• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for some build advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MRD

I'm looking to build a faster mythtv frontend. I need it to be able to handle huludesktop as well. Figure on 1080 HD H.264 as well... I want it to last for a while.

A couple requirements... has to be amd phenom or phenom II based. This is because I run Gentoo and my existing systems are of this arch, and I do not want to have to compile for multiple architectures.

My biggest question is the motherboard. I need it to be matx, have at least 1 PATA channel, gigabit ethernet, and pci-e v2. I am not too up on the nb/sb chipsets right now so would appreciate some advice. Linux compatibility is also a must.

I am wondering about whether to use a discrete graphics card - how much will it matter? It can't be huge as the case is not that big. It has to be nvidia (Linux issues). Dsub or DVI-I is needed - DVI-D won't work with the TV. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Also, any other general recommendations would be appreciated.