• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for pump assurances

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

Ok, several years ago, I got a Danger Den Mag II LE pump to try out in my system.

I was using an Eheim 1250, and wanted to try a smaller DC pump.

It worked for a few months until I started having problems.

Turned out it developed a crack in the housing and leaked fluid into the 24 pin power socket on my motherboard. Since it was a non-conductive fluid I was using, it didn't kill the board, but it was affecting the power as it dried out.

Here is are a couple of pictures of the crack:

100_0378.jpg

100_0371.jpg

I'm going to be rebuilding my system in a few months, and I'm planning on redoing may w/c too. New cpu block and a chipsets/mosfets combined block. I'm not sure my current pump is the best option for those blocks, and would like to try a DC pump again, but would like a bit of a guide, plus some assurance that something like this won't happen again.

Thanks! :thup:

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
Either a D5/MCP-655 or a DDC3.2 w/ aftermarket top will treat you well. If you stick with the stock top on the 655, you don't even need to attach a barb, they're installed already. If you go with a 355, just don't over-tighten the barbs and strip or crack the acetal / acrylic and you'll be fine.

Prime

nm stinks thatit happened though, im thinking of dipping my toes intowc, soon for the quietness :)

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
I have a D5, although it isn't installed as I don't have all the parts I need for my loop. The D5 with the stock top is built like a tank. Its not so much that barbs are installed, but they are molded in. Of course, if you go with a D5, make sure to get the vario model, and also keep in mind that they are a little on the bulky side. From what I remember reading, the sweet spot for noise to performance ratio is around the 3-4 setting. Also, the non vario model (I think that's the one with the tach wire) has less pressure and flow than the vario.

Spawn-Inc

+1 to the D5 or DDC with aftermarket tops.

i run 2 D5's in series should one dye on me.

xtreeme

Disabled
100_0378.jpg

Did you use barbs with BSP (straight) or NPT (tapered) threads ? that damage you got there looks like a typical damage caused by that NPT threads are tightened too much.
Better go BSP barbs when you shall use them in plastics, plexi - and even acetal. A little thread sealant is mandatory when you use BSP threads without O rings. Even thread tape will do in such low pressure systems.

OP
torin3

torin3

Did you use barbs with BSP (straight) or NPT (tapered) threads ? that damage you got there looks like a typical damage caused by that NPT threads are tightened too much.
Better go BSP barbs when you shall use them in plastics, plexi - and even acetal. A little thread sealant is mandatory when you use BSP threads without O rings. Even thread tape will do in such low pressure systems.

I used the barbs that came with it, which are straight pipe threads. The photo doesn't show it well, but they were used with o-rings. They were only finger tight, and didn't leak durring the leak testing.

(I work in a machine shop and used to work in the QC department...I know what you mean by straight pipe and tapered pipe threads. I've used thread gages for both straight and tapered pipe threads. Internal and external.)