• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for SATA help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sammy5gs

Hey Guys...

I am building a new rig for a friend, and he wants to use a Samsung SP8012C SATA Hard Drive. The mobo is an Aopen AK-86L.

Now, I will be honest with you, I have never setup a SATA before. And before I forget, it is not going to be used in a RAID array, just a single SATA HDD. He also has a DVD Rom that he wants to put on the IDE Channel. The OS he wants on is Windows XP Pro.

When I installed all the hardware and got into the Bios, I did not see the SATA drive. I just saw the DVD Rom as Primary Master IDE. Now, I thought at this point I screwed up, and shoudl have put the DVD-Rom on the Secondary IDE Channel. So I re-wire the cable, and got back into Bios, and still no SATA? I then go through the process of claiming ignorance and pretend to believe this never happenned so I go about trying to install XP from the DVD. Everything looks right up until I get to the point where it tells me XP cannot find a HDD.

Bottomline, please help the SATA-noob here. What is going on and how can I get this thing up and running?

Last edited:

Vio1

make sure you have SATA enabled in the bios... if so, make sure you have the SATA pluged in the right slot, and powered with only 1 powersupply (cause some HDDs come with power in either SATA or old fashion power plugs.. use either but not both.)

OP
sammy5gs

sammy5gs

Vio1 said:
make sure you have SATA enabled in the bios... if so, make sure you have the SATA pluged in the right slot, and powered with only 1 powersupply (cause some HDDs come with power in either SATA or old fashion power plugs.. use either but not both.)

thanks for the fast reply Vio1. SATA is enabled in Bios. SATA is plugged in the right slot, and powered with the SATA power plug from PSU.

Mr.Radar

SATA drives aren't detected in the mobo's BIOS as an IDE drive, but they should be detected in the SATA controller's BIOS (on my NF7-S, with SATA enabled, it'll show another screen between detecting the IDE drives and booting windows where it will detect SATA drives, with the option to enter the SATA BIOS and setup a RAID array).

EDIT: Also, when Windows asks you for the driver disk for a RAID or SCSI controller, you need to put in driver disk for the SATA controller (Windows sees SATA drives as SCSI drives).

Docta_Z

I had the same problem..

then in my Abit box I noticed a disk labeled SATA drivers, I disconnected all my IDE drives (so I didn't accidently use them) and let the system find no HD's and ask me to insert drivers for any other type of storage. I plopped in the disk and choose the SATA drivers for windows XP. Setup loaded them and BAM I had me a windows XP installation on a SATA drive.

Pretty Spiffy.