• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to build a $2.5k rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You can overclock it yourself in 30 seconds :). Use newegg. It's cheaper.

I'm in Australia so Newegg don't ship to me. I could do post forwarding but by the time we do all that it ends up being more expensive than PC Case Gear.

Plus I want the fans :p.

Aah Australia. Ok well if you want dual fans get something else like an Asus DCUII or an MSI Twin Frozr. Two fans doesn't do it. It's two fans + a good heatsink. Accelero Xtreme is also an excellent cooler. It has 3 fans.

Aah Australia. Ok well if you want dual fans get something else like an Asus DCUII or an MSI Twin Frozr. Two fans doesn't do it. It's two fans + a good heatsink. Accelero Xtreme is also an excellent cooler. It has 3 fans.

I've found the Twin Frozr, but also a Gigabyte one with....3 FANS!!??111///?? :D

The Gigabyte variant is also $30 cheaper (y).

Heatsink isn't very great. Three fans, but cards in SLI/CFX still tend to overheat.

Any graphic card will run dual monitors. AMD is better at multi-screen gaming, as it cards come with more vRAM and it supports 3+ monitors on one card. NVIDIA is fine if you're only going to be gaming on one of the screens, AMD if you're going with the same spanned across both.

This is the build I've 99% locked in. I have selected a few more fans and things but they are not in the picture.

The excel spreadsheet in the corner is for the prices and retailers, the PC Case Gear wishlist is just for pics :).
Thoughts?

Attachments

• list.png
    list.png
    55.6 KB · Views: 34
^$73 for an optical drive??
That's a little crazy IMO. My Bluray/dvdRW drive was 30.
That's Australia for you.

For media editing, you want to stick with an NVIDIA card. It's CUDA hardware-acceleration feature is supported by more programs.

Review on that PSU seems pretty blah. Everything is in spec, and it's not going to blow up and harm your PC, but it's not good by a longshot. Stick to something on that list: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589708
I believe AMD also has a hardware-accelerated offering. I'm happy with the current GFX cards that I've selected.

@PSU, it was on a recommended list at another computer hardware forum, and it is at a good price.

I wouldn't trust the PSU based on the review at [H]. It passed, but it was...meh.

$30 for a BD Drive is insanely cheap, even in the US...

I wouldn't trust the PSU based on the review at [H]. It passed, but it was...meh.

$30 for a BD Drive is insanely cheap, even in the US...

Can you link me to the review? I can't seem to find it...

P.S. This has everything:
list-2.png

Do you HAVE to run wireless on this thing? Unless you have a really poor internet connection, running an actual cable to your router will always be faster and have a higher reliability. JM2C.

Back