• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for video card recomendations.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
My wife got a new monitor as a gift from our son. It's a 1080p monitor and it is really nice. Now she doesn't use the computer much, she has a laptop, several tablets and her phone but she does like to use the PC once in a while. Presently I put in a silent passive cooling 9600gt. It's old but always worked well with the 19" 4:3 monitor she had up until now. However, this old card does not even seem to keep up with basic web based email.

I would like to stay passive but would take a very quiet fan based cooling. I'm presently interested in the 1030 and the 750 cards but I'm not sold on either yet.

No gaming no video. I mean we just need to keep a picture on the screen and little else. I'd be willing to go with higher specs in the interest of future proofing.

Budget set to less than $200 USD which is probably more than enough.

I used a true single slot MSI GT 1030 with a small fan in a tiny ITX build and I never heard the fan.

You guys are awesome. I love EVGA for the way they have treated me in the past. While I've had trouble with MSI, I'm happy to know about your experience and 1) because MSI does have a good rating as a company and 2) because my poor experience was a long time again and 3) I need to just let it go, I'll look to see what they offer too.

I've been hemming and hawing and now I've got myself into the GTX 1050Ti line of thinking. My thoughts are: No additional power connectors needed. Faster than the RX 560 which also requires no power cable. Potentially quiet with minimal fan noise. Able to push pixels to 1080p screen and just a little more.

The 1030 and 710 might just be too anemic to keep up with the 1080p. If I choose a 1050Ti, I'll need to keep in mind that I want a fan that runs quiet. With her usage, the fan could run at the lowest speeds perhaps?

The ACX coolers are very quiet, that's what my GTX 970s use & my old GTX 650. They do make some noise running f@h maintaining 75C. But I think the fans are actually stopped until they get a bit of a load on them.
I'm still pitching the EVGA B-Stock for the GTX 1050 Ti too.

I used the GTX 650 for Lightroom photo work on a 1920x1200 monitor for several years. I only upgraded because I found a good deal on an RX480 8GB. You should be fine with a 1050, but since the 1050 Ti is still well below your budget - why not? :)

I have a couple of msi cards with the twin frozer cooling, quieter than a church mouse, even at 100%.
just as a note, I have had less rma's with msi than with evga.

The ACX coolers are very quiet, that's what my GTX 970s use & my old GTX 650. They do make some noise running f@h maintaining 75C. But I think the fans are actually stopped until they get a bit of a load on them.
I'm still pitching the EVGA B-Stock for the GTX 1050 Ti too.

I used the GTX 650 for Lightroom photo work on a 1920x1200 monitor for several years. I only upgraded because I found a good deal on an RX480 8GB. You should be fine with a 1050, but since the 1050 Ti is still well below your budget - why not? :)

Sold. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on that exact one. Thanks guys.

Back