU?

It's the logo of the Underwriter's Laboratories on the label... looks like a backwards UR.

I agree though with LMC - these don't quite look up to the quality level of Fortron, which is a brand proven countless times around these forums :)

Well I can tell you that the Antec TruePower 330w has done me wrong! I only have 3 fans, 1 hdd, 2 cd players and I can't get up to 2.3Ghz, no matter what! It's not supplying enough STABLE voltage to my cpu.

So, I'd go with something higher if I were you. But those 300w foltrons might be more stable then my antec, so I can't comment on those.

Gautam said:
I'm gonna start pimpin the $27 300W Fortron. If you disagree, look in my sig. All most computers ever draw at most is around 250W-300W. If you have a power supply that can handle this reliably, you won't have any problems.

Your processor draws voltage from the +12v rail, and your video card about 50W from both the +3.3v and +5v.

I would agree. That's an awsome PSU for $32 shipped.
The 300w Fortron are great PSU. :)
However, I would NOT recommend that 120mm bottom
fan model. I've tried both and the fsp300-60atv with
the single 80mm back fan is just as stable, but is more quiet and
gives me lower internal temps as well.
That huge bottom fan seemed like a good idea at first.
But once I got it installed I discovered that most of the
air remained trapped within the body of the PSU, thus making
the fan more noisy. Poor cooling characteristics too.

Again, I'd definitely recommend the Fortron fsp300-60atv.
Many use them to power their heavily loaded dual CPU rigs
without a hitch. All Fortron are underrated.
Some even use the 250w models for their NF7-S based
systems.

Best of luck! :)

Fortron fsp300-60atv = $30 shipped from NewEgg

Last edited:
Back