• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for recomendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RedlineDyno

Registered
Hello, this is my setup:

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
Intel Core i7-930 currently @ 3.8ghz
Mushkin 1TB SSD
16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP ram
Gigabyte Nvdia GTX-970 G1
Thermalright U120eXtreme CPU cooler push/pull
Antex 900 case
EVGA Super Nova 850 G2 80+ PSU

I now have my cpu connected to my 65" 4k HDR tv and would like to be able to max or come close to maxing most games at 4k.

Option 1. Do I buy and identical 970 and SLi? I can get one for $230

Option 2. Do I buy a brand new higher end card? Cost or recommended card?

Option 3. Do I upgrade my mb, cpu, ram and get a higher end card? Cost and recommendations?

I don't care so much about price as I do value or bang for my buck. I'm sure I can sell the 970 and get some money back. How well would 970s in SLi perform? Or am I better off getting a new card or possibly rebuilding more than that since my mb/cpu/ram are 6+ years old at this point. Thanks

Blaylock

"That Backfired" Senior Member
Personally I would grab a single 1080ti for now. What speed and CAS are you running the ram? Overclock the crap out of the CPU and RAM to get it to last a little longer but eventually they will need upgrading too.

OP
R

RedlineDyno

Registered
Personally I would grab a single 1080ti for now. What speed and CAS are you running the ram? Overclock the crap out of the CPU and RAM to get it to last a little longer but eventually they will need upgrading too.

Thanks. Yea I'm researching a lot and thinking the same thing. Are the 1080 Ti FE's going to be replaced anytime soon? I don't mind waiting 3 to 6 months if it's worth it. My CPU is @ 3.8ghz, ram 1900mhz 8:8:8:24, GPU is +140mhz core clock +500mhz memory and 112% power.

DaveB

Hello, this is my setup:

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
Intel Core i7-930 currently @ 3.8ghz
Mushkin 1TB SSD
16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP ram
Gigabyte Nvdia GTX-970 G1
Thermalright U120eXtreme CPU cooler push/pull
Antex 900 case
EVGA Super Nova 850 G2 80+ PSU

I now have my cpu connected to my 65" 4k HDR tv and would like to be able to max or come close to maxing most games at 4k.

Option 1. Do I buy and identical 970 and SLi? I can get one for $230

Option 2. Do I buy a brand new higher end card? Cost or recommended card?

Option 3. Do I upgrade my mb, cpu, ram and get a higher end card? Cost and recommendations?

I don't care so much about price as I do value or bang for my buck. I'm sure I can sell the 970 and get some money back. How well would 970s in SLi perform? Or am I better off getting a new card or possibly rebuilding more than that since my mb/cpu/ram are 6+ years old at this point. Thanks
Since you "don't care so much about price" and wish to "max or come close to maxing most games at 4K" you should do a complete system rebuild with the recommended 1080 Ti. So go with Option 3.

Figure on spending $450 to $650 for a CPU/Mobo combo with 16GB DDR4-3000 depending on which CPU you go for: Kaby Lake i5-7600K or Ryzen 5 1500X on the low end; to Kaby Lake i7-7700K or Ryzen 7 1700 on the high end. Intel builds are easier right now as AMD Ryzen motherboard manufacturers are struggling with the new platform. If you can find one in stock, the 1080 Ti starts at a little over $700. For Intel build, get a SLI capable $125 to $150 Z270 LGA 1151 motherboard and you'll have to get a SLI capable $150 to $180 X370 AM4 board. You can pay a lot more for the motherboards or for higher-end RAM but I wouldn't recommend doing that. But it is your money.

Blaylock

"That Backfired" Senior Member
The 1080ti's were just released a couple of months ago. I wouldn't anticipate anything new from nVidia until the new pascal Titan comes out. Those are generally ridiculously priced and in my opinion not worth it.

||Console||

......aaaaaand the new Titan has just come out. Titan Xp. Monster of a card and a monster of a sticker...as expected.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/titan-xp/?ncid=so-twi-tnxplh-11414
I dont think thats new . wasn't that out along time ago and the TI is just a gimped(ram) version on the Xp ? for less $ .

I could be wrong I havent really been "Online" yet today

Edit YUP You were right I thought the last card was called the XP cause EVERY youtuber called it that =)

"The original $1,200 Pascal-based Titan X shattered performance records, but the recently released GeForce GTX 1080 Ti rendered it obsolete, offering slightly faster performance for just $700 as Nvidia prepares for Radeon Vega’s imminent release.

The Titan Xp restores natural balance to Nvidia’s lineup by upping CUDA cores and clock speeds. Whereas the original Titan X Pascal (and the GTX 1080 Ti) packed 3,584 CUDA cores, the new version upgrades to a full-fat version of Nvidia’s GP102 graphics processor, with 3,840 cores. Those cores are faster, too, with a boost clock of 1,582MHz compared to the Titan X’s 1,531MHz."

Last edited: